someblokecalleddave's Blog

Re: someblokecalleddave's Blog

Good on you Dave, going along with the scam. Some website keeps sending me heaps of emails in arabic, so I told them to lose the email address or I'll contact their server host and get them shut down (complete lie).

Just got this email from them, and it's in English.

Hello,

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, if you would like to unsubscribe from PerfSpot, you may click the unsubscribe link located on the bottom of every PerfSpot page.

If you have any questions about this or other Perfspot features you can contact anyone at PerfSpot Customer Support at 888-311-7373 or on our Live Help here on the website. Have a great day!

Yehh, but I never subscribed in the first place.

Keep going along with the scam, it's funny!

Funnily emough now I've said just leave the cash in a plastic bag at the cricket club I've not heard anything from them! It seems that everyone gets them, but there's some horrific stories on that website about people getting scammed and ending up getting ripped off and in some cases murdered because they've then ended up flying out to Africa to collect the money and stuff. It looks like it's a fairly serious issue despite the fact that I'm having a bit of a laugh with it.

mas cambios said:
I meant to post this before the latest update, but with regards to your match bowling - as negative as it may sound I would really work on putting the ball on the stumps as suggested for now.

Keep working on the usual line in practice and putting the odd there in a match, but look to have the majority on the stumps, will give you a better chance of a wicket.

Without even seeing this, I'd concluded after the last match that I needed to do this, so cheers you've confirmed my suspiscions!

Sunday, May 25, 2008
No match
No match to report this weekend as I was away with my younger son on "Beaver" Camp - (Cubs but not so hardcore). But I am happy to report that whilst on site there was evidence of cricket being played by scouts and cubs. They probably had to fill in a 28 page H&S report and ask the district commissioner if their game proposal was within the guidelines etc. My God the world has gone H&S mental and it is to the detriment of rounded human beings.

Last night I was mucking about with a ball outside bowling flippers and the derivative “Gipper” and I realized something really obvious. The gipper is just your bog standard flipper but with the hand rotated and twisted loads so that when click the ball out of your hand instead of the ball coming out with backspin you’re giving it loads of side spin. I then realized if you then twist your wrist a different way you’ll be bowling the ball and spinning it so that spins from off to leg? The potential seems enormous if you can click the ball in all sorts of directions and still get it up the wicket on a decent length and line.

So I had a go at the Gippers last night and as previously reported did okay. This morning I went over to the Rec and had an hour or so there practicing derivatives of the flipper – the one that spins from leg to off “The Gipper” and now this new one that does the opposite maybe the “Offer” or perhaps the “Floffer”? It works but like the Gipper it’s going to need practice. I also noticed that because I am twisting my hand, wrist and arm in really peculiar ways – probably 180 degree opposite to the bog standard Flipper instead of under-spin its producing top spin and it kind of bounces up quickly and higher that expected.

All of these derivatives of the flipper seem at the moment to be pretty inconsistent as to whether they turn or not but fairly accurate but again working against them is the fact that they’re slow. What is going to happen is that the batsmen are going to then go for hitting fours and I’ve got to learn where I should be trying to place the ball in order to force errors and secure a catch when this starts to happen . I kind of got the sense that I was beginning to get this sorted at the last match where I was putting the ball down the off side trying to produce wrong uns, but they were too slow and the batsman was just stepping back and hitting the ball off the back foot almost every time to Super Dave. Perhaps if Super Dave didn’t mind losing his teeth he might have been brought in closer to try and take the ball at 130mph while it was still in the air because in his position at cover it was dropping short of where he was fielding but always ending up in that area?

In amongst the Gippers and the Floffers I was trying normal Leg Breaks and they were working some of the time. But I’m not going to get my hopes up yet about whether I can bowl them well because when I transfer to a cricket pitch I can’t do them. In the meantime I’ll just keep on spinning and flicking apples, oranges, tennis balls, golf balls etc as much as I can so that the reflex eventually becomes almost instinctive and natural so that when I do bowl it – it works!

Posted by MPA first eleven at Sunday, May 25, 2008 0 comments
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Gipper news
This was posted elsewhere on a cricket forum - so kind of reads odd....

