Ready to play????

Gothim!!!

Ready to play????

Hi i just bought a gray-nicolls bat the other day and it had a "REady to play" sticker on it. but the guy at the shop said to me that i should still knock it in for about an hour before taking it down to the net...
If this is true why would it say ready to play??? i mean i still have to knock it in for an extra hour. Isn't this fault advertisement????

im confused hahaha :cursing:

Re: Ready to play????

:) Well it happens to most of us.
But to be on the safer side it is better to oil & knock the bat for better batter result :D
U can refer to the "Bat & Equipment Guide" and follow the "Bat Care & Advice".
U will find interesting & useful information related to Ur query.
Secondly; the Podshaver's story is also an interesting video to watch.

You could use the bat straight away if you wish, but you may not get the best performance from it nor the greatest lifespan.

Even if a bat is marked as ready to play or pre-knocked in, it will still need some preparation work in order for it to be truly ready to play. On average you can expect it to need 2-4 hours of knocking in and a few light coats of raw linseed oil.

As for false advertising, well, I can see your point, but the argument would be that in reality all bats are 'ready to play'; it's up to you if you want to go through the process of knocking in and oiling.

yea ummm the face of it got this kinda plastic cover on it too should i knock the bat with that thing on???

Yeah, the plastic is just there to help protect the face. It'll mean that'll you only need to be a bit of oil on the back of the bat and it should also mean less knocking in time.

I really don't see the point of the so called ready to play bats, if you use them from the word go they break, so you have to knock them in which defeats the object. :confused:

No, they don't break if you use them from the word go, I have, and they've been fine, but I prefer normal bats TBH.

The main problem is that people forget that willow is a natural product and sometimes you just get a bad one.

It can really colour people's judgements when they do have a bat that breaks after only a few uses, as I guess they expect it to last a while. Saying that, most if not all companies will normally replace the bat if it does happen.

so let say if i use my new "Ready to play" bat this weekend without any knocking etc and it breaks i can ring up Gray-Nicolls and get a new bat???
cause that'd be something i expect from them :p

In theory, you can but it all depends on how and where it breaks.

If it's just a crack then they are likely to just repair it, if it snaps in two then you'll probably get a like for like replacement.

Also, it only really applies to bats up to maybe 3 or 4 months old, I would say and even then you may only be looking at a reduction on a new one.

I'm not overly familiar with every bat companies procedures but the ones I've worked for have always been pretty fair as as far I know most companies are the same.

Jonesy said:
No, they don't break if you use them from the word go, I have, and they've been fine, but I prefer normal bats TBH.

Ok, I was over egging the pudding but you know what I meant. There is a wide gulf between preparing as bat properly and merely getting it reasdy to play with.

Back