Sept 10 End of the world

storm

Sept 10 End of the world

The bigbang machine is set to be turned on, ive seen alot about it and just found a half decent video on it, not as good as the hawking video but still pretty good.

INFO:http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/07/1252902.aspx

The countdown to the startup of the world's most powerful particle collider has begun with today's announcement that the first beam of protons will be sent all the way through the 17-mile-round Large Hadron Collider on Sept. 10....

VIDEO:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dccnr/

Anyway what everyones view on it, i can't see the world ending but i am really excited about the possibilities.

Re: Sept 10 End of the world

I read about this a few months or years back(can't remember). This is supposed to replicate the Big Bang on a smaller scale, isn't it? It could provide very interesting results. The idea that this could result in the destruction of the world seems ridiculous though.

be funny if it did..... the chances of it happening are said to be at 0.001, i really wanna see if anything intresting occurs, this could be a very historic event.

It'll be a big let down. Of course, if they create a stranglet it would be cool, much better than a black hole.

I really don't see the need is that great to turn on this machine if the chances of the world ending are any more than 0.

Well, they have invested $10 billion in this so I don't see them backing out. The scientists are saying even if something goes wrong it won't result in the destruction of the earth. There are always people who will come up with crazy theories like this one for publicity or due to lack of knowledge.

I bet King of Slaves would be the man to ask about this - he's played against CERN a few times.

He has, but they kept turning on the LHC and taking the game back to the start of the match whenever they were in a losing position.

Nothing will happen, at least not tomorrow as they are only sending one beam around the tunnel and there is not guarantee that it'll even go all the way around.

The real stuff will begin in October at the earliest.

mas cambios;29986 said:
Nothing will happen, at least not tomorrow as they are only sending one beam around the tunnel and there is not guarantee that it'll even go all the way around.

The real stuff will begin in October at the earliest.

And then not much, apparently they turn it off during the winter so it doesn't use too much energy - so the real results will only be coming out in the spring.

dont spoil my fun....lol i was hoping for the world to rip apart into a mario game or summet, or as frankie says, a giant sighn pop out the sky and says "level 2"

storm;29994 said:
dont spoil my fun....lol i was hoping for the world to rip apart into a mario game or summet, or as frankie says, a giant sighn pop out the sky and says "level 2"

Did I say everything will be fine - no, no, probably within the next 2 hours or so they're going to rip a hole in the space-time continuum, out of which will pour an army of krikkit robots like the ones from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Obviously, these will attempt to engage in a murderous rampage as they believe that cricket has been tainted by millionaire businessmen and the like.

But it's OK, they have Tom Cruise sitting beside the LHC waiting to sneeze on them. Should be entertaining at least ;)

Well I live like 15 minutes away from CERN so I would've been one of the first few people to have suffered death via a black hole and that is not a pretty thought. <.< I remember us counting down our minutes to death this morning in school. To our surprise, we were perfectly safe and alive by the time we left school...

I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a black hole to swallow us by now.

i was hoping for something cool, maybe if everyone woke up as simpson characters that would be cool...

Not really enough characters to share around though, imagine like a billion Homers!

Back