Yeah I'm kind of doing okay, one minute I think I've cracked the leg break and the next minute it's not happening. A week ago mucking about on tarmac throwing a hockey ball back and forth to my mate I was getting it turn massively and every single time with fairly good accuracy with the line and length. The next day in a cricket match - couldn't do it!This week same thing - just couldn't do it - just goes straight. But going backwards as Peter Philpott recommends - I can turn the hockey balls on tarmac and over short distances get a cricket ball to turn massively. It's just that when I move up to the 22 yards, the effort that I have to put into getting the ball up the end somehow dilutes the spin. I suppose what I need to do is gradually creep up the wicket in length during practice and be patient?All the other variations are going nicely and I've been playing around tonight with this variation I call the "Gipper" see the images here - http://mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com/2008/04/rain.htmlThe images are the view that the batsman sees so when you bowl it you do so with a weirdly twisted arm and wrist. But tonight it was coming along nicely - I'm managing to get a good length with it and fairly good accuracy. It's a weird ball and sometimes it spins away to off massively and other times it seems to really bounce. But I can't pinpoint what I'm actually doing in order to be consistent. Towards the end of the practice I was getting the speed up but it still remains a mystery as to what I have to do or exaggerate in the delivery in order to get it to spin like it does sometimes. When I first started bowling it - it use spin away to off at a ridiculous angle. But that seems to have reduced at the expense of speed and accuracy. But it still looks like a useful ball and I reckon I'm not too far away from trying it in a match.

This practice was over at FTF (Five Tree Field) I went over there to see if there was any evidence of the Gloucester Park crew having used the field this summer and there was any at all. But the grass has been cut and was nice and short - I'm tempted to keep it that way now? The ground is quite flat over there as well and the ground quite hard so there was quite a bit of bounce. Tomorrow morning I may go over there and have a couple of hours and work on my leg break and the gipper. If I don't go there I might go over Great Berry instead?

Posted by MPA first eleven at Thursday, May 22, 2008 0 comments
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
21st May
Went over the field (Local field) and bowled a few gippers and they're okay, fairly accurate, very loopy and possibly getting faster. The weird thing at the minute (and this could easily change) is that when I try and bowl them faster they end up just being straight and much faster, so I'm assuming that if you're batsman and you're one of those cocky types that is able to pick the delivery - you'd have spotted the gipper a mile off and you'd be waiting for it to spin away to off, so what with it suddenly being slightly faster and suddenlt straight that might cause a problem? It needs more work.

One other thing that I've only just noticed and that is if you're not practising over the full 22 yards, stop and make sure you do! It'll make a massive difference to your development as well as bowling arm strength.

mas cambios said:
One other thing that I've only just noticed and that is if you're not practising over the full 22 yards, stop and make sure you do! It'll make a massive difference to your development as well as bowling arm strength.

Mas - generally I do. It's only in the case of the Leg Break that I bowl shorter until I get into a rythymn.

Anyway here's today's installment. For the version with images have a look at my main blog at www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com

The Gipper is ready
An amazing practice day today! The rain had stopped and everywhere was wet and damp and the sun came out and it got hot and muggy. In the morning I'd checked out GBOS and it was soaked and will be for a few days so initially I thought I was scuppered. I'd taken the day off work so I was also in a position where I was having to look after my kids and they'd already moaned because I'd stopped off at GBOS to look at the state of the field, so it was obvious that If I'd suggested "let's go over to one of the fields and........." they be giving "Oh no Dad, not cricket"! So I was stuffed. I tried bowling outside the house but I need to be bowling the Leg Break over the full 22 yards if it's going to develop and there isn't the space. Then I noticed within sight of my house there's a little patch of rough grass that the local kids all play football on. I've bowled there before but we're talking rough, but being desperate I thought at least I can practice bowling the length and I can leave the two boys playing with their mates directly outside our house and I can still see them and hear them.

So with my stumps and a handful of balls I went and had a look. This patch of grass has one other good feature it's surrounded by a wire fence but that's about it. It's other features are that it's covered in dog crap, it's uneven and it's on a fair old slant. Initially I tried going across the slant but didn't like that and resorted to bowling up the slant as I did a couple of times last summer. That was preferable. Within a short while I thought it looked as though despite all the bad things going for it I could improve it by cutting the grass a bit and seeing how uneven it was down there. Some time later with the grass cut in front of the stumps for a few yards and bashing the lumps flat with a spade it looked do-able and bowling could commence with some purpose.

