South Africa in Bangladesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas cambios

South Africa in Bangladesh

This one slipped under the radar due to some other 'events' happening this week. You'd have thought that this is merely a warm out for SA ahead of their forthcoming series in India.

Fixtures:

Sun 17 - Tue 19
Bangladesh Cricket Board XI v South Africans

Fri 22 - Tue 26
1st Test - Bangladesh v South Africa

Fri 29 - Tue 4
2nd Test - Bangladesh v South Africa

March 2008

Fri 7
TBC v South Africans

Sun 9
1st ODI - Bangladesh v South Africa

Wed 12
2nd ODI - Bangladesh v South Africa

Fri 14
3rd ODI - Bangladesh v South Africa

The first tour game ended in a draw and the so far honours are about even in the first test, with Bangladesh reducing SA to 76-4 after being bowled out for 192 themselves.

Re: South Africa in Bangladesh

Not sure what the state of the pitch is like. 14 Wickets fell on the first day. SA is going to have to rely on our middle order and tail to bail us out again. Boucher scored an undefeated hundred in the warm-up match so hopefully he's in good form. Prince has to bat through though and let guys like De Villiers and Boucher attack. Morkel got his first 5-for in tests. A lot is expected of him and looks to have a bright future ahead of him, taking over from Pollock. He and Steyn could develop into one the more exciting opening partnerships in world cricket with both being capable of bowling at around the 150km/h mark.

ShaneS said:
Not sure what the state of the pitch is like. 14 Wickets fell on the first day. SA is going to have to rely on our middle order and tail to bail us out again. Boucher scored an undefeated hundred in the warm-up match so hopefully he's in good form. Prince has to bat through though and let guys like De Villiers and Boucher attack. Morkel got his first 5-for in tests. A lot is expected of him and looks to have a bright future ahead of him, taking over from Pollock. He and Steyn could develop into one the more exciting opening partnerships in world cricket with both being capable of bowling at around the 150km/h mark.

Haven't seen much of the game but it must be a poor wicket, 14 in a day isn't good by any standards.

Boucher is due a knock so I back him for a 50 odd. Prince has been steady over the last 18 months so again, back him for a 50.

In recent times Prince has always been the man to rescue South Africa's innings so I'm expecting him to score big. Same with Boucher. Bangladesh might have done well today but they don't tend to perform well for more than a day or two at most, which is why they have hardly won a test.

How often do we see this happen. Bangladesh did well for the first two days and threw it away on the third day.

MasterBlaster said:
How often do we see this happen. Bangladesh did well for the first two days and threw it away on the third day.

It's generally the other way round.

Yeah, the longer the game the weaker they are. They manage to get a partnership going, but when its broken all of them fall in a hurry. I think South Africa will put up a stronger performance in the next test. This series is just a warm up for the upcoming test series against India and it would be beneficial for them if their players get acclimatized to the subcontinental conditions soon.

In one way it's good that Bangladesh took the game into a 4th day but they really should have set South Africa a target of 275 to
chase.

Those extra runs might have made a massive difference to the outcome of this match.

The game's going like one would have anticipated. Smith has made a brisk century and Mc Kenzie isnt too far from it. This is so typical of Bangladesh. SA should make 600 and then Bangladesh will get off to a good start and then throw it all away and lose by an innings.

This is really dominating display of batting by South Africa. They have taken complete advantage of the conditions and may well get the world record opening stand. The current record is 413 and has stood for more than 5 decades.

405 without loss at the end of the first day! A new record bettering the previous best of 326 without loss at the end of the 1st day. To quote Tony Greig, its "carnage" out there.

That wicket must really be flat. SA have taken full advantage of the batting conditions and will be looking to mount an even bigger total and bowl Bangladesh out twice. Smith is leading from the front again and Mckenzie has played his first real substantial innings since being recalled. They've stepped up their game regardless of the standard of opposition presented to them and this was lacking in the first test. This is Smith's fourth double century surpassing the 3 of Gary Kirsten.

They only need 9 more to break the world record in test cricket! That is some batting, 400 plus in a day.

They have time to rack up 800 here and still leave themselves 3 days in which to win the game.

Sehwag and Dravid were so close to break the record a couple of years ago but they fell just three runs short. I think it will be broken this time though. With the conditions in favour of the batsmen and the quality of the bowling Smith should be eyeing a triple century.
I think they have enough time to score 1000 runs and then win the game though I doubt they'll bat for more than 2 days.

LOL i wouldnt mind it either whats the highest test match score anyways

900 and something, I think. By Sri Lanka, where Jayasuriya made 300 odd and Mehala Jayawardenes first match.

Of the top of my head it was 952 for 6 or something, but it was a very flat wicket.

The record was broken but Smith fell soon after, last I saw they were still motoring along and had reached 500-1.

To update that, SA had a collapse of sorts and declared on 583-7, Bangladesh have slipped to 60-3, courtesy of Steyn.

disappointed that more records didnt fall. smith should have made a triple century

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back