Small Club Cricket Captaincy - How To?

Yeah, I'm not sure if I can do 'Fun', if you knew me you'd be laughing your head off at the idea that I might be 'Fun' at work I'm known as Deadpan Dave. We had a couple of really good blokes last year in the team and one of them might still be in the team as far as I know and if he is, most of the problems will be resolved, but last years Captain was brilliant funny, sharp, able to take the P*** out of people, but with a high level of humour and no-one took offence and he gave everyone a go. The balance of the team was perfect for the most part and we won the league, but as a consequence we've moved up a league as far as I know!! I'll try and have fun, but I don't know how the fun can be maintained if we keep losing badly. I guess as much as possible we'll always aim to bowl first, least that way everyone will have a bowl and the batsmen will know what they need to do when it's their turn. I think the balance of the side will err massively towards being a bowling team, all of the youngsters that are coming through are for the most part bowlers. There's only one or two kids who see themselves as primarily batsmen. They might be the more difficult ones to handle if we're continually slaughtered when we get to bat.

I think they'll look to supply us with some older blokes with some experience, but I can envisage it being desperate some weeks, especially once we get into the holiday period, but I might have settled into the role a bit more and might be able to roll with it by then? Who knows I might even get to like it?

Yeah, I'm not sure if I can do 'Fun', if you knew me you'd be laughing your head off at the idea that I might be 'Fun' at work I'm known as Deadpan Dave. We had a couple of really good blokes last year in the team and one of them might still be in the team as far as I know and if he is, most of the problems will be resolved, but last years Captain was brilliant funny, sharp, able to take the P*** out of people, but with a high level of humour and no-one took offence and he gave everyone a go. The balance of the team was perfect for the most part and we won the league, but as a consequence we've moved up a league as far as I know!! I'll try and have fun, but I don't know how the fun can be maintained if we keep losing badly. I guess as much as possible we'll always aim to bowl first, least that way everyone will have a bowl and the batsmen will know what they need to do when it's their turn. I think the balance of the side will err massively towards being a bowling team, all of the youngsters that are coming through are for the most part bowlers. There's only one or two kids who see themselves as primarily batsmen. They might be the more difficult ones to handle if we're continually slaughtered when we get to bat.

I think they'll look to supply us with some older blokes with some experience, but I can envisage it being desperate some weeks, especially once we get into the holiday period, but I might have settled into the role a bit more and might be able to roll with it by then? Who knows I might even get to like it?

Wouldn't worry about the step up in grades. Doubt you'll notice the difference to be honest. People adjust to the grade they're playing in.

I agree with what someone said, U15s and U16s are generally better value than adult 4th XI players as they're better in the outfield.

If you're going to be playing a lot of the younger guys then I would guess the best thing you can do is set the guys good strong offside fields and hammer into them about bowling from offstump to a foot outside offstump. Keep things simple. If the guys can do that and bowl to their fields you'll be teaching them good basic cricket and winning your share of games or at least being competitive.

Wouldn't worry about the step up in grades. Doubt you'll notice the difference to be honest. People adjust to the grade they're playing in.

I agree with what someone said, U15s and U16s are generally better value than adult 4th XI players as they're better in the outfield.

If you're going to be playing a lot of the younger guys then I would guess the best thing you can do is set the guys good strong offside fields and hammer into them about bowling from offstump to a foot outside offstump. Keep things simple. If the guys can do that and bowl to their fields you'll be teaching them good basic cricket and winning your share of games or at least being competitive.

Sounds like a good basic plan. I'll have to try and keep an eye on them in nets and see how that pans out

The decision wasn't made on Thursday, it seems as though the committee had it in mind that they'd just not have a 4th team and weren't aware that there was anyone that was going to be interested in the captaincy, so people suddenly nominating me seems to have caught them on the back foot. One of the senior players in the 1st XI spoke to me last night and sounded me out about it and said that a decision would be made on Tuesday night. But, it sounds as though they're going to go for it. He did say that we've lost 20 regular players over the winter, but then did say that we've got a pretty big group of kids in the U16 - U15 age group who will all now find themselves playing in the 4th, 3rd and 2nd XI rotating in the teams. My son Ben has been earmarked to play in the 2nds as a bowler, yet he's only 15!

