revolutionary new cricket bat

gundalf7

revolutionary new cricket bat

revolutionary new cricket bat... or at least that is being billed as.
This new mongoose cricket bat is being used by batsman stuart law in the upcoming english domestic 20-20 cup. check out the link

Mongoose cricket bat set to take Twenty20 by storm - Telegraph

it looks certainly very different to a normal cricket bat, I think batsman have to big an advantage as it is in cricket and if the claims of this bat being 200% as powerful as a regular bat are true it will certainly not help bowlers in 20-20.

nb this bat has already been approved by the mcc

Re: revolutionary new cricket bat

im not sure on this one, i think it is the sensible thing, i always wondered why they couldnt make the whole bat the 'middle' instead of just the middle. but when you bring out new and improved bats it makes it so much easier for the batsman and old records go down the drain and you cant compare new and old bastman. the bowling side of the game has to lift the intensity. overs were reduced from 8 balls to 6 when bats were getting better and pitches more consistent. if a bat like this is introduced something to counter it for the bowling side is needed. i think boundaries have to be larger, but stadiums are only of a certain size. its a tricky one, i think the game will progress like this, for better of for worse.

as for changing the bats halfway through an innings i totally disagree with that. the only time a bat should be changed is when it is unfit for play and is dangerous.

I must be honest I cannot say that I see any benefit in using a mongoose. It has a smaller contact area and how do you cope with yorkers.. They show it playing length.short balls.. Interesting to note that Lou Vincent and Stuart Law are using this.. would love to know if this will get MCC approval.. I doubt it..

its the same length as a normal bat, so playing yorkers would be the same. the idea with it is to have the whole bat the 'middle' and not just the middle of the bat. it would actually be a little easier to play yorkers as the toe of the bat is about as thick as the rest of it, no tapering down. you could effectively hit a four straight down the ground from a yorker when playing with the toe of the bat. the main problem with it would be balance issues, its more like a golf club so you can gather more force and therefore more hitting power with a longer fulcrum, but just think of playing cricket with a golf club. the weight isnt balanced as well, and like they said in the video it will take time to get used to it, but it doesnt seem to lend itself to small dabs around the corner and fine shots, more out and out straight hitting power, like a baseball bat. even then it may be a little harder than usual (it may feel even better, i dont know, but thats what im guessing). also like was said, the shoulder of the bat doesnt give the batsman as much protection, and a lot of the time short balls coming at the body are played at late, if played late with this bat the blade would be completely missed.
another thing with the longer handle, a player could reach down like a hockey stick and play different shots, like a more precise sweep.
i dont mind it, but like i said it may make batting easier, but i dont see many people using it in any other form but T20s. i am completely against changing bats through the innings so it would be stupid to bring it out in a test.

mas cambios;350245 said:
Should add that it hasn't been approved by the ICC, they just haven't objected to it (yet).

MCC have approved it though, so it should be fine for a while yet.

Stuart Law used it yesterday. Didn't use it from the start, he started off with a normal bat, and then switched to this Mongoose bat once he was on 32, and went on to smash a massive six with it. Certainly seems to be working for him!

Do you think it's going to be allowed in proper cricket. Or will it be restricted to this Mickey Mouse 20/20 malarky?

King Pietersen;350360 said:
MCC have approved it though, so it should be fine for a while yet.

Stuart Law used it yesterday. Didn't use it from the start, he started off with a normal bat, and then switched to this Mongoose bat once he was on 32, and went on to smash a massive six with it. Certainly seems to be working for him!

what did he end up getting? did the mongoose help him get there or did it only allow him to hit this massive six?

someblokecalleddave;350420 said:
Do you think it's going to be allowed in proper cricket. Or will it be restricted to this Mickey Mouse 20/20 malarky?

i would like to see all three forms of the game working in harmony, so if it can be used in T20s then it should be used everywhere.
i say yes, it will be allowed, its just whether or not the players would prefer to use it. i think it could add an interesting element to the game, new tactics would derive to combat this bat, such as bowling in at the ribcage.
perhaps this will inspire pace bowlers to start bowling with some swing again, the only two bowlers i can think of in the australia team who can swing the ball consistently (but even then its not much) are lee and hilfy. like i said in my last post i think it may be unbalanced in that the bottom is hard to swing around and use your wrists effectively. which means one you half commit to a stroke with a normal bat, you are fully committed to it with the mongoose, as you would need much stronger wrists to bring it back round. if you are up against a swing bowler it is much harder to adjust your line of play to compensate if you even only half commit to a shot. same with spin bowlers, might bring out the big spinners, as i think are a little lacking too.
once again i havent used this bat, so maybe its better weighted then a normal bat, but this is my thoughts.
anyone else got thoughts on how it would handle and its balance?
also does anyone know if they go on sale to the public?

it is already on sale to the public
Mongoose - online shop

as for stuart law he only used it for 10 balls in the powerplay overs and only made 10 including the massive six before he was run out, this was a 3lb version of it.

