Spin Bowling Appendix

Tumo

Alright guys,

I've just started making a spin bowling guide (nothing like Menno's, just working on some of the stuff you see in Philpott's book, and a bit of Woolmer's too), talking about stuff like different deliveries, how to bowl them, usefulness (in what situations, how to set batsmen up using it, etc.), and how going round the wicket to a LHB/RHB can affect things, and the line to bowl. As I'm talking from an SLA point of view, I'd be interested to see what a leg-spinner would put. How I've done it is:

Deliveries - Explained the action on the ball, wrist position, finger position, etc. Also the expected results, including the effect on the ball in the air (swing/drift).
Angles - To RHB/LHB, going over and round the wicket. Talked about going tight/wide on the crease with each angle. Explained how going tight on the crease to bowl an arm ball, and then wide on the crease to bowl a big spinner (to aid with the "effect" of bigger turn), or vice versa, can set up a batsman.

I would be interested to see how leg-spinners would talk about this, and how they would use their variations, etc. I will hopefully be building on this a bit more, as I have a lot of free time here in the evenings!

Ben

It might well do when I find the time to type it up Dave! It's currently scrawled around on different bits of paper, so I'm not sure how to put it all into one appendix right now!

It might well do when I find the time to type it up Dave! It's currently scrawled around on different bits of paper, so I'm not sure how to put it all into one appendix right now!

It's hard work mate if you illustrate it as well, but kind of satisfying when you get loads of hits on the blog and see it appearing linked to places like the Guardian newspaper!!!

We shall see Dave! Struggling to find the time to write it at the moment, snowed under with Uni work, work work, and literally snowed under with skiing! I've just changed clubs back home, and I'll probably blog about that, to get me back into the swing of things! I'll get a load written up soon, I'm just trying to find the energy to be bothered to do it! Haha

We shall see Dave! Struggling to find the time to write it at the moment, snowed under with Uni work, work work, and literally snowed under with skiing! I've just changed clubs back home, and I'll probably blog about that, to get me back into the swing of things! I'll get a load written up soon, I'm just trying to find the energy to be bothered to do it! Haha

I noted at the end there, there's a call for contributions from people to say what it is that they do tactically. That in itself is a pretty complex ask and one that requires a fair old lump of writing, a good person for that would have been Jim2109, but he seems to have given up the art. He was a good un for sharing his wisdom and theories and had masses of self belief. I wonder what went wrong with him? I'd give it a go, but tactically I'm still a learner. There's some potentially useful stuff on the field setting thread. I'm going to have a look over there...........

Back