Sore Spinning Finger Remedies

Spinaddict19

Hi Guys,
I have recently some of the skin on my spinning finger go sore. I thought it was just something doesn't usually happen and nothing to worry about but after reading Philpott's book i found out it was reasonably common. Do you guys do anything different to help it or do you go with Philpotts suggestion?

All sorts of potions and concoctions used by different spinners down the years for sore fingers.

Treat it like any other sore and have a break to recover. I think most, if not all spinners get them. It shows you have been practising a lot. Could be you are gripping the ball too tightly. The indoor cricket ball we use here is murder on your finger if you bowl too much spin with it.

All sorts of potions and concoctions used by different spinners down the years for sore fingers.

Treat it like any other sore and have a break to recover. I think most, if not all spinners get them. It shows you have been practising a lot. Could be you are gripping the ball too tightly. The indoor cricket ball we use here is murder on your finger if you bowl too much spin with it.
Thanks for that, I will try what you say. Is their any way to harden up the finger so it doesn't happen again?

Thanks for that, I will try what you say. Is their any way to harden up the finger so it doesn't happen again?
tannic acid solution is one thing used by some pro atheletes to toughen skin but the best thing is let nature take its course and the finger will toughen itself.

Hi Guys,
I have recently some of the skin on my spinning finger go sore. I thought it was just something doesn't usually happen and nothing to worry about but after reading Philpott's book i found out it was reasonably common. Do you guys do anything different to help it or do you go with Philpotts suggestion?

there is a whole thread already dedicated to this subject. Which you can find here:

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/taking-care-of-your-spinning-finger.50378/

I would say don't worry about hardening it up, that will happen naturally over time. the best thing is to treat it sensibly, don't practise when its still in the process of healing. let your finger fully recover and keep the skin well moisturised and supple, don't let it dry out or go the other way and let it get all pruney in the bath. if anyone suggests surgical spirits IGNORE THEM! that will only make things worse in the long run, i've tried just about everything under the sun and it really is just a matter of putting up with some pain for a time whilst your body adjusts to what you're putting it through and learning what to do and what not to do. i used to over practice to hell because i was so keen, i'd not let it heal and try bowling through the pain and it was just plain stupid but i have now developed a tough but supple callus as a result, but it had to rip and tear many times before it got to where it is now. oh and go easy on the googlies, they will really rip your finger to shreds.

there is a whole thread already dedicated to this subject. Which you can find here:

http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/taking-care-of-your-spinning-finger.50378/

I would say don't worry about hardening it up, that will happen naturally over time. the best thing is to treat it sensibly, don't practise when its still in the process of healing. let your finger fully recover and keep the skin well moisturised and supple, don't let it dry out or go the other way and let it get all pruney in the bath. if anyone suggests surgical spirits IGNORE THEM! that will only make things worse in the long run, i've tried just about everything under the sun and it really is just a matter of putting up with some pain for a time whilst your body adjusts to what you're putting it through and learning what to do and what not to do. i used to over practice to hell because i was so keen, i'd not let it heal and try bowling through the pain and it was just plain stupid but i have now developed a tough but supple callus as a result, but it had to rip and tear many times before it got to where it is now. oh and go easy on the googlies, they will really rip your finger to shreds.
Thanks for that

Had a similar situation with my spinning finger. Applies medical plaster tape and continued playing. Finger was ok in 2-3 weeks.

Yeah its up to the umpires under law 41.1
my young bloke used to use tape a bit in practise to save his finger but now his finger is hardened up but still the brand new indoor ball we use can cut into his finger if he overbowls it.

I had the tape on in the game... the umpire let me use it though I had to put a fresh one in front of him. I have also made a slight variation in my grip with the third finger resting just behind the seam (on the softer leather) instead of on the seam. This has cut down on friction drastically but requires some extra finger power.

Apart from medical remedies (taping/ Ointment/ etc) another important variation, spinner can try during spinning finger bruise is
1. use middle finger on thread line instead of ring finger
2. Use Mound of thumb as support opposite to mid finger for better gripping of thread line (wrist will be predominent in these sort of spinning)
problem in this grip is
a. line n length will be an issue if u try it in a match for the first time
b. ball will come out of hand as a loopy one (with lots of full toss or overpitch one)
c. Range of spin will be less but can be developed as a good grip ( many subcontinent players are trying this now a days with lot of success)

any comments!!!

Back