Sliding

chicmagnet

Sliding

I always find it very hard to do the sliding stop when chasing the ball. I always mess it up. Are there any drills or instructions for it?

Re: Sliding

I slid twice to my right in 2 weeks and injured my left arm which I was using to keep myself up.. Felt like I hyper extended it.

I do it in parts;

1. Pick up speed,

2. Drop down to one knee and bring the other one round so i'm on two knees with my elbow keeping me up. So in effect I almost have my arse touching the ground.

3. As i reach the ball, i swing one leg round, grab the ball, and stand and throw.

Its all in the picking up speed and dropping at the right time, its also important you dont tangle your legs else it could be serious.

chickmagnet said:
I always find it very hard to do the sliding stop when chasing the ball. I always mess it up. Are there any drills or instructions for it?

I recommend not sliding unless you are playing at a high level, it is a dangerous manoever and a quite unrewarding one too. I fully recommend running and flicking the ball back whilst standing.

If you are intent on sliding, this may help.

manee said:
I recommend not sliding unless you are playing at a high level, it is a dangerous manoever and a quite unrewarding one too. I fully recommend running and flicking the ball back whilst standing.

If you are intent on sliding, this may help.

I agree with this guy, don't slide unless you're jolly good at it, just run and flick it up, or pick it up.

One of the best methods to practise sliding is in the gym (wooden floor) with old trackies on. But, be warned it's the technique that has to be right. There's no knee's involved, you slide on the outside of your lower leg and use your arm for balance, this can be countered by your other leg, that should be out and above your sliding leg, ready to place on ground as a stopper to assist with momentum in gettin gyou up into a throwing positon.

Sliding can be use anywhere, it's not just a boundary drill, but excellent in the ring and does save runs. It needs practise and early April in the rain is best time. be very, very careful of the ground, if you play on un-loved outfields, don't do it. But, if you have good areas, practise and reduce the runs on the board by 20-30 and build pressure on the oppositon.

As Leggeb4 is stressing, be careful! You've seen im sure the video of Simon Jones in the outfield, it isn't pretty, theres plenty of people who've injured themselves.

If your not 100% confident, dont do it because you will seriously injure yourself!

Practise, confidence and good surfaces are essential. If you really want to develop you fielding game, sliding, throwing back-handed and diving are in, but as one of my good friends said at the start, it really depends on your level.

Please be careful...

I love sliding in the field to get the ball but then again im an athletic fielder, id like to think that you should treat a slide rather like you would a slide tackle in football but try to remain more upright. Nothing hurts more than doing a forwards slide like i did.

Sliding - a useful tool but one that can go wrong in many ways; whether it's totally messing it up and costing runs or injuring yourself due to poorly maintained outfields and technique.

There has been plenty of good advice posted above so I have little to add except to say only do it if your confident in doing so. Also, spend a few minutes looking at the outfield, is it clean and well maintained or full of dogs mess and needles?

Adapt you game to the situations - it may well save you an injury in the long term.

Also, remember you're aiming to use the outside of the leg, not the knee itself. Go with the knee and you'll risk an injury.

Dan Sturm said:
Also, remember you're aiming to use the outside of the leg, not the knee itself. Go with the knee and you'll risk an injury.

Sound advice, we had an opposition player who tore the patella tendon last season when he messed up a slide. Not a pretty sight.

Yeah sliding is very dangerous specially near the fence. it even hard to do it on bad grounds. my friend tried to slide and got badly hurt in his knee because of the outfield in that part of the ground was very rough.

Rohitpatel said:
Yeah sliding is very dangerous specially near the fence. it even hard to do it on bad grounds. my friend tried to slide and got badly hurt in his knee because of the outfield in that part of the ground was very rough.
Was it at Azad maidan,Cross Maidan,Shivaji Park or at Central.
Most outfield areas are covered with dust and stones which makes fielding very tough so sliding is tough.

It was at Azad maidan. The ground where we train at has good outfield so its easy for fielding and diving but at many other grounds we are advised to not dive.

manee said:

i did that once during a practise game but when i put my hand down to brace myself i hyper-extended my thumb. i strained the tendon (nothing to serious) and couldnt play on the weekend. :(

but when it comes to sliding i find it comes quite naturally, not sure why

i feel like sliding when chasing too... but i got injured when sliding twice....badly sprained my ankle and elbow....i try to avoid it now.

Back