Spin Bowling dyspraxia and motor skills

someblokecalleddave

Spin Bowling dyspraxia and motor skills

Sorry big title, but may turn out to be a big topic!

Firstly it seems logical to me that some people might have mild or negligible dyspraxia? Developmental dyspraxia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Therefore if you were slightly dyspraxic, you may have the abilities to do most of the normal functions that you or I are expected to perform on a day to day basis, but then when you challenge yourself to do something such as Wrist Spin Bowling you may be working at the limits of your motor learning abilities?

Discuss..............

re: Spin Bowling dyspraxia and motor skills

Dyspraxia is a subject I have covered in many research papers and have to say that I find your post extremely perplexing.

Firstly, those with dyspraxia find wrist spin extremely easy and are more likely to [naturally] bowl with this action without thinking about it; switching between off and leg with great ease.

Secondly, more out of curiosity, why did you include autism in the title?

I had a test a few years ago when I was training to be a teacher and it came up with the fact that I was a Kinaesthetic learner and I'm pretty sure that it also had some kind of read out that suggested that I had very slight tendencies towards autism. I have a tendency to see things in an extremely B&W nature a lot of the time and people often say that when I talk about a whole range of subjects I do so with very little regard for social norms.

From What is autism? - NAS

In particular, understanding and relating to other people, and taking part in everyday family and social life may be harder for them. Other people appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, and some people with autism may wonder why they are 'different'.

The above would be a lot of peoples take on how I am. I'm not saying that I have autism, but I often have wondered whether perhaps it's possible to have traits of any of the above and if you do could it impair a persons ability to bowl and do some of the more complex things involved in bowling?

I read some of the info on the link I provided and noted that as you say people with these conditions also excel in other areas of their lives. It's not meant to have come across as being provocative, more exploring the potential, that in my case it may be the reason I can't turn my perceptions of what I'm doing into actions? I'm just looking for answers?

It is a very complex and challenging subject. I have been involved with coaching players with autism and whilst rewarding it can also be very hard work. However, many of the players involved also suffered from mild learning difficulties or co-ordination problems which compounded any issues from autism. Therefore it is hard to actually understand just exactly what was limiting them as it could have been one of many things.

As you say they tend to have a very black and white view of the world, one that can be extremely difficult to empathise with. At times trying to explain to some of the guys why they were out was nigh on impossible as they simply couldn't grasp the concept.

I don't think there has ever been a savant who has excelled as sports though, they tend to be more in the academic or creative fields.

Dave, you didn't come across as being provocative at all... just evasive. I was really interested in what you were getting at; I was reading between the lines and wanted to make sure that I had read what you did not write correctly :D.

As for you being on the low spectrum of autism... I doubt it very much. How long have you traced your ancestry? You will probably find you're just from Yorkshire stock ;).

I am not sure I would put you in the dyspraxic camp either, which is totally unrelated to autism. However, if you are interested these two threads may give a little bit more information:

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58408/
http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57465/

You do have a tendancy toward compulsive behaviour. At the moment this manifests itself in 'over engineering'. Try thinking less; it's holding you back.

That's re-assuring, cos I do worry about a lot of things. Everybody says that I'm obsessive and that I think too much and compulsive behaviour gets me in trouble as well. The ancestry thing, a relative did a trace on my Mums side back 500 years and that lead to family in North Essex on an estate till the Industrial revolution. My Dad - Yorkshire hhmmm not likely, but then you never know? Or are you pulling my leg and I've not realised!!!!! I'd put those smiley things in here but I don't know how to!!!!

Maybe it's paranoia then - my brothers a paranoid schizophrenic, or as my wife say hypocondria (Plantar Fasciitis, Medial epicondylitis) etc.......

Re: Spin Bowling dyspraxia and motor skills

Though off topic slightly, I should also add to what I wrote earlier. Autism (nor any disability really) is no barrier to participation in cricket, providing you understand and allow for it. Whilst they may never reach the top levels, the main thing is that the players enjoy (which most, if not all seem to). From a coaching point of view, I tend to find it more enjoyable as there is no pressure and it tends to be an easy going session with a lot of laughter.

I hve often wondered if I have slight autistic tendencies as well. I do sometimes feel awkward in certain social situations and am also a fully-paid up hypochondriac!:rolleyes:

We all are autistic to some degree if you believe in the autistic spectrum. However, I struggle to see how people can possibly still believe in an "autistic spectrum". I did my extended project on difficulties in the classroom- teaching degrees have got a lot more competitive.

Who isn't afraid of new people? But that's a little socially inept if you fear new people and are scared.
Who isn't slightly obsessive over something in there lives? Family, friends, car, there local cricket team... but isn't being obsessive a sign of being on this "spectrum".
Who doesn't get into a routine and likes things to stay as they are? But sameness is another characteristic.

All in all i think people throw autism around too easily to explain problems and faults. Teachers if a child struggles and is a little shy - oh we'll blame it on autism if he has one other of the naturally human traits that are attributed as Autistic.
Worst of all people just use it to find a reason to excuse there personalities, we're a soceity of hypochondriacs with a "worst case scenario" consultant at our fingertips that is the internet and if you type in "shy, obsessive, likes a routine" on google your immediatly branded as autistic and we'll believe it because its the computer telling us, that machine made by humans that everyother day were banging our heads against for being slow or losing a word file, but when it comes down to health its the nextgen dr.house.

I say this (and made my ep on it) because I got labelled as having aspergers when i was at primary school because I was very precise with numbers and science, i had a very low affinity for english and arts, i was shy and quiet and that i'd always get to school at same time and i hated being late for anything (still do). Then when i was in YR 11 they told me i hadn't got it i was just a naturally shy, punctual, naturally intelligent lad who got A and A*s across the board in all subjects including eng lit and lang, but the annoyance and humiliation of being labelled with an overused "defect" has remained withme and still winds me up.

In my case, the disorder has been verified by various psychologists and psychiatrists. This disorder was diagnosed alongside ocd and adhd. I often make impulsive and socially inept decisions which seems to back-up the diagnoses

Back