Relativly new leg spin bowler

fatesjester

Hi all, i know theres a fair bit of leg spin know how and experience in here, so you guys should be great for giving me a bit of advice :D

now, ive decided that my medium pace was going no where, was lucky to get 6 balls on the pitch to be honest. SO i decided to take up wrist spinning. Has actually been going quite good really, accuracy is now coming only quite nicely, but spin has always alluded me. I've been told my by team mates that the ball is coming out with the seam vertical, so its basically just as if the ball was delivered by a pacer.

A guy from the 1sts spotted that i was almost bowling it off spin, which confused the shit out of me cause it defintly shouldnt be.

My camera broke unfortunatly, so cant take a video, but if i can get one ill upload it so you guys can have a look. But if you've got any bits of advice or help that'd be great.

Ive been practicing leg spin for a year or so now. At the start I struggled to get any turn and couldn't understand it because I felt I was putting good revs on the ball. What I found was I was actually bowling top spinners. So I suggest trying different wrist positions, almost to exageration. For me bowling what felt like a backspinner worked out to be a leg break. For others its the opposite so just experiment. I think it is very common with legspin for the brain to think the wrist is doing one thing when it is actually doing something else.
To get a proper understanding of the basic deliveries look up Terry Jenners videos on youtube and buy Philpotts book on wrist spin bowling as a must.
Keep with it, I have managed to take 3 wickets with leg spin this year although rarely getting a bowl but I tell you its more satisfying than 10 wickets bowling pace.

Ive been practicing leg spin for a year or so now. At the start I struggled to get any turn and couldn't understand it because I felt I was putting good revs on the ball. What I found was I was actually bowling top spinners. So I suggest trying different wrist positions, almost to exageration. For me bowling what felt like a backspinner worked out to be a leg break. For others its the opposite so just experiment. I think it is very common with legspin for the brain to think the wrist is doing one thing when it is actually doing something else.
To get a proper understanding of the basic deliveries look up Terry Jenners videos on youtube and buy Philpotts book on wrist spin bowling as a must.
Keep with it, I have managed to take 3 wickets with leg spin this year although rarely getting a bowl but I tell you its more satisfying than 10 wickets bowling pace.

i think thats what is happening to me, it comes out as a topspinner. Ill try wrist variations when i have my next net session, thanks.

Hi all, i know theres a fair bit of leg spin know how and experience in here, so you guys should be great for giving me a bit of advice :D

now, ive decided that my medium pace was going no where, was lucky to get 6 balls on the pitch to be honest. SO i decided to take up wrist spinning. Has actually been going quite good really, accuracy is now coming only quite nicely, but spin has always alluded me. I've been told my by team mates that the ball is coming out with the seam vertical, so its basically just as if the ball was delivered by a pacer.

A guy from the 1sts spotted that i was almost bowling it off spin, which confused the shit out of me cause it defintly shouldnt be.

My camera broke unfortunatly, so cant take a video, but if i can get one ill upload it so you guys can have a look. But if you've got any bits of advice or help that'd be great.

Fast Jester there's a few drills you need to do all the time (see below). The first one across the body is for your leg break and the inward one will be for the big leg break and some of the back-spinners. When you do these you'll get the sense of how important your wrist position is when you release the ball. As Chippyben says - over-exaggerate what you're trying to do. I personally have to bowl with the sense that my wrist is almost in a Karate Chop position as it comes over my head, the reality is that when I do that it comes out as a leg break. It sounds as though this is possibly what you're doing - you think your wrist is doing one thing e.g. your palm is facing the bat as you release, whereas it's probably facing the on-side of the pitch and therefore producing a Top-Spinner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wAzBKmgYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zob1Md0HVqs

Back