Shahid Afridi banned for two T20s for ball-tampering

lewissaffin

Shahid Afridi banned for two T20s for ball-tampering

Shahid Afridi banned for two T20s for ball-tampering | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

--

Well, the moron is at it again. He has been done for ball/pitch tampering before (I remember Pietersen got quite pissed about it) and was done for it again. He does make a point about all of the other teams doing it, but it isn't cheating if you don't get caught! (*cough*Jimmy Anderson*cough*)

Also, apparently Latif got attacked by a crowd member. Only in Australia, eh. Odd stuff. Discuss.

Re: Shahid Afridi banned for two T20s for ball-tampering

It was fairly blatant, down to teeth marks on the ball I'd imagine. Had no choice but to admit his guilt which in turns gets him a reasonably light ban.

I have little doubt that a majority of, if not all, teams are at it. With that being the case you have to ask why. The common answer is that the game has swung far too much in favour of the bat. If so, maybe it's time to make things a little more even?

First things first, when the incident with Broad and Anderson was raised many people said that ball tampering should be made legal.

A fact many people forget is that the laws of the game state that the ball in use belongs to both the batsmen and the fielding side (Source: Richie Benaud, per communication, Ch 9).

Afridi probably knew that he was going to get caught but thought he'd take the hit if it meant that altering the condition of the ball resulted in a Pakistan win. It was a disgraceful act, that IMO deserved more then a 2 match ban, I would have thought something in the region of 5 - 6 matchs more appropiate. Ball tampering is blatant cheating.

Ball tampering these days mainly seems to be associated with reverse swing, if teams are getting the ball to go reverse then eyebrows will always be raised, especially if the ball is going very early in an innings.

You would have to be silly to try and tamper the ball in Australia, Ch 9 has more cameras then you can count and you will be caught.

As for the spectator on the field, he wasn't crazed and it wasn't malicous, but it wasn't a good look, sadly pitch invaders are these days a universal event during the ODI's in Australia. Often happening more then once in each game.

This is a streaker in the AFL game between Brisbane Lions V Geelong in 2008 season at the Gabba.

streakerr2220071.jpg

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386819 said:
As for the spectator on the field, he wasn't crazed and it wasn't malicous, but it wasn't a good look, sadly pitch invaders are these days a universal event during the ODI's in Australia. Often happening more then once in each game.

Dunno about that LtD. Can't remember the last time I saw one at the MCG unless its an up north occurance.

Don't know what goes through Afridi's head sometimes. Disappointed not going to see him at the G on Friday but 2 matches do seem a little on the weaker side

I see them/hear them mentioned regularly on TV and on the radio, during ODI's you can almost bet your life that some idiot will make the dash.

Probably been to about 15 international games at the WACA and yet to see one person run on the ground, maybe just luck.

As for Afridi he's one of my favourite players, very disappointing especially when captaining the side, a 2 match ban is pathetic they need to stamp this sort of rubbish out.

They should have banned him for about 10 matches - but after the T20 against Australia :D

Sad to not be able to see him play, but he deserves it. Stupid thing to do, especially if it is inevitable you will get caught.

Streakers will always be part of the game. That is also stupidity, but as long as you just run across the field and not cause harm to the players (unless you are aiming for Symonds) then I think the entertainment value for the game just went up. Especially when you see how many billions of cops are chasing them, surely if they just wait at the side of the ground and send one or two guys in it would be much more effective, rather than a running of the bulls style chase.

I would rather a streaker than a drugged up pig from an esky. :D

It seems pretty obvious to me that the ball was out of shape, and 'Honest Shahid', as he is affectionately known, was merely trying to restore it's shape using his teeth (the strongest part of the body), in order to not gain an unfair advantage due to the unpredictable bounce of a warped ball. To suggest anything sinister is a horrendous insult to a fine athlete and consummate professional.

a for effort;386967 said:
it seems pretty obvious to me that the ball was out of shape, and 'honest shahid', as he is affectionately known, was merely trying to restore it's shape using his teeth (the strongest part of the body), in order to not gain an unfair advantage due to the unpredictable bounce of a warped ball. To suggest anything sinister is a horrendous insult to a fine athlete and consummate professional.

