Sanath Jayasuriya set to retire

AB

Sanath Jayasuriya set to retire

Sanath Jayasuriya is set to announce his retirement at the end of the Kandy Test.

According to a report in the Sunday Times, the Sri Lankan selectors gave him the option of playing a farewell Test and then quitting rather than being dropped. In the last two-and-a-half years he has scored only 497 runs in 15 Tests at an average of 19.88 with one fifty. His average, at one point nudging 50, slipped under 40 with his failure in the first innings of this Test.

Trevor Bayliss, Sri Lanka's coach, said: "He hasn't said anything to us at this stage. Obviously he is getting close, exactly how close we are not very sure."

Cricinfo

He has been a great player for Sri Lanka, but he hasn't been in best of form recently so this was expected.

Re: Sanath Jayasuriya set to retire

Again! Will the selectors tempt back once more?

To echo what you said AB, he's been a tireless preformer for Sri Lanka but it's probably time for him to hang up his boots and take it easy for a while.

He'll be missed but the young guns need to push on and take his place.

He played a very good innings today should have got the hundred. In ODI Sri lanka will miss him

Jayasuriya has announced his retirement from Test Cricket. However, he will continue playing ODI cricket. Must be the first man to hit 6 fours in one over in his last innings. Sri Lanka will surely miss him.

he has been a great servent to sri lankan cricket. nice to see that he retired on a high. a lot of things are happening for sri lanka in the same match. it is also vaas's 100th test and of course murali broke the world record in this test too.

Never trust Sanath with a retirement!Although i think this could be it but i'm still not going to believe him till he hasn't played for a while.

:( thats sad, he's a great player for them but everything has its expirary date and his number is up. Good luck for him in the future id like to hear him commentating on sky in the years to come.

This decision was long overdue. In his day, Jayasuriya was a very good Test batsmen but he has been a liability with the bat as of late.

For example, since 01-01-2005:
Code:
            Mat  I NO Runs Ave 100 50 0
filtered      15 26 1 497 19.88 0 1 1

Long overdue and I have infinate respect for him for ending his career at a point in Sri Lankan cricket where he could have lasted two or three more years. A great Test batsmen in his earlier years and his precense will be missed from Test cricket.

Well Murali celebrating, and so should Jayasuriya, he took ODI batting to a new level, not just in Sri Lanka, or Asia, but worldwide. Look at Gilchrist and you can see that he's a similar type of player in the Australia setup.

Fantastic batsmen, and yes, this retirement is a bit overdue but he helped Sri Lanka out of sticky situations on many occasions, not just with the bat either!

Well played Sanath!

Indeed he is,

His Test stats are; 34.31, which isn't just good for a part timer, its good for a bowler. You could then argue back at me, that he's from Sri Lanka and should be averaging better on home soil, which im sure he should, but he doesn't bowl too much and an average of 34 is pretty fine!

His ODI statistics are 36.37 which is a little more costly especially going at 4.75 an over, but balance that up with a strike rate of 45.8, you get a rough idea that he'll get you if you're not watching properly, which is whats made the Sri Lankans a force to be recond with, if you dont watch them with 100% concentration, you're on the way to the pavilion pretty sharpish.

Simbazz said:
Indeed he is,

His Test stats are; 34.31, which isn't just good for a part timer, its good for a bowler. You could then argue back at me, that he's from Sri Lanka and should be averaging better on home soil, which im sure he should, but he doesn't bowl too much and an average of 34 is pretty fine!

His ODI statistics are 36.37 which is a little more costly especially going at 4.75 an over, but balance that up with a strike rate of 45.8, you get a rough idea that he'll get you if you're not watching properly, which is whats made the Sri Lankans a force to be recond with, if you dont watch them with 100% concentration, you're on the way to the pavilion pretty sharpish.

I was never arguing that he was not a good bowler, just a weak Test batsman as of late.

PS: An ODI strike rate of 45.8 is comparatively not very good ;)

Manee my friend ;) When you match it up to his ODI batting, its reasonable because he's taken 307 wickets!

i will miss him and his big batting but he is still there in one days. good all round player, lanka will miss him as a steady partner for one opening berth

His main achievements are in odis. I think sri lanka will do fine even without him in tests. but in odis its a different story. he is still very fit even at 38. i think he can easily continue for 1-2 more years if his form and fitness are good.

he has had a great career. nice that he is retiring on a high. sri lanka might struggle with openers now that atapattu and jayasuriya have retired. vandort seems a good player probably tharanga will be the other opener.

Back