Who would you choose?

• Broad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Southee

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jelly Beanz

Southee vs Broad

Ok, a simple head to head here. Who would you rather have playing for your country, Stuart Broad or Tim Southee?

Both are young pace bowlers with big reputations and more than a hint of batting talent. Southee has it over Broad regarding age and, as you would expect, Broad has one over Southee regarding experience. How do you expect the two of them to compare in the long and short term??

To help you along, here are links to their Cricinfo pages:
Southee - http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/newzealand/content/player/232364.html
Broad - http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/10617.html

Re: Southee vs Broad

It's still a bit early to judge Southee too much. Whilst he had an excellent test against England last month, it's how he performs in unhelpful and unfamiliar conditions that will really be the acid test for him as a bowler. As a batsman, his 70+ against England was excellent batting, but in fairness, he had nothing to lose by having a swing, and was quite right to do so - it'll be interesting to see his approach in games where his batting could mean the difference between saving a test or losing it.

I'll plump for Broad at the moment, as I think he's starting to become consistent with the ball and has started to score a few runs to justify the 'this boy can bat a bit' tag the commentators keep bestowing upon him.

Well I think Southee is too new to international cricket. I think if they play for one year regularly in the team then they can be compared. I have never seen Southee bat but Broad has good technique to bat.

I wasn't massively impressed by Southee in his first test. He started really well, picking up the 3 wickets but from the 2nd day onwards he became more wayward, lost pace, and looked pretty unfit. I really don't think he's ready for test cricket. He's obviously got some talent, but i've not seen anything from him thus far that means he can be compared with Broad. Broad's been consistently taking wickets in all forms of the game for a few years, he's a much better bowler than Southee at the current time. No comparison for me.

Back