See the image here. The red spot indicates where my garage is and our house is directly behind the garage.
So the order of the day was The Gipper again but this time concentrating on getting the leading arm up high and the bowling hand too at the start of the rotation as suggested by someone on http://www.simplycricket.net/. The other thing I was looking to do was to get the ball on the stumps, none of that bowling it wide of leg or off with the intention that it turned into the stumps. I also got an inner tube off of a kids bike and used it as the target into which I was bowling.

The whole session went like a dream. Of all the balls the Gipper was the one that was working best turning from the middle towards off, but I was getting a consistent line and length with it and was able to vary the placement at will, so if I wanted to bowl down the legside and turn it into the stumps I could. I also noticed there are subtleties to this delivery like the leg break. Small variations in the way you grip it and twist your wrist mean that it can vary massively in what it does - Straight and skidding in like your bog standard flipper or straight and bouncing like a top spinner and then when you get it right and slow it up it turns very affectively. But the best thing was how consistent it was in the basic delivery aspects - line and length. I was also trying the Leg break and by the end of the session that was coming along nicely but requires of me absolute concentration in order that it spins towards off. The good thing about it is that it's faster than all my other deliveries I think and it bounces well.

By the end of the session I was bowling alternate balls - off-spin and Leg spin at will and hitting the stumps all the time.

After tea -

What with having such a succesful bowling session I now needed to try it out on someone so rang my mate Thomas and he was up for it. But.... Instead of going to one of the many grassy fields that we usually frequent he suggested that we used the artificial wicket over at Gloucester Park. I'd completely forgotten that it was there within the fenced off square at the main council pitch in Basildon. We drove over there and sure enough it was within the chain fence, so I'm not entirely sure that you're allowed to simply turn up and use it? We threw caution to the wind and set up there and threw a few balls and took a turn each to bat.

Now, what was interesting is that like a real cricket pitch (the ones I've played on) it didn't bounce that much and I couldn't get the ball to turn much either. So that now gives me the opportunity to practice on a surface that reacts like a cricket pitch potentially? Because of the lack of turn I could get out of this surface my bowling didn't look that special and I was getting tonked all over the gaff. But then towards the end of what seemed like a real lack lustre bowling session I realised that I hadn't incorporated the high leading arm and high starting position of the bowling arm. As soon as I did this my bowling immediately improved! As with earlier on getting it turn in either direction at will.

So what with re-discovering this artificial surface I feel like I'm onto another potentially important chapter in my development as a bowler.

Stumped said:
dave do you play on proper wickets as well?

Yeah - that's the problem. In practice situations on all sorts of surfaces I can get the ball to spin really well. But then when it comes to a real wicket and I've played on some really nice looking ones recently I just can't get the ball to spin. The only game I've had so far where I was affective was the one in the rain and the ball spun. So was this because the wicket and the ball were wet and therefore there was some grip or something or is it I get the gips/gyps in match situations?

I'm hoping that this artificial surface responds to the ball in a way that is more like a real cricket pitch e.g. it's harder to make the ball turn? That way Im working on the theory that if I practice on this surface and suss out how to get the ball to turn that will then transfer to a real wicket?

Dave;Practicing on real prepared wicket will help in developing your skills because on that sort of wickets u will be playing your matches.
When it comes to practicing on other type of wicket;u can concentrate on line & length.
But you can judge your flight,spin or googly only on a prepared wicket.

well even on a glorious looking "turf wicket" you can be left with no turn or bounce. Our resident Monty had this last week our track looked like a road, but it was dead as anything. He had to use his line and length to outwit the batsmen, which he did claiming 3 wickets.

Good bloke (Your Monty). Some of the wickets I've played on are as you describe them - like roads and I've been totally demoralised by the fact that it looks like cricket heaven and spins like cricket hell. I'll now go with a plan - if it doesn't turn - use line and length - cheers!

Too complicated. If I get drift and good flight that's nothing to do with any plan that I have in my head - that'll be pure coincidence.

