Shane Crawford Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shane Crawford Retires

Crawf calls it quits

HAWTHORN veteran Shane Crawford has announced his retirement from AFL.

Crawford, 34, informed Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson and General Manager Football Operations Mark Evans on Friday evening of his decision not to play on, following weeks of private reflection over his future.

Crawford had battled with knee tendinitis throughout the 2008 season. However, his condition had seen a significant improvement in the later part of the year, and Crawford had been given the all-clear by the Hawks medical staff to continue in to his 18th season.

However, despite having recently agreed terms with the Club on a new contract for 2009, time away from the game following the Hawks 2008 Grand Final win over Geelong had given Crawford the opportunity to reflect, deciding to end his 305 game career on a high.

"The recent break and distance away from the game has enabled me to re-think what I wanted to achieve in footy - and the answer is that I have achieved what I had hoped, when I set out," said Crawford.

"Winning a premiership with Hawthorn has been the highlight of my career. I am proud to have represented one club and will look back at everything we have achieved over my 17 years at the Hawks with fond memories."

Crawford, a Brownlow medalist in 1999, had been named Club Champion on four occasions over a stellar career spanning 17 season, 305 games, making his AFL debut in 1993.

Crawford became only the sixth Hawthorn player to play 300 games in 2008, carrying his son Charlie through the banner in the Club's Round 19 win over Brisbane at Aurora Stadium, Launceston.

"Having some time to reflect; standing on the podium on Grand Final day as premiers had always been my ultimate goal. It is a great way to go out of the game – on a high, with a premiership medal, at a time of my choosing."

"The Club have been fantastic through this time and I can't thank them enough for their support in letting me come to my own decision."

"I have seen many players come and go over the years and have played with some outstanding blokes. I'd like to thank all those that I have called my teammates, those in administration who have supported our Club off the field, the trainers and medical staff, the coaches, the volunteers and the members. We have all played our part in making this Club what it is.

Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson had nothing but praise for the retiring star.

"Crawf has been an outstanding role model to so many in the game," said Clarkson.

"He was still one of the best trainers and he can stand tall knowing that he gave every last drop for the Hawthorn Football Club. He has wrung the towel dry and he can walk away proud, having played his part."
for hawthornfc.com.au
Sorry to hear about Shane Crawford retiring.

Re: Shane Crawford Retires

EXCUSE ME, BUT WHO GIVES A SHIT, ITS A CRICKET FORUM YOU SPASTICS, P.O.Q BACK TO BIG FOOTY:mad::mad::mad:

as per usual this schwab2clarkson hijacker uses a cricket forum to spread her highly unpopular propaganda abotu the HFC all over the place. go back to sleep you silly fool, nobody likes you in here. :p:p

As Big Man has said, it's in other sports and not bothering anyone.

If you don't like it, then are are others ways to get your point of view across.

I don't think that anyone is going to add anything constructive to this thread, so I'm going to close it.

If you do have something to add, pm me and I'll open it back up.

crktluva;279750 said:
as per usual this schwab2clarkson hijacker uses a cricket forum to spread her highly unpopular propaganda abotu the HFC all over the place. go back to sleep you silly fool, nobody likes you in here. :p:p
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

crtlva,

If you have got something good to say about Shane Crawford then post it in here. If you don't, stop trolling and go and post elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back