Interesting times ahead.

If umpiring is your biggest concern this season, you have got it made!

Your opposite number will be in a similar boat. In my experience, you get on with it and work it out between you. At 3rd/4th XI there are very few players and captains who are out for nothing but victory at all costs. (It happens, but it's rare). That means you always somehow find a way.

There will always be problems: the gorund, the teas, drop outs, call ups, not enough cars to get to the away ground... deal with them as best you can. If you get 11 on the field every week you are a legend no matter what else happens.

And most of all, have fun. It is supposed to be fun after all.

If umpiring is your biggest concern this season, you have got it made!

Your opposite number will be in a similar boat. In my experience, you get on with it and work it out between you. At 3rd/4th XI there are very few players and captains who are out for nothing but victory at all costs. (It happens, but it's rare). That means you always somehow find a way.

There will always be problems: the gorund, the teas, drop outs, call ups, not enough cars to get to the away ground... deal with them as best you can. If you get 11 on the field every week you are a legend no matter what else happens.

And most of all, have fun. It is supposed to be fun after all.

Fingers crossed it'll be okay and I'll muddle through and we'll win a game every now and then for it to be fun!

In terms of umpiring you should get the older players in the side to do the central umpire role. Young guys and kids who do it tend to give players out too easily (especially when they aren't out) as the other side will appeal for longer or harder in an effort to get them to make a decision. Older, more experienced players are less likely to make such calls. The younger players can easily rotate through square leg, there are less responsibilities there and less decisions to make which makes that role perfect for a younger player.

You should also get the younger players to score when you can, especially if they haven't before. Getting them to score with someone who has done it before is a great way to teach them how to score a game and scoring with someone they know is a good way to train them up.

The last aspect I think is to make the side fun. Given you're playing 4th XI which is the last team in your club you're going to get stuck with the "less desirable" players so putting an emphasis on fun and enjoyment is a great way to build team morale and friendships even if the scoreboard isn't going in your favour.

Cheers LJP, I'll try and incorporate as much of that advice as I can. In the ,meantime I'll try and keep a diary of what happens and my thoughts on the situation in my main blog. Here's the 1st entry... http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/el-capitanos-diary-no-001.html

TBH, the downside of being a 4th team in a big club rather than the 1st or 2nd team in a smaller club, are that the higher teams can steal your players at the last minute, so surely there must be some kind of upside? Can the club not provide you with someone to umpire etc?

I never see the point of forming a 3rd, 4th team etc. You need a 2nd ground to play on, you might as well just start a new club with less of the hassle.
In short, Because your club has created an atmosphere where people want to be.

Dave,
I had the fun of 3rd team captaincy last year here. Spent a hell of a lot of time chasing up players and that was about it.
Be accessible and be willing to contact people at 9pm Friday night and you are 3/4 there

One of my worries is that I'll be walking out to a match with no-one able to score, so I'm trying to learn now - watching full IPl matches on youtube and scoring them. I've just seen this scenario.

Bat hits the ball with the intention of a single, runs the single and in the meantime fielder picks up the ball and has a go at the stumps. Ball misses the stumps and there's no-one there backing up and the ball goes for 4. So the total including the run is 5.

Q - If the bats had set off to run two and batsman runs more than 1/2 the length of the wicket before the ball hits the boundary rope would that be 2 runs plus the boundary 4 or does he have to get back to the crease before it can count as a second run?

There's another question that arises out of this depending on the answer to the above.

Q - The bowler bowls catches the ball off a bump ball, turns and hits the stumps with a throw and runs out the batsman - does that go in his bowling figures as a wicket?

Last edited:
One of my worries is that I'll be walking out to a match with no-one able to score, so I'm trying to learn now - watching full IPl matches on youtube and scoring them. I've just seen this scenario.

Bat hits the ball with the intention of a single, runs the single and in the meantime fielder picks up the ball and has a go at the stumps. Ball misses the stumps and there's no-one there backing up and the ball goes for 4. So the total including the run is 5.

Q - If the bats had set off to run two and batsman runs more than 1/2 the length of the wicket before the ball hits the boundary rope would that be 2 runs plus the boundary 4 or does he have to get back to the crease before it can count as a second run?

