Ricky Ponting at 3

Beeswax

Ricky Ponting at 3

In test cricket, he is averaging 40.27 since the beginning of 2009. That is over 19 matches. (Cricinfo stats).

This would be fine if he was playing for Pakistan or the West Indies, in fact, they would probably be pleased with a 3 averaging that, but he is the skipper of Australia.

Is it time for him to move down the order?

I can't see it happening, but I think he needs to be at 5. However, we don't have an easy fit for 3. I'm not sure about Clarke yet. I would like to see Katich there, but then I'd like to see Watson at 6 and we can't get rid of both our openers at once and really when I look around the Shield comp from last year and at the Aus A team, I'm not sure who we have really knocking on the door.

There is Khawaja, Ferguson and Marsh and two of them haven't got great first class records. It's a conundrum.

In some ways, I feel like the selectors have backed themselves into a nice old corner with their 'stick with the same team' attitude over the batting line-up.

Punter has to start pulling his weight at 3 or we are stuffed in India and the Ashes.

Re: Ricky Ponting at 3

Beeswax;404436 said:
In test cricket, he is averaging 40.27 since the beginning of 2009. That is over 19 matches. (Cricinfo stats).

This would be fine if he was playing for Pakistan or the West Indies, in fact, they would probably be pleased with a 3 averaging that, but he is the skipper of Australia.

Is it time for him to move down the order?

I can't see it happening, but I think he needs to be at 5. However, we don't have an easy fit for 3. I'm not sure about Clarke yet. I would like to see Katich there, but then I'd like to see Watson at 6 and we can't get rid of both our openers at once and really when I look around the Shield comp from last year and at the Aus A team, I'm not sure who we have really knocking on the door.

There is Khawaja, Ferguson and Marsh and two of them haven't got great first class records. It's a conundrum.

In some ways, I feel like the selectors have backed themselves into a nice old corner with their 'stick with the same team' attitude over the batting line-up.

Punter has to start pulling his weight at 3 or we are stuffed in India and the Ashes.

it will never happen
we know how inflexible and stuck in their processes CA, Ponting, Nielson and Co are. Ponting will likely play at #3 and captain Australia for the next 4 years. He'll continue to bat first whenever he wins the toss and Mitch Johnson will continue to lead our attack..despite averaging 30+ and bowling poorly whenever it actually matters.

Ponting will continue to score his early 1 hundred per series then decline due to his lack of sleep after that. Australia will continue to have the wood over the minnows of NZ, Windies etc but languish between 3rd and 5th spot in the rankings...but CA will be satisfied as long as the money continues to roll in.

Roy00;404489 said:
it will never happen
we know how inflexible and stuck in their processes CA, Ponting, Nielson and Co are. Ponting will likely play at #3 and captain Australia for the next 4 years. He'll continue to bat first whenever he wins the toss and Mitch Johnson will continue to lead our attack..despite averaging 30+ and bowling poorly whenever it actually matters.

Ponting will continue to score his early 1 hundred per series then decline due to his lack of sleep after that. Australia will continue to have the wood over the minnows of NZ, Windies etc but languish between 3rd and 5th spot in the rankings...but CA will be satisfied as long as the money continues to roll in.

Well those are my worries too, but he won't remain skip if he loses the Ashes at home. I think that is the only thing that will have any effect on our NSP and management, bless their hidebound hides.

I forgot about Michael Klinger as a prospect, but the selectors completely ignore him. He's 28 and they appear to want 20 year olds or 30 year olds. So give him a couple more years and he might come into the reckoning.

Beeswax;404492 said:
Well those are my worries too, but he won't remain skip if he loses the Ashes at home. I think that is the only thing that will have any effect on our NSP and management, bless their hidebound hides.

I forgot about Michael Klinger as a prospect, but the selectors completely ignore him. He's 28 and they appear to want 20 year olds or 30 year olds. So give him a couple more years and he might come into the reckoning.

Klinger doesnt fit the mould...although nor does Katich but they're sticking with him now

also...runs scored on Adelaide Oval dont really count in CA's calculations...thats why SA bowlers have had a better time of getting selected over the years much moreso than batters

I have grave fears for this summer's Ashes...England look in good form and better prepared this time around...they're even practicing with Kooka balls...why dont our bowlers practice with Dukes before touring venues where they're going to be used? wonders will never cease.

if we lose..the media will blame Ponting, but the guys in charge will just say we were outplayed by better cricketers. the reality will be somewhere in between.

