Reflective practice - Spin Bowling

Re: Reflective practice - Spin Bowling

Jim2109;404618 said:
Dave, as another suggestion for adopting a "biggun", perhaps try and master the zooter (round the loop backspinner).

the zooter is my "go to" ball in times of crisis, for 2 reasons. firstly, its very hard to impart pure backspin with a clean seam (although i can do it most of the time), so its very easy to impart large amounts of side spin as well. if im ever struggling to generate any turn, or even sometimes if im struggling with accuracy, il go to the zooter and not cock my wrist quite so much and get one to turn big to impose some presence on the batsman.

the second reason, is that because of the way i impart the spin with a huge forward flick, it naturally wants to flight upwards. so if im struggling for length and dropping short, then the zooter delivered off of the front foot more often than not finds a solid line and length.

given that you still think you have a touch of the googlies, it might be worth adopting this delivery since it is meant to be pure backspin, uses a totally different wrist angle, and thus there is no possible way that you can bowl a googly. it will either be pure backspin, back and sidespin (and BIG turn), or at worse a scrambled seam that skids through straight. the natural variations of the zooter are excellent.

Yeah I'm kind of on the verge of that. I'm begiining to suspect that perhaps I've got a mild form of Dyspraxia, but I'm pretty damn sure that my brains telling my body to do one thing and all the evidence demonstrates that I'm not doing what I think I'm doing or intend to happen. I've just done an on-line test and it's coming up with results such as - 'Fine and gross motor skills could be underdeveloped'.

Following that up I've then come across - Gross motor skills

Gross motor skills refer to the ability of children to carry out activities that require large muscles or groups of muscles. Muscles or groups of muscles should act in a coordinated fashion to accomplish a movement or a series of movements. Examples of gross motor tasks are walking, running, throwing something, jumping, standing on 1 leg, playing hopscotch, and swimming. Posture is an important element to consider in the assessment of gross motor skills. Adequate posture may make all the difference between being able or not able to execute a movement. This is particularly true in infants and young children. Six-month-old infants may be able to reach for a toy if sitting, but they may be unable to organize this movement if their trunk is tilted or straining to maintain a vertical position.

I know this pertains to kids and the development of children, but some of the descriptions in there activities that require large muscles or groups of muscles. Muscles or groups of muscles should act in a coordinated fashion to accomplish a movement or a series of movements. sound like the issues I'm having with getting the ball to leave my hand spinning in the desired direction?

But going back to the original point yeah - if I turn the wrist so that it feels like I'm doing the much vaunted 'Karate Chop' action that feels like I'm releasing with a partial back-spin and produces the bigger leg-break, but it's inconsistent and wayward with line and length, so there's definitely potential there, but I'd just like a ball coming out of the hand with 90 degree spin to flight direction landing on a good line and length. I feel if I could do that I could then fine tune that?

I had an hour or so at 18 yards with a 4 out of 6 per over success rate. The fails were balls that went legside and straight on or were massive wides down the leg-side. In about 72 balls I think I threw one overs worth were I had five good balls. Not brilliant but not as good as the results over 17 yards. I'll just have to keep plugging away at 18 yards and see how it pans out?

Back