Dear Mr Dave,

I put money in bag and take to Essex as you ask. Place near mower. But I want to make sure you get so I watch closely. Man not like look like your photo on blog come pick up bag.
I chase and he drop bag. Your money safe again. I happy and you happy too i think.
But I hurt my ankle bad running. Now i alone in new country, with sore ankle and 10000000 pounds in very heavy bag.
Please give me your bank details so i can deposit money and lighten bag to make my ankle feel better.

Yours Friend

Barr Teddy Williams
:)

Barney said:
Dear Mr Dave,

I put money in bag and take to Essex as you ask. Place near mower. But I want to make sure you get so I watch closely. Man not like look like your photo on blog come pick up bag.
I chase and he drop bag. Your money safe again. I happy and you happy too i think.
But I hurt my ankle bad running. Now i alone in new country, with sore ankle and 10000000 pounds in very heavy bag.
Please give me your bank details so i can deposit money and lighten bag to make my ankle feel better.

Yours Friend

Barr Teddy Williams
:)

Bar Teddy Williams - gutted that you didn't drop the money off. Try again next Sunday please?

In the meantime have a read of this - it might give you some other options as to where to leave the money? Cheers Dave.

Pile of crap
Man has it rained! Going in to work this morning all of the fields have loads of standing water and we're due more in the next couple of days too leading up to and into the weekend. So it does look at though the weekend could be rained off and I wont get to play. Still, possibly more time to work on the Gipper? Last night on the internet forums I came across a bloke that bowls 3 different variations of the flipper and he was saying that he's got all three working - The straight back spinner the one that turns into off from Leg (The gipper) and the opposite version which is a really difficult one to bowl I found so far. But he was also saying that he bowls the slider and described it in a way that I'd not heard before - like a wrong un but with the hand back to front. It makes sense but I can't imagine it's at all easy, just imagining that strains my brain!

Jump to Friday 30th....

After nearly a week of rain it looks like we may be in for a dryish weekend and some cricket. Looking on our clubs website last night though there was no mention of a game being organised just a note saying TBA. I've also emailed Neil the captain a couple of times now and as yet he's not got back to me so perhaps there's no game? This morning it was wet everywhere but not any rain, on the news overnight there'd been floods in West England (Somerset) so the whole place is really soggy and damp and crying out for some sun. At the moment it's overcast with little wind so if it stays like this the wicket will still be damp I reckon? Watched some of the world cup this morning England Vs Sri Lanka the game where Paul Nixon and Ravi Bopara had to get 3 off of the last ball to win and the Sri Lankan bowler ran up and stopped and then bowled Bopara out with the next ball. I was watching Mularitharan's bowling and realised that I bowl the Doosra as well! So that's another one of my experimental techniques that has now been recognised as being a standard delivery, so in my selection of deliveries I've got -

The Flipper
Top Spinner
Wrong Un
Leg Break
Doosra
Gipper

This morining I was experimenting with Flipper variations (The Gipper is a flipper variant). It seems possible that 3 variants of the flipper are possible - The straight one that back spins and goes straight on "The Flipper" but then you can turn your wrist and arm and make the ball spin into off from leg (The Gipper) and the reverse which is trickier but a bloke on Simply cricket was saying that he'd been bowling it and seemed to find it relatively easy. This morning just throwing the ball short distances I was able to do all this with just 90 degree turns of the wrist in different directions and get considerable deviation off the line with the spin. So it looks like there's a whole load of scope with the Flipper yet to be discovered?

I'm on the train at the moment and the suns come out - let's hope it stays out for the next couple of days.

Later - On way home.

It's remained dry today and fairly warm with sporadic sunshine so there wont have been any substantial drying of fields happening. Works really hard at the moment shed loads of stuff going on, both sets of students that I teach 1st and 2nd years are the worst students ever and each year it gets worse and yet somehow they have all got to pass and excel and there's other stuff going on as well so it's more stressful than usual, so I'm desperate to escape it all with a game of cricket. Over the next couple of days I should really avoid going on the internet as I should be working towards a teaching qualification that I'm doing - but I've got no enthusisam for it and just can't bring myself to do it, but I'm going to have to at some point otherwise I'll be out of a job!