There's another question that arises out of this depending on the answer to the above.

Q - The bowler bowls catches the ball off a bump ball, turns and hits the stumps with a throw and runs out the batsman - does that go in his bowling figures as a wicket?

Without googling it, I think the answers are
a) 4 plus the number of completed runs at the moment the ball crosses the boundary
b) no, its just a run out

One of my worries is that I'll be walking out to a match with no-one able to score, so I'm trying to learn now.

Keep a copy of Tom Smith's in your bag (or have a connection to the internet to look things up as you go).

Also, the old adage from my Dad (career club 3rd/4th XI skipper): "selection does not close until tea on Saturday". And he means it, I've seen him rope in passers by in jeans!

Scoring is really quite easy, you just have to remember to do everything in triplicate every ball. Bowler, batsman, total. Bowler, batsman, total.

As long as you do that you can just sort everything else out at the end. The overs and fall of wickets are useful but not essential.

Yeah I reckon I'll be okay with the scoring. I've got a couple of umpiring books now - Tom Smith and the 'You are the umpire' book, had a look through those and will continue reading.

For many years I used the link below to teach scoring but software has long been the medium... no art in that! :(

A tip for quick statistical analysis is to use different coloured pens for each bowler and after a while there should be time to underline entries when the batsman is at the wrong end. Once you get the batsmen muddled up all hell is let loose!

To keep up and not find yourself wrong footed, always calculate and tally at the end of each over! I found it easier to keep the tally in my head because you always get somebody coming up asking 'How many [batsman] is on?' or 'What are [bowler's] figures?'

Also, it must always be remembered that the Umpire umpires and the Scorer scores... meaning, if the Umpire has not signalled it, it is not recorded. It is not up to the scorer to decide the score; just to record it... so make sure the Umpire knows what they are doing! Such fun! :D

http://collegians.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Cricket-Scoring-Getting-Started.pdf

For many years I used the link below to teach scoring but software has long been the medium... no art in that! :(

A tip for quick statistical analysis is to use different coloured pens for each bowler and after a while there should be time to underline entries when the batsman is at the wrong end. Once you get the batsmen muddled up all hell is let loose!

To keep up and not find yourself wrong footed, always calculate and tally at the end of each over! I found it easier to keep the tally in my head because you always get somebody coming up asking 'How many [batsman] is on?' or 'What are [bowler's] figures?'

Also, it must always be remembered that the Umpire umpires and the Scorer scores... meaning, if the Umpire has not signalled it, it is not recorded. It is not up to the scorer to decide the score; just to record it... so make sure the Umpire knows what they are doing! Such fun! :D

http://collegians.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Cricket-Scoring-Getting-Started.pdf
Liz - Batsmen at the wrong end?:confused: Is that just simply a case of not being able to recognise who is who because they've got the same whites and both using a Warsop bat of the same colour?

The coloured pens seems to be a good idea and I'm working with them now, do you also write up the batsman's tally using the colour corresponding to the bowler?

Last edited:
I hate it when everybody looks the same! Many years ago I came up with the idea of having 11 different coloured helmets and the player who disgraces himself in the match gets to wear the pink helmet the next match. Unfortunately, most of the players were also rugby players and wanted to wear the pink one! :D

Of course, as luck would have it, your pink lid would end up batting with the oppo's pink lid and you would be back at square one [apologies for the football reference] so that would not work!

It helps to score with the oppo's scorer so you can keep abreast of who is who but there has been times when the oppo's umpire scored at the same time!!

As a biomechanist, bowlers were always easy to keep track of. ;)

I used to write up the batsman's tally with whichever colour I had in my hand. It depends how often to write up! :D

Only a few days left now, to the moment of reckoning. One good bit of news is a mate from Grays has offered me blokes if his games don't come off - he's in a similar situation with his 5th XI... knows he's going to be scratching around for players and has said that if either of us has a game called off, we could get a game at the others club.

I've had another bloke contact me with the same offer again a bloke I used to play with at Grays. My team's gone live now and I've got 10 players plus a.n.other of the 10 players I've had 4 of us including Ben and me indicate we're going to play. Practice tomorrow night and this is when it all comes apart as a more of a clearer picture comes together as to who is/isn't available...

Back