Roy00;404498 said:
Klinger doesnt fit the mould...although nor does Katich but they're sticking with him now

also...runs scored on Adelaide Oval dont really count in CA's calculations...thats why SA bowlers have had a better time of getting selected over the years much moreso than batters

I have grave fears for this summer's Ashes...England look in good form and better prepared this time around...they're even practicing with Kooka balls...why dont our bowlers practice with Dukes before touring venues where they're going to be used? wonders will never cease.

if we lose..the media will blame Ponting, but the guys in charge will just say we were outplayed by better cricketers. the reality will be somewhere in between.

England are also a confident team these days, with more experienced, yet younger players than we have. They have a better spin bowler and what looks to me like a bowling unit that can bowl AS A UNIT, unlike our lot that genuinely look like they don't really bowl in partnerships very often.

They will certainly be better prepared than they were last time. Andy Flower doesn't take anything for granted and they have had a lot of recent success in all forms of the game to feed off on.

Also this whole thing about Aus conditions might be a bit misleading. At the Gabba last summer against the West Indies, The ball was swinging and Ben Hilfenhaus was our best bowler in that match. And we all saw what happened at the SCG in swinging conditions. No Ben and the bowlers struggled almost as much as the batsmen did in the first innings.

If we have to rely on Ben Hilfenhaus to do all the work as soon as the conditions favour the bowlers, we are screwed. Which sounds ridiculous anyway and one of the reasons I am becoming fed up with Johnson. Who ever heard of a strike bowler who bowls really poorly, regularly, in favourable conditions?

He really is a 'Once in a Generation' bowler. And the less of them we turn up the better.

Ponting is ok at 3, he's a champion he will come good.Just a matter of time .Not like Australia have plenty candidates ( with the exeption of kilinger)for the number 3 position banging the door down.Klinger is a good player but i would still back Ponting at 3 over klinger and number 3 is a pivitol position in a side.Agreed Johnson is hardly a ones in a generation bowler.Pretty soon he'll need to be shown the door if his lack of form continues.Australia dont have a McGrath type of bowler in their team( bowler with incredible control who can keep things tight and also pick up wickets) so Johnson's wayward bowling is a liability and affects an attack which is already in experience.Bollinger and Hilfenhaus are Aussie 2 best bowlers , What is require is a bowler who can come in first change and be able to mantain the pressure, Copeland is my choice ( i know he's only played 5 games but that didnt stop the selectors from giving Siddle a crack at test cricket) Harris is a candidate for the third seamers spot but he is injured.

This is my say for the day

lethalhughes;405385 said:
Australia dont have a McGrath type of bowler in their team( bowler with incredible control who can keep things tight and also pick up wickets)...

His name is Stuart Clark. If you've forgotten him he's got an average of 21 and has 2-3 years of cricket left in him. If you want to replace Johnson (who is the 'experienced' one) you have to pick someone experienced. It won't be him unfortunately, but I really don't see why not.

Clark wont ever play for australia again.He was really good whiles in the team but age ,injuries and all that have catch up on him.Trent Copeland is the future.

This thread is about Ricky Ponting, not Stuart Clark guys.

As for Ponting, he'll probably stay at three for the remainder of his career unless he has a serious form slump. If Ponting were to drop down the order, who would take his spot? Clarke would be the logical choice but I don't know if he would fill the role all that well.

I can't see Clarke batting at 3 , well not anytime in the near future.The other options are bringing Klinger in the team- which as a few others have said wont happen,George Bailey is another option. I actually think Watson would go well at number 3.Seems to be able to play aggressively or conservatively base on the game situation and conditions.But i fully expect Ricky Ponting to stay at 3 till he retires.Btw why isn't anyone talking up North as a candidate for the number 3 position.

lethalhughes;405459 said:
I can't see Clarke batting at 3 , well not anytime in the near future.The other options are bringing Klinger in the team- which as a few others have said wont happen,George Bailey is another option. I actually think Watson would go well at number 3.Seems to be able to play aggressively or conservatively base on the game situation and conditions.But i fully expect Ricky Ponting to stay at 3 till he retires.Btw why isn't anyone talking up North as a candidate for the number 3 position.

Is that on the grounds that he can't do any worse than he has as 6? So a straight swap with Punter.

If it is a straight choice between him and Punter at 3, I would suspect that Punter just shades it.:p

Beeswax;405460 said:
Is that on the grounds that he can't do any worse than he has as 6? So a straight swap with Punter.

If it is a straight choice between him and Punter at 3, I would suspect that Punter just shades it.:p

Hilditch seems to think( with his toes) that North is a long term prospect so maybe his got a master plan of bringing North up the order at 3 when Ponting retires:p.

Back