Ignoring the fact that if I don't get the teacher qualification I'll get sacked I had such a crap day at work I had to do something different so I went over to Gloucester Park to the artificial wicket. (It's the light strip on the field in this ariel shot) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.577923,0.446277&spn=0.00284,0.010772&t=h&z=17

Having watched Mularitharan this morning bowling Doosras and realising that I've already been experimenting with the Doosra not realising what it was! I was looking forward to trying it out and seeing if I could improve it. What I'd noticed on the video was the flick that he gives it, I bowl it without the flick and it turns fairly well, so with the addition of the flick it seems as though again this is another variation with loads of potential?

The practice session which was around an hour and half was a total pile of crap. My bowling was awful. The only ball I could bowl was the bog standard flipper, the top spinner and the Doosra. The ones I wanted results from were The Gipper, Leg Break and the Doosra with the flick. For the first hour or so I bowled badly. Towards the end I started to get it together a bit and then went on to try the Doosra again with the big flick. The flick works making it spin really well from Off to Leg, but I was bowling it massively wide either side of the stumps with hardly any control over it. But it feels like something I can work on and get right in time.

I'm not going to go over all the negatives because it's too depressing. What I'm going to do is go along with the idea that when I haver crap bowling sessions they're usually followed up by a good one later. So I'm going to be positive about playing Sunday and it's a home game.

Another day a better practice.
What makes that happen? yesterday my bowling was appalling and today it was a lot better - not brilliant but okay in comparison with yesterday.

The weather forecast today was sunny and warm or at least warm and no rain. I'd got text last night from my captain saying that the game wasn't going to happen (Or did he read the blog and think - strewth Dave's bowling crap - I'll tell him the games off) so no cricket this weekend which pleased Michelle. I noticed that my backyard was really overgrown because of the recent rain so I got the shears out and cut it. Having cut the bulk of it short with the shears I then got the mower out and gave it a going over with that and it ended up looking really nice. I then got the bug so me and Ben went over to "Local Field" and cut the wicket which also was on the verge of getting unmanagable again and I knew that there was more rain on the way - scheduled for Monday so it needed to be done.

Despite cutting the wicket I didn't bowl on it and bided my time till the evening and went over to Gloucester Park and had an hour on the artificial strip. It wasn't brilliant but it got better towards the end. In the last 15 minutes or so I was bowling "The Gipper" spinning from Leg to Off and the new Doosra's which went the other way and I was bowling them alternately trying to pitch them in front of the stumps. Generally it went okay and seemed to be improving as I was going along.

So overall because of the relatively big improvement over yesterday I was quite happy. I tried some Leg Breaks and they spun a little and were quite accurate so that was okay too.

If you want to see the images check out -

www.mpafirsteleven.blogspot.com

Now there's a thing..

It didn't rain, coolish and cloudy all day with a bit of a breeze and in the late afternoon I drove over to my new regular venue - the all weather strip at Gloucester Park see images below.

Again a fairly dramatic improvement in my bowling, but nothing like the results that I was getting last weekend practicing at other venues. Which then got me thinking. One of the reasons I've started coming to this strip is because it's like real cricket wickets in that I find it really difficult to get the ball to turn off the surface. I can and today I was bowling alternating off spin and leg spin and it was working out okay. But - I then thought to myself what if I was to go to one of the rough old grass wickets that I practice on and see how that works out? Will it spin more? So after my dinner tonight I went over to "Local wicket" and threw a few balls over there 100 + and yes they spun like mad and bounced like mad making my bowling look like Shane Warne! So that's the answer - I can bowl on backyard style wickets and get the ball to turn the proverbial country mile - but put me on a flat track and my bowling becomes a lot less impressive.

So that now calls for a re-think. I need to be more tactical or learn how to get the ball to turn more on better wickets? It's a challange, but what I'll do is continue to practice on the surface here and just see if I can get the ball to turn big on this with the hope that when I then play on the real stuff I'll get a similar result.

My big leg break still isn't big but it does turn - it's more of a small leg break, but my off-spin options are all looking pretty good - The wrong un and the doosra both spin and turn well, so I've got them as an option, so all is not lost, I just need to persevere.

Oh yeah here's how rainy and wet it's been -

The weather is rubbish again - played in murky conditions yesterday on a damp one, although not as damp as the photo in the blog!

