Scott Borthwick - England

someblokecalleddave

Any thoughts? Like Adil Rashid, lots of positive talk around his performance from some quarters, but at 21 is this too early? Noted that Swanne is saying he's the bloke to take over from him in the future.

Nothing to get excited about, he looks like a honest FC toiler that has been given a chance too soon because everyone else has fallen over. Here's hoping he gains something out of this and improves.

Was bowling like a park cricketer.. Didn't really hang around long enough with the bat to learn much about him there.

Alright chaps nice to be back! Looks like there's a few new people on here these days, Dave what's happening over at spin bowling boards? There's a load of kitchen sales threads?! I think it's pretty clear borthwick ain't gonna cut the mustard sadly. Lovely to see some leg breaks being bowled all the same but jarrod kimber summed it up best: he's a bad warne clone. And that ambling through the crease and going rip just fundamentally doesn't work for mortal men.

GA, nice to see you back, the other forum... The admins on here got their act together and got rid of the Spammers, so I came back along with a couple of the others, so I've neglected my forum, as you've observed it's being taken over by kitchen sales people, it begs the question why don't they start their own specific kitchen sales forum.

Borthwick - give him some time, let him learn his art in the county circuit, or on the peripheral of the England set up, play in the Big Bash - stuff like that and in 5 years time give him another go maybe?

Botham, after seeing a slo-mo of Borthwicks mainly over-spun leg breaks "Lets see if it's a wrong un". No - it was just an over-spun leg break with very little side spin on it, so it went straight on!

On Sky they're writing Borthwick off and saying they need to look around the counties for someone better than Panesar. What's happening with Adil Rashid who can also bat a bit (Better than Panesar)?

The last time I saw Rashid his bowling had regressed big time but his batting had improved, is this still the case?

Last time I saw rashid bowl it was in the BBl a good while ago and his bowling looked okay but it was a very much back to basics approach, no variation other than a very flat front of the hand/off break sort of thing. Clearly designed just for 20/20 to keep things tight and simple. He was ruined by the England set up IMO, yet another sad victim of the drinks carrying entourage that has similarly spoilt Finn, Bairstow, Rankin... Guys like Compton, Taylor and Onions want to thank their lucky stars they weren't dragged round Oz like those blokes.

I find it shocking that the country who produced Lock and Laker, Titch Freeman, Derek Underwood, Doug Wright, Eric Hollies, Roly Jenkins, Fred Titmus, I could go on forever, don't seem to be able to find a spinner who can hit the cut strip. Okay a lot of those guys struggled at Test level but we know they racked up serious numbers (Titch) and the legend of unplayable deliveries (Doug Wright particularly) we don't hear a lot about these spinners who are drafted in to the current test side bowling like demons for their county. Okay the pitches are a joke and any county who has a spinner who takes a 5 fer gets fined for having a dodgy pitch BUT they don't look like wizards to me bowling pathetic full tosses and long hops every over. Am I being unfairly harsh?

I think Borthwick has some real potential, needs to work on accuracy and variety, but most of all I see him main problem is he needs to get rid of the Shane Warne walk up approach and find one that suits his bowling. A quicker Stuart Macgill type run up would be better imo. It would make him a bit quicker through the air too.

Last time I saw rashid bowl it was in the BBl a good while ago and his bowling looked okay but it was a very much back to basics approach, no variation other than a very flat front of the hand/off break sort of thing. Clearly designed just for 20/20 to keep things tight and simple. He was ruined by the England set up IMO, yet another sad victim of the drinks carrying entourage that has similarly spoilt Finn, Bairstow, Rankin... Guys like Compton, Taylor and Onions want to thank their lucky stars they weren't dragged round Oz like those blokes.

I find it shocking that the country who produced Lock and Laker, Titch Freeman, Derek Underwood, Doug Wright, Eric Hollies, Roly Jenkins, Fred Titmus, I could go on forever, don't seem to be able to find a spinner who can hit the cut strip. Okay a lot of those guys struggled at Test level but we know they racked up serious numbers (Titch) and the legend of unplayable deliveries (Doug Wright particularly) we don't hear a lot about these spinners who are drafted in to the current test side bowling like demons for their county. Okay the pitches are a joke and any county who has a spinner who takes a 5 fer gets fined for having a dodgy pitch BUT they don't look like wizards to me bowling pathetic full tosses and long hops every over. Am I being unfairly harsh?

Being in NZ and seeing Jeetan Patel do all right in county cricket would suggest you're not being harsh. From what I have been told, if you can keep up with the workload of the county scene then getting a county FC spinning spot is just a matter of time. Not that NZ's spinners can say much...

He's very young for a wrist spinner so hopefully he can sort out his erratic length and add a touch more variation to his game.

I think he was a touch lucky to pick up three wickets, with two from full tosses, but they all count. I was pleased for him.

How's he done over the summer anyone know?
ec2903p51scott.jpg

Back