Sliding

Auzayr

Sliding

Hi,
I find sliding quite difficult, I can manage to dive pretty well, however, when ever it comes to sliding with the feet sliding and pick up the ball I cannot do that. Whenever I try to peform that I just fall and not land properly.

I can perform the slide on picture 1 when sliding forward, however, I cannot perform the slide on picture 2.

Could you please tell me how to perform the slide?

Re: Sliding

I find it instinctive to some extent, I just go down with the one leg, use my momentum to carry me forward and then back to my feet, hopefully with the ball.

You just have to be confident and go for it, find a decent patch of ground to try it on, too damp and you'll get stuck, too dry/bare and you'll hurt yourself.

Attacking the skill confidently is, as far as I'm concerned, the most important part of sliding. Second is staying low and keeping your knees high- staying low reduces the angle that your coming down from, lowering your chances of digging your knees into the ground and/ or coming down too heavily on your hips. See Simon Jones' injury for how not to do it, and the majority of the Australian side for how to do it correctly (specifically Clarke, Watson, Symonds).

But all up, I wouldn't slide if I wasn't confident that I could do it safely. It's a handy skill, but not an essential one and can be dangerous if performed incorrectly.

You should not be afraid of practicing the slide, because there is no way you can learn something without practicing it. And there are 2 important things you should rememberwhen practicing:

1. Keep your knees a bit high if not you'll highten the risk of digging in your knees into the turf. Which is never a good thing.

2. Keep your eye on the ball. You'll be worrying to much about the slide you might lose concentration on the ball.

The way to practice the slide at training is quite easy. Ask a friend or the coach to hit the ball 20 metres in front of him and you chase it down.

Remember to go down on the side that you are going to spring up and throw from (sliding down right hand side of ball if right hand thrower, left hand side if left hand thrower)

Rasie your shoes/spikes so they don't dig straight into the ground. this will be a disaster, injury highly likely.

Practice makes perfect

Back