Sounds like you're developing an arsenal of different balls and variations, which can only be a good thing. Plenty of options if something isn't working.

mas cambios said:
The weather is rubbish again - played in murky conditions yesterday on a damp one, although not as damp as the photo in the blog!

Sounds like you're developing an arsenal of different balls and variations, which can only be a good thing. Plenty of options if something isn't working.

Yeah some aspects of my bowling are going well, but the Leg Break continues to allude me. I need to finish reading the Peter Philpott book and see if the last few chapters do anything to throw some light on what it is that I'm doing wrong. I can make it spin (Leg Break) really well over a shorter distance, but the full 22 yards and it seems the effort that I put into getting the ball up there undoes the spin. It maybe that I simply need to practice more - but in a different way. Simbazz suggested that I bowl back and forth with someone and I can see that would be really useful, but I just haven't got anyone I can do that with on a regular basis which is a shame as I suspect that would be very beneficial?

Anyway here's the lastest installment....

More rain and no match.................

More rain and no match it seems this Sunday, sounds like half a reason to top myself? Made worse by the fact that it's raining tonight and will rain Saturday but then on Sunday it's going to be Sunny. I need to play cricket! Over the last couple of weeks I've been looking out for the blokes over at Great Berry and haven't seen them once and there's no evidence that they've been practicing anywhere either, so I couldn't even blag a game with them somehow.

I've confirmed that once and for all that practicing on grass whether it's rough and lumpy or smooth - just as long as there is grass and it's green I can bowl like Shane Warne. Take away the grass and put me on a wicket and I then bowl spin like Simon Groves. "Who"? I hear you saying - yeah exactly it's someone who cannot bowl spin! So the answer seems to be I've got to try harder and keep practicing on the artificial wicket that offers no bounce or spin whatsoever. The theory being if I keep at it and start to get it to deviate there that will transfer to a real wicket effectively? Trouble is it's a couple of miles away and aggro to get to, but I reckon I've got to do it.

This evening I was flicking and spinning the ball from hand to hand and back and forth and just marvelling at how much spin I put on the ball. But I'm still not able to convert that into a consistent and useful Leg Break which is frustrating and now I'm thinking I need to look closer at the bigger picture - the bowling action and run up.

Watched the highlights tonight on Channel 5 of the NZ v England test and Jimmy Anderson took 6 wickets, man was the ball moving off the line - swinging outwards away from the batsman. There's some blokes recently talking about this on the wrist spin thread of www.simplycricket.net and the fact that this is an aspect of their bowling. As far as my bowling is concerned I'm miles away from that being a part of what I do.

What with the rain due again I mowed the practice wicket over at local field, the groundsman had also cut the grass on the field so it's pretty short all over. It'll be nice to have a series of days where we have some sunshine and the ground dries up. I noticed the appalling conditions of the 2nd wicket over at Gloucester Park, not so much the wicket but the outfield, the outfield is awful, there's an undulating pattern to the grass, but additionally most of it is a swamp and someone has driven lorries across it. It looks as though the council has had someone dredge the lake and take away the sludge in lorries hence the ruts caused by the wheels. There's a load of the mud also on the field and it's been spread out a bit, maybe they're going to use it to fill the ruts or something but for the short term the second wicket looks unusable - maybe for the whole season?

Now that I practice over at Gloucester on the artificial wicket I've got to say that the square in the last three weeks - possibly more hasn't been played on once and certainly hasn't been rolled. So the demand for the pitch is really low or non existent, which needless to say will threaten it's existence and I now understand the councils willingness to accommodate me and meet with me fairly readily as I'm a potential link to it being used. But it's a shame that cricket seems to be losing it's popularity to the point where the council will face the prospect of no longer maintaining the squares.

I tip that may or may not help. Try getting hold of an off cut of carpet to put down on the wicket to bowl on. If you get a really cheap and rough piece, whilst not ideal it can replicate an artificial wicket (of sorts).

The theory is, that if you can get it to turn on there, then real wickets are going to be easy as anything.

I'll have an ask round a few people I know as I might be able to get you a cheap piece of cricket matting (a few quid or something), which would help as you could just unroll it and then have an 'artificial' wicket where ever you play.

Back