Slower balls

ramzz

Slower balls

I am a fast bowler and have no problems bowling fast deliveries...Although when I try to bowl slower ones, they always go wides! I have no clue why though. Any help??

Thanxx :)

Re: Slower balls

ramzz said:
I am a fast bowler and have no problems bowling fast deliveries...Although when I try to bowl slower ones, they always go wides! I have no clue why though. Any help??

First answer is practice (as I'm sure you knew it would be!). The second is what grip are you using to bowl the slower ball?

There are a number of grips out there, so if you find one not working, then try another.

Also, when you try to bowl a slower ball are you changing your action in anyway? Have someone spot you and see if they can see any differences. Get them to check from the feet up or the head down. It wouldn't surprise if you aren't pulling the ball down due to you trying to take the pace off it.

yeah if you are changing you action or slowing it down then that could be the problem.

ramzz said:

What hand to you bowl with, what type is the slower ball and where do they go? I have a feeling I know what it is.

It is down to practice to get it spot on, but your choice of slower ball grip can make a difference. Choosing what comes naturally is always a good plan.

MasterBlaster said:
How do you bowl the slower ball? Off spin or something else

I don't actually have any change in the grip. I just have the same grip but leave the ball loose just before the release.

Almost_Austwick said:
ramzz said:

First answer is practice (as I'm sure you knew it would be!). The second is what grip are you using to bowl the slower ball?

There are a number of grips out there, so if you find one not working, then try another.

Also, when you try to bowl a slower ball are you changing your action in anyway? Have someone spot you and see if they can see any differences. Get them to check from the feet up or the head down. It wouldn't surprise if you aren't pulling the ball down due to you trying to take the pace off it.

I don't change my action, although I do slow the speed of my action. I think that is the problem. But what are the grip position options that I have?

manee said:
ramzz said:

What hand to you bowl with, what type is the slower ball and where do they go? I have a feeling I know what it is.

I am a right handed bowler, and all my slower ball attempts go down the leg side.

ramzz said:
I don't change my action, although I do slow the speed of my action. I think that is the problem. But what are the grip position options that I have?

I would hazard a guess in that when you try to slow down the pace of the ball you're also causing your head or arm to drop slightly causing the ball to get pushed down leg. The ideal slower ball is one that has no perceivable change in rotational speed but relies on the grip to apply more friction on the ball to slow it down.

The images below are rough guides to the 2 easiest (imho) slower ball grips.

The first is the one finger grip, where you grip the ball between the index finger and the thumb. Hold the ball tightly and bowl as normal as possible.

The second is the split finger, based on the baseball grip. Hold the ball as normal but then spread the top two fingers down the ball, the further you go the slower the ball (in theory).

Both of these balls will take time to master as the ball will feel odd coming out for a while but they are good starting points and as they both rely on the grip to take the pace off, means that you can (or should) bowl as you normally would.

There is one further 'beginners' grip but I need a photo for that, which I'll sort out tomorrow once I've gotten my camera.

I do the split finger, but both fingers along the seam, so its like an offspin grip. And just focus on all the stuff youwould normally focus on, and forget that you have a different grip.

I agree with what people are saying. If you slow down your action not only will it make the ball go down leg side but also it will be very easy to spot for the batsman.
If you just change the grip then it will not be easily spotted.

Changing the grip is the way to go, but not too noticably or it will be easy to spot. For example, Jonesy changing the seam position that much should be relatively easy for a good batsman to spot. I don't know what it's like at junior level, but with adult top order batsmen, that much of a change would get spotted a lot.

Yeh I guess you're right, but I fooled a state player and an adult coach with it, so it's working for me.

Even international players get fooled by it. I remmeber yesterday Praveen kumar bowled a cross seam short delivery and it didnt bounce as much as Clarke expected and he got bowled. If he had bowled it on the seam then Clarke would have pulled it for four but even Clarke failed to pick it.

Yeah. Changing grip is a very effective method at least for the club level from my experience. Of course in international cricket it wont work against batsmen who have a good eye. I know sehwag is one batsman who can easily pick such changes. If you bowl a slow delivery to him he will smash it out of the ground.

My slower ball is something like this: I don't change the grip whatsoever, but the only change I do make is that I release the ball by the back of my hand (like a legspinner would bowl a googly) and it seems to work perfectly well for me.

That is another way of doing it but I find it quite hard to retain control, so I prefer the grip options.

I tend to hide the ball with my hand on approach as much as I can to help keep it a mystery until the last possible moment.

If it works for you then fair enough, keep doing it.

Changing grip is really the only way to do it, just not too obviously.

Thanks for the help guys :) Really appreciated. Although I won't be able to try this for atleast 2 weeks, as I have March break and then we will resume practice!

I will wait for that picture AA :)

Back