running in..

AUSSIE_BOY

running in..

just a quick one..

wat pace should i b running in.. some say 75% of maximum pace... is this true???

my run up is 15 strides with 3 walking steps at the beginning..
i find this a very comfortable run up.. but sometimes struggle with wat pace i should run in at..

any advice???

Re: running in..

I think it's whatever you feel comfortable with. The idea of the run up is to get you to the crease and in a position to go through your action. It does help in generating pace but it's only a small percentage when compared with the rest of the action.

AUSSIE_BOY said:
just a quick one..

wat pace should i b running in.. some say 75% of maximum pace... is this true???

my run up is 15 strides with 3 walking steps at the beginning..
i find this a very comfortable run up.. but sometimes struggle with wat pace i should run in at..

any advice???

This is an interesting topic. Someone like Jason Gillespie has a bouncy run up which does not rely on speed. He is comfortable with that and any chance would likely result in ruining his rhythm.

On the other hand, the fastest, non slinging bowlers in the world (Lee, Akhtar, Steyn) all have tremendous ground speed when running in.

You should definately have enough speed to get through the crease with no significent discomfort. This should constitute your minimum run up speed. An example of someone not getting through the crease is Jason Gillespie (coincidence?) in the 2005 Ashes, look what happened there. Another example is Sreesanth in the Pataudi Trophy, he subsequently changed his run up to an all out sprint and now bowls 145kph.

If you wish to go with the sprint route, I'd say go with a speed where you can bowl 5 overs on the trot without any drop in speed due to fatigue.

I've heard of plenty of bowlers, who would of played u16s when I heard about it, in some national competition, where they could bowl 135kph (in u16s remember) but could only bowl it for a few overs, so if you want to sprint in and bowl fast, make sure you're fit enough to do it for a good spell of 5 or 6 overs, otherwise the word will get around and everyone will just keep you out for the couple of overs, then score off you once you slow down, but if you consistently bowl fast, people will be wondering when it will end and won't focus properly. I'd rather drop 5kph and bowl it all the time rather than bowl 5kph faster for an over or two and then drop 10-15kph after that.

yeah good point jonesy....

gr8 help manee...

im right in sayin that the speed you run in at will affect your pace??

id say i am going from what iv read and some part expirience..
that if ur a fast bowler than u should have a big enough run up so that when u get to the bowling crease you are at maximum speed. (i read that in a dennis lillee bowling guide book)
but as a meium pacer u come in a 75% of ur maximum speed more like a fast jog.
maybe that helps??

yeah it does.... currently my run up IS a fast jog..

maybe i am looking for pace in the wrong area... it may be my action that is the problem....

this is gunna b off topic.... but u kno your non-bowling arm??
how important is that when it comes 2 pace??

Well some bowling coaches have suggested that by bringing your non-bowling arm down faster than normal can speed up your action, making you faster. But that said it may become to out of control and you may loose accuracy. Maybe just try it out in the nets.

i am having a guess here but i think jimmy's right it does make u lose accuracy cuz i tried it and i couldnt place the ball aswell.
same with mitchell johnson he does the non bowling arm thing and hes fast but is very rarely on stumps

yeah i have tried slinging my non bowling arm.. and u 2 r spot on the money.. way wide of off stump and not much faster

jimmy33 said:
Well some bowling coaches have suggested that by bringing your non-bowling arm down faster than normal can speed up your action, making you faster. But that said it may become to out of control and you may loose accuracy. Maybe just try it out in the nets.

Bringing your bowling arm down as fast as possible is a must have for front on bowlers, but the hip rotation should take precedence in a side on bowler.

Manee, what do you mean by hip rotation?

I mean, my hips rotate in my action (which I think is side-on) but I don't conciously think about it. Whereas, I do think about pulling my leading arm through the action as I find it helps me with accuracy and pace. Not 'throwing' it through the action, just pulling down towards the target with it.

Jelly Beanz said:
Manee, what do you mean by hip rotation?

I mean, my hips rotate in my action (which I think is side-on) but I don't conciously think about it. Whereas, I do think about pulling my leading arm through the action as I find it helps me with accuracy and pace. Not 'throwing' it through the action, just pulling down towards the target with it.

As far as I know, that is right. For many, the hip rotation is not natural.

Back