Sanding the bat

Dikon

Sanding the bat

Anyone have any ideas on what grain paper i should be using to sand the bat?I'm going to get a chance to power sand it Tomorrow so it's ready for winter nets on Sunday.

Re: Sanding the bat

Fine to very fine should be ok, I'd say go with around 150 then finish with a 220-240.

If you have any imperfections (dints, dents, deep seam marks etc) then you may want to go lightly over it with a medium (nothing lower than a 120 though).

The best way is to start with the 150-180 and see how it goes. Remember its only a light sanding to remove the finest layer of wood you can.

After that give it a wipe with a dry cloth to remove any dust and then apply a coat (or 2 depending on how dry the wood looks) of good quality raw linseed oil.

Almost_Austwick said:
Fine to very fine should be ok, I'd say go with around 150 then finish with a 220-240.

If you have any imperfections (dints, dents, deep seam marks etc) then you may want to go lightly over it with a medium (nothing lower than a 120 though).

The best way is to start with the 150-180 and see how it goes. Remember its only a light sanding to remove the finest layer of wood you can.

After that give it a wipe with a dry cloth to remove any dust and then apply a coat (or 2 depending on how dry the wood looks) of good quality raw linseed oil.

Yeah i was going to oil it afterwards, just didn't want to wreck it by sanding too much.Slight crack in it aswell which i should be able to fix as it's at the toe.I might post pics up of before and after to show my refurbing skills ;)

It just cleans the top layer of wood off the bat. In general terms, think of it as a 'spring clean'. It takes off any marks, can smooth out dents and allow you to check for any small surface cracks that may become a problem later.

There is no real need to do it, but if you have a little bit of time then it can be worth the trouble. If in any doubt, take it to a professional who will do the job for you.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

We do try, but it's a community thing.

The more people who contribute then the more ideas get passed around and we start to find out new and interesting ways to improve our games.

btw i sanded my bat because i decided to finally remove my extratec with has been annoying me for ages and it worked out great thanks for the help

Back