South Africa in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: South Africa in India

If this pitch doesn't start turning tomorrow than I will be very disappointed. We got the same kind of pitches in the India vs Pakistan series and that was very boring. Whats the point of preparing such pitches? Im sure they can play for 10 days without reaching a result on such pitches.

Im shocked. What a brilliant innings. This is beyond any of my wildest dreams. His name will go up there with two of the greatest batsmen for being only the third batsman to have scored two triple hundreds. I sincerly hope he gets to 400.

Its hard to say. The way he was batting even 500 is possible. But now that they have taken a break things could easily change. If he gets past the first hour then I think he might make it.

Well things didn't go according to plan for India today. They made 481 for the first 2 wickets and barely managed 150 for the next 8. Only India can play like that. I have absolutely no idea what Dravid was doing. He took as many balls for his 100 as Sehwag took for his triple hundred.
I think the match is heading for a draw unless South Africa make a brave declaration.

This is not what I had expected from the famed Indian middle order. Rahul Dravid did make his 25th hundred and reached 10000 Test runs but his strike rate was far too low considering the strong position India were in. I doubt if India will be able to get a result in their favour from this match now.

I hope he regained his form now. We dont want more 300 ball 100's from Dravid on flat pitches.
South Africa have already wiped off the lead now. The pitch isnt still helping Singh and Kumble so this will definitely be a draw.

India totally lost the plot today. South Africa did well to restrict them to 627. Just shows how much of a difference one day can make. Its certainly heading for a tame draw now. Why do they make such pitches in India. This is going to kill test cricket.

This has draw stamped all over it, unless South Africa collapse in the morning session.

Less roads, more pitches that offer something to all.

This will surely be a draw. India has the tendency to prepare such tracks due to which we have a large number of drawn tests.
My friend who lives in Ahmedabad, which will host the next test, says the news there is there they have left a bit of grass on the track. The curator is also promising that it will be a sporting wicket. I just hope they dont shave off the grass a day before the match starts.

I bet they do! The thing is you have a pretty good pace line up these days, give them the pitches so that they have a chance to shine.

south afrcia should bat all day tomorrow and get some records of their own because this match is surely going to have no result. these kind of pitches in india are the reason why the popularity of test cricket is going down in india and now with t20 cricket whos going to watch tests. its ok that they dont want seaming and bouncy wickets because that has not been indias strength until recently but at least they could prepare pitches that help the spinners. if the pitch for the next game is as dead as this one then im not going to bother watching it.

It's unfortunate that Sehwag couldn't capitalize on his brilliant play on day 3, but even as an Indian fan, I'm glad that Lara's record still stands, because he's too good of a batsman to lose that record to Sehwag. What was more depressing was India's collapse after Sehwag's dismissal. A lot of people were criticizing Dravid for motoring along slowly yesterday, but it looks like his innings was key for India to finish the innings with at least a bit of a lead. This one will end up going down in the books as a draw, barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Well I think Sehwag deserved it more than Lara. Sehwag's innings was more dominating and came at more than a run a ball. If anyone has to score a match winning 400 then it has to be at a run-a-ball. The collapse was indeed disappointing but I think Dravid created pressure on other batsmen by not scoring runs. And that shot by Dhoni was utterly ridiculous. :laugh:

On to the next Test...

I believe that it is a no-brainer that RP Singh should be dropped. He bowled dreadfully in the match and it was clear that he didn't appear fit - his hamstring still appeared tight in his action, although his run up was good. I am usually a fan of giving players second chances after one bad match, but feel that, in his current state, he cannot provide the accuracy to trouble international batsman. He may pick up one or two wickets with the new ball, but I feel that he will also be expensive with it as well as being uninspiring with the old ball, if he plays in the second Test. I would pick the recently declared fit, Ishant Sharma in place of RP Singh.

Sreesanth's issue is far more complicated. Far from being unfit, he appears to simply try too much when he is bowling. Wide of the crease, the inswinger, the low slung action - he tries them all within the space of a few overs. Sreesanth is best when he, quite simply, has the nice high arm action, relaxed at the crease and takes it away from the right hander off a good length. I feel that his selection should depend on whether he can maintain that approach in the training sessions between now and Thursday - perhaps Prasad should have a word with him about it, though I'd be astonished if he hasn't already. I'd be inclined to pick Sreesanth on a pitch which promises to have something in it for the seam bowlers and I need not remind people about his brilliant seam position, but I think he will be similarly disappointing as in the first Test if he does not attain some consistency in the action.

This was the most dullest match ever except for the third day. I am happy that I couldnt watch the match.

Sreesanth always tries to do too much. Hes very inconsistent because of that. But on a pitch like this you cannot blame the bowlers because they would get frustrated because they get no help at all. Sharma should play instead of RP singh in the next match and if Zaheer is fit then he should play instead of Sreesanth.

Assuming Ishant Sharma will not be ready for the second test, I think Pathan would be the best alternative to RP Singh.

I was looking through the scorecard and noticed that Harris gave up 203 runs from his 50 overs. How many times before has a bowler given up a double century in runs?

Rohitpatel said:
Sreesanth always tries to do too much. Hes very inconsistent because of that. But on a pitch like this you cannot blame the bowlers because they would get frustrated because they get no help at all.

I don't think that it is true that the pitch offered no help at all, when Sreesanth probed the corridor in the first innings; he certainly troubled the batsman.

Sachin Tendulkar has been injured and he'll miss the second test. Mohammad Kaif has been called for backup. I guess this means Yuvraj Singh will a chance to redeem himself.

pal said:
I was looking through the scorecard and noticed that Harris gave up 203 runs from his 50 overs. How many times before has a bowler given up a double century in runs?
There have been 22 other occasions where a bowler has conceded more than 200 runs in an innings, two of which have occured in the same innings. Pakistani bowlers Fazal Mahmood and Khan Mohammad conceded more than 200 runs in the same innings as West Indies piled on a mammoth 790. It was in the same test that Sir Gary Sobers made the then world record score of 365.

I see, it seemed somewhat rare at first glance, but I guess there have been large totals before.

Tendulkar being out is horrible news. He wasn't much of a factor in the first test, but I was hoping that he could play some solid innings this series. I'm guessing Ishant Sharma won't be ready in time for the second test either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back