Another question it brings up is will this bat have an effect on club cricket?

As for the balance i read somewhere it feels about 3-5oz lighter than the weigth as the pickup is better with the long handle.

I don't like the improvements they allow to bats. You don't see bowlers being given balls that are pre shined on one side or weighted, or made in a way that allows them to bowl faster or with more swing. The bats give the batsmen an unfair advantage to improve more than bowlers.

gundalf7;350025 said:
revolutionary new cricket bat... or at least that is being billed as.
This new mongoose cricket bat is being used by batsman stuart law in the upcoming english domestic 20-20 cup. check out the link

Mongoose cricket bat set to take Twenty20 by storm - Telegraph

it looks certainly very different to a normal cricket bat, I think batsman have to big an advantage as it is in cricket and if the claims of this bat being 200% as powerful as a regular bat are true it will certainly not help bowlers in 20-20.

nb this bat has already been approved by the mcc

CJ09;350487 said:
I don't like the improvements they allow to bats. You don't see bowlers being given balls that are pre shined on one side or weighted, or made in a way that allows them to bowl faster or with more swing. The bats give the batsmen an unfair advantage to improve more than bowlers.

i agree with you, but it seems to be the way the game must progress - just one of those things you cant stop.
i think its really unfair on past records, if bradman had a bat like everyone in these times and had a shorter boundary and much better pitches he would have averaged a hell of a lot more then he did. bowlers have been given shorter overs, a longer lasting ball with thicker seams, and small leeway with arm bending and so on, but the batting side of the game still outweighs the bowling side IMO.
then again if it werent for the bats of today we wouldnt see and be entertained by some of the big sixes and crazy shots, and, although this was mostly caused by the player himself, the great hayden on drives where the ball ploughs a hole through the fence, still takes a lot of skill to do it.

Boris;350242 said:
im not sure on this one, i think it is the sensible thing, i always wondered why they couldnt make the whole bat the 'middle' instead of just the middle. but when you bring out new and improved bats it makes it so much easier for the batsman and old records go down the drain and you cant compare new and old bastman. the bowling side of the game has to lift the intensity. overs were reduced from 8 balls to 6 when bats were getting better and pitches more consistent. if a bat like this is introduced something to counter it for the bowling side is needed. i think boundaries have to be larger, but stadiums are only of a certain size. its a tricky one, i think the game will progress like this, for better of for worse.

as for changing the bats halfway through an innings i totally disagree with that. the only time a bat should be changed is when it is unfit for play and is dangerous.

maybe a 4th stump??

loosin it really;350791 said:
maybe a 4th stump??

well, well, well. i have never thought of that. that is a very creative suggestion.
when i first read it i was surprised and thought it was completely stupid, but now that i thought about it, its not all that bad.
im not sure how it will go with traditionalists (including myself, as i am one, i like keeping the things that have been unchanged, unchanged), but i definitely see the logic. what about stump height? pitches are getting harder and flatter and as a result bouncing consistently and more. gone are the days where it was possible with a pace bowler to bowl someone from a half tracker, so maybe just a touch taller as well.
very creative thinking, i like it. a great first post too, welcome to the site.

i'm sure 4 stumps have been tried before, i'm not sure when or where or whether it was international cricket so i'm not sure if that is viable though it would definitely be game changing.

Larger stumps though is something I think should be seriously considered though as when you see hawkeye is international games alot of the balls are around the top of the stump height. It would definitely help the bowler without being to game changing and it wouldn't even effect low level cricket with low bouncing wickets as nearly all the ball hit the stumps anyway.

gundalf7;350976 said:
i'm sure 4 stumps have been tried before, i'm not sure when or where or whether it was international cricket so i'm not sure if that is viable though it would definitely be game changing.

Larger stumps though is something I think should be seriously considered though as when you see hawkeye is international games alot of the balls are around the top of the stump height. It would definitely help the bowler without being to game changing and it wouldn't even effect low level cricket with low bouncing wickets as nearly all the ball hit the stumps anyway.

yeah, i agree with that.
the only problem with it is the traditional side of things. some things just shouldnt be changed - stumps have been the same size for a very very long time. its like saying that cricket balls shouldnt be made of leather and should not be red for test cricket. thats the way its been for a very very long time and thats the way it should always be, even if there is a better material than leather and red is a little harder to see.

maybe to help the bowlers the LBW law should be revised, especially with challenging the umpire coming into the game and technology being used more and more. just cause it hit the pads 2 mm outside the line of the stumps doesnt mean it shouldnt be out.

Back