Serious Backyard Cricket Issue.

LukeMcAlister

Been playing backyard cricket, I have just come inside because of some terrible anger issues, so here is my problem..

Tell me what you guys think...

I have not faced a ball at the non-strikers end, and the ball is bowled, where my batting partner thumps it straight back at the bowler, however hitting me, the non-striker right on the upper arm, where it just fell to my feet. As soon as it hit me, the batsmen called out loud I'm not going out for that' as we were playing tipy-go and one hand one bounce, knowing he would be out as the bowler could just pick it up and run him out effectively being the fault of the non-striker, me. I then laughed and assumed it to be a dead ball if he couldn't be out. The bowler then picked it up and ran it over to the strikers end, where I was walking to, making no attempt to get to the crease, he then 'took off the bails' and said I was out. The problem is that we have been playing 'You can't get out first ball' the whole game and considering I hadn't faced a ball, I assumed the rule would apply to that, however I didn't think that I would need to even bother thinking about that so I just let it slide. He then continued to say I was out, I was stubborn and said no. The bowler then said, 'Ok, that is not out but if you get out first ball you are out' I said yes. I then managed to lob it straight back to the bowler first ball.

Here are the questions I have.

If we play 'You can't get out first ball' are you out if you don't face a ball?

Me agreeing to saying if I get out first ball is out, should this count (Read following question)?

I didn't run or attempt to make it to the other wicket, just assuming that the ball is dead due to what the other batsmen said just as it hit me, would you have thought it is a dead ball?

Overall, am I out?

For being run out on what I thought was a dead ball, and then having that 'out' use up my 'first ball chance' after I said ok, I'll go out if I am out first ball.

This caused some serious tension, and need some clarification / opinions from outside sources.

Sounds like you came to a compromise agreement, although it seems that he was wrong in the first incident - the ball was indeed from what I can tell 'Dead'. In agreeing with his terms just to get the game past the conflict zone, you then set yourself up to go first ball as you did. I think you did the right thing in walking away and talking it through with me at least. You gain the moral high ground I reckon. Let it go now and when you play next clarify the rules with regards this issue - write it down if you have to!

You should video your games as well and post them up on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unJVIvMw0os

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQIgJ9HRTxQ

Back