God one!:D

The truth is that internationals should realise that you have 26 cameras now at venues and you will get caught. I just cannot believe that he thought he would getaway with something so obvious.

I must say I agree with Kram81 and two match suspension for something so deliberate is a disgrace considering that MS Dhoni got the same sentence for a repeated slow over rate issue.

The streaker issue is a concern as the Pakistani player could have gotten badly injured. I know he laughed it off but I suspect that the WACA and who ever does their crowd control would have been in Cricket Australias firing line. The ICC will also be asking questions as they technically can revoke the staging rights to any field.

Maybe they should do as they do here in South Africa? Life-time ban from the venue plus a fine.

Ricky Ponting fury at pitch invader | Herald Sun

I'm surprised that the fine at the WACA is so low. $500 is nothing if you're a bunch of mates who've had a bit to drink, and are willing to chuck in together for someone to make a fool out of themselves.

It needs to be a few grand in order to deter people.

There goes his dole check, no Woodstock bourbon this week.

boganc.jpg

lookit that smile

Caesar;387042 said:
I'm surprised that the fine at the WACA is so low. $500 is nothing if you're a bunch of mates who've had a bit to drink, and are willing to chuck in together for someone to make a fool out of themselves.

It needs to be a few grand in order to deter people.

At both the MCG and Docklands it's up to $6000.

The Ox;387050 said:
At both the MCG and Docklands it's up to $6000.

MCG was quoted in the paper as up to $7000.

I always thought that the courts only gave you a fine between 300 - 500 dollars depending on what you did. I know that guy who got dropped by Symo was fined 1500 dollars but he was charged with more then just trespassing.

To be honest I couldn't rule out making a dash across the ground in the forlorn hope of making it to the other side if I was only going to be fined 500 dollars, which I think is what happens. Those fines they quote are maxmium values I think and are rarely imposed by the courts.

It's the disincentive of the possible maximum though, even if it's not usually enforced. When you're at the cricket and they flash up the warning saying "Fines up to $6K for trespassing" it makes people think twice.

"Fines up to $500" is more likely to encourage people.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387069 said:
I always thought that the courts only gave you a fine between 300 - 500 dollars depending on what you did. I know that guy who got dropped by Symo was fined 1500 dollars but he was charged with more then just trespassing.

To be honest I couldn't rule out making a dash across the ground in the forlorn hope of making it to the other side if I was only going to be fined 500 dollars, which I think is what happens. Those fines they quote are maxmium values I think and are rarely imposed by the courts.

So LtD, should I be looking out for you in no clothes steaming across the Gabba? :p

Pretty sure the fine there isn't much higher than the WACAs.

EDIT: Just read the article above and discovered the Gabba is worth $4000 for a trip across the ground. Maybe a little to expensive then for you? :p

D.K;386834 said:
Dunno about that LtD. Can't remember the last time I saw one at the MCG unless its an up north occurance.

Don't know what goes through Afridi's head sometimes. Disappointed not going to see him at the G on Friday but 2 matches do seem a little on the weaker side

Boxing Day Test, second day.

No if you take your clothes off and expose your private parts then your charged with another offence in addition to trespassing so the fine is likely to be more. If you just run across fully clothed and don't make contact with any of the players then you can really only be charged with trespass.

I think that trespass law doesn't have many specifics that deal with sporting grounds, or not least at this point in time, therefore the fine reflects standard trespassing.

In reality I wouldn't be able to rule it out if the fine was 3 figures, imagine the glory of getting from one side to the other and stepping some pie eating security guard in the centre wicket in front of a packed Gabba.

I reckon once you hit the grass the adrenaline with the crowd roar would carry you across the ground like Usain Bolt.

I honestly couldn't rule it out, it would be a spur of the moment thing, especially if you had a mate come with you. I reckon if two of you get out on the ground one of you has more chance of getting from one side to the other.

I remember a guy from a few years back who made it across the field of the MCG, then half way back again, then took a right turn and ran around about a thousand security guards and straight back over the fence, never to be seen again. The whole ordeal took a number of minutes and all the policies were pretty much the same as now, he really just showed off his skill.

It's stupidity, but sometimes you just have to laugh at the stupid.

Back