'Right Arm Mendis'

FBI

'Right Arm Mendis'

Hi,

With the advent of Ajantha Mendis as a major force in world cricket, do people think that it is possible that 'Right Arm Mendis' becomes a legitamate, common bowling style within the next 20 years - pending Mendis' success of course.

Have anyone here attempted to bowl with the Mendis grip? How did it go?

Manee

Re: 'Right Arm Mendis'

I think cricket will still stay mostly conservative but there will be a few people, mostly from sub-continent nations who will try new grips and new ways of bowling and new variations.

I have heard there is a West Indian coming up that can bowl as fast as Brett Lee and spin it like Macgill. My mate heard it off a taxi driver. He believes him but I don't. Apparently he has been in hiding training everyday. Pfft.

I tried the 'carrom ball'. I failed miserably. I could barely get the ball down the pitch, if it landed on it at all.

However I think Mendis is a freak and his delivery style will, in my mind, remain unique. Sort of like Murali, no one has copied him as of yet and I don't think they will. Although if Mendis style becomes common and successful they would have to pay homage to him. It would be the done thing to do.

I think it would be hard to maintain control over the ball if one were to copy Mendis' carrom ball. I heard on commentary that it was very painful for Mendis to bowl the delivery and his finger used to swell up during the early days. So I don't think many will be successful in copying him.

mendis is not the first bowler to be able to jack iverson for australia bowled a similar sort of style in the 1950's. Mendis is going to be a big success though and it will be interesting to see if he stays injury free. It will definitely become more popular to try and bowl like it with the media scrutinizing his grips.

I've heard the stories too about his swelling hand from bowling the carrom ball and supposedly it actually hurts everytime for him to bowl it now but he;s used to it. I've started bowling the carrom ball as one of my variations works great bowling it out the back of the hand so it looks like a googly

my leg break release it nearly the same as mendis' as I spin it off my middle finger.

As for the story of a fast bowler spinning it like macgill it is physically impossible as any spinner will know as turn and pace are inversely proportional so to do it you would need to get roughly double the amount of revolutions warne did on the ball at least probablly more to account for grip off the surface and then somehow mix it so your body generates power forwards like a fast bowler and not onto the side of a ball like a normal spinner

Ive tried to bowl like Mendis and find it nearly impossible:D
I think he will be a big success like Murali, but i dont think
anyone else would be able to master the Mendis action

our u15 bwlr does that..... apart from he uses his ring finger..... i told him do it ages ago after some1 described liudons doosra and thats how i thought u did it.... i tried it and its not nice

does the thumb do anything?

Added 3 hour(s), 57 minute(s) and 35 second(s) later...

i can bowl the carrom bowl with my index finger.. the ball went the other way. Oh my god lol. only tried it with a tennis ball. I gripped it with my 2nd and 3rd finger on the ball with index finger bent behind the ball. Do you guys think ill be able to bowl like this with a real cricket ball?

vertially the same as for the off beak but with the 3rd finger resting on the edge of the ball and then rolls his fingers along the other side

I've tried the 'carrom ball' at training and i have got great success from it even though i am not a spin bowler i am still getting a lot of spin in the normal off spin and with the 'carrom ball' it shows to me that it does not spin as much which gets the batsmen

Back