Slips guide to glory!

Simbazz

Slips guide to glory!

So, your captain beckons you to the slip area, you dont know what your doing? Wishing you were back home at 3rd man? Well look no further than here!

Firstly, set both you feet fairly wide apart to give you a good solid base in which you have fully control and balance.

Secondly, stick your hands together, doing this before a ball is bowlers then atleast you dont have to worry about it when its thundering down at 88MPH.

Thirdly, stick your hands close the the ground so your controlled and balanced one more, as the bowler reaches his mark, start to slowly straighten your legs, this is where you eyes now meet the ball contacting with the bat, if it flies your way, you should be atleast solidly set to take it, or give a dive.

Hopefully you'll be able to take many more catches AND make 2nd slip your new home ;)

Re: Slips guide to glory!

Good points there Simon. But I just have a few problems.

I don't find that putting your feet wide apart helps very well with balance. I don't think that spreading your legs help if you have to dive to the side to take slip catches.

I agree with the hands position, especially to pace bowlers.

I haven't tried this, just went and tried it to see the balance (in the comfort of my own living room :p) and I beleive that this would be great for when fielding at slip to spinners as lots of nicks of spinners go low. So I would recommend actually staying as low as possible.

Hooper said:
I don't find that putting your feet wide apart helps very well with balance. I don't think that spreading your legs help if you have to dive to the side to take slip catches.

It helps a lot, not too far apart though, just a bit more than shoulder width apart. You have got to be on your toes too because the ball will rarely go to you at a nice chest height, you have got to be ready to dive, crouch or jump depending on where the ball is to be a good slip fielder.

Simbazz said:
So, your captain beckons you to the slip area, you dont know what your doing? Wishing you were back home at 3rd man? Well look no further than here!

Firstly, set both you feet fairly wide apart to give you a good solid base in which you have fully control and balance.

Secondly, stick your hands together, doing this before a ball is bowlers then atleast you dont have to worry about it when its thundering down at 88MPH.

Thirdly, stick your hands close the the ground so your controlled and balanced one more, as the bowler reaches his mark, start to slowly straighten your legs, this is where you eyes now meet the ball contacting with the bat, if it flies your way, you should be atleast solidly set to take it, or give a dive.

Hopefully you'll be able to take many more catches AND make 2nd slip your new home ;)

Don't really need to worry about that at the moment. :p

Good points simo, will try if i ever go slip.

Batman Makes Mistakes And Easily Caught In The Slips. So It Is The Best Fielding Place To Make The Batsman Out.

Always be alert. Every ball can come your way. For spinners get ready to get down in front of you for the low catches. If your hands arent in position the catch becomes 10 times harder. With the feet spread apart it should be shoulder width so you can easily turn side to side to take the dives.

it doesnt really matter, legs spread out or not, but b4 the bowlers running in, take about 5-6 steps back and as he's almost bowled the ball walk back in those few steps just so ur always on ur toes and concentrating.
i've lost concentration a few times at slip, bruised hands from the ball hittin me in the wrong part of my hand, dropped catch.

Yup, mistime a catch OR take your concentration off the ball for even a millisecond, and you can end up with some medalion bruises which are sweet, but hurt!

Or even worse broke fingers!

Simbazz said:
Yup, mistime a catch OR take your concentration off the ball for even a millisecond, and you can end up with some medalion bruises which are sweet, but hurt!

Or even worse broke fingers!
i know i got my finger broken last year while feilding at slip because i lost my balance.

I think the key to being a great slips fielder, isn't all in the technique.

After every ball, stand up straight, stretch, talk with the keeper and other fielders, just take away your concertration. Then when the bowlers running in, get your stance and your hands ready and just concertrate really hard, then after the ball just relax.

I like to rub my hands a lot in my pockets after every ball to keep them warm and ready, im a pretty good slip to be honest :p. Haven't taken many catches, but i've never dropped one, just a few over my head where i got a finger to them. They usually never carry or go over my head lol. But i do save a lot of runs in slip, Lol.

Matt said:
I think the key to being a great slips fielder, isn't all in the technique.

After every ball, stand up straight, stretch, talk with the keeper and other fielders, just take away your concertration. Then when the bowlers running in, get your stance and your hands ready and just concertrate really hard, then after the ball just relax.

I like to rub my hands a lot in my pockets after every ball to keep them warm and ready, im a pretty good slip to be honest :p. Haven't taken many catches, but i've never dropped one, just a few over my head where i got a finger to them. They usually never carry or go over my head lol. But i do save a lot of runs in slip, Lol.
yeah agree just like when batting you only need to concentrate during deliveries then i chat a bit with the keeper before the next delivery when its time to concentrate again.
maybe you should reposition yourself if they arent carrying up to you or flying over you.

rob84 said:
yeah agree just like when batting you only need to concentrate during deliveries then i chat a bit with the keeper before the next delivery when its time to concentrate again.
maybe you should reposition yourself if they arent carrying up to you or flying over you.

Its not really happening as much anymore, i kind of know where im standing but when they did go over my head i would move back, then sometimes they wouldn't carry! :p
But yeah, i know the right place to stand now.

my keys to being a good slipper are

confidence and concentration

I field for 80-90 overs throughout the day and fielding slip for that long is never easy. You have to keep awake always talking it up in the field, having words to the keeper or digging into the batsmen :cursing:

Last match (two weeks back) I didnt touch the ball for 68 overs and then took two catch in the same over at slip :p its amazing when it happens but dropped catches are always due to LACK OF CONCENTRATION

Slip catching is very demanding, as a wicketkeeper i know and sometimes i think you have less reaction time and the ball comes from a different angle! if i aint keeping i'm in the gully or slips!

honestly i think you have it or you dont there is no easy practise for natural reactons.

Back