Spinning The Other Way ?

It is actually possible to an extent, if you can get the perfect seam alignment in two different deliveries which have the seam pointing in the same direction, spinning in opposite directions. The 45 degree OBS and 45 degree googly are the best to use. You need to get some hard revs on them and the seam alignment needs to be absolutely identical. If the batsman sees the googly first a few times, then the backspinner his brain won't register a difference because he will see the ball spinning in the same direction. After a while this should wear off once he recognises the backspinner but it does work at least once with most batsmen. Disguise it well enough and he will see a googly where there is a backspinner or the other way around.

It is actually possible to an extent, if you can get the perfect seam alignment in two different deliveries which have the seam pointing in the same direction, spinning in opposite directions. The 45 degree OBS and 45 degree googly are the best to use. You need to get some hard revs on them and the seam alignment needs to be absolutely identical. If the batsman sees the googly first a few times, then the backspinner his brain won't register a difference because he will see the ball spinning in the same direction. After a while this should wear off once he recognises the backspinner but it does work at least once with most batsmen. Disguise it well enough and he will see a googly where there is a backspinner or the other way around.

Yes, but the problem with that is that the change in action required to spin a ball in 180 degrees the opposite direction will be easy to pick. There is no bowler in the world that can bowl a googly and then a slider without a noticeable change in action.

Yes, but the problem with that is that the change in action required to spin a ball in 180 degrees the opposite direction will be easy to pick. There is no bowler in the world that can bowl a googly and then a slider without a noticeable change in action.

Even if it is noticeable, why would the batsman be looking? After all it's just a spinner, and what can a spinner do? HA! Spinners are made to be smashed out of the park! (That's if your a batsman at club level or even first class level sometimes)

You can disguise it if your arm speed is quick enough. The faster your wrist action happens the smaller the chance that the two deliveries will be seen in time.

Even if it is noticeable, why would the batsman be looking? After all it's just a spinner, and what can a spinner do? HA! Spinners are made to be smashed out of the park! (That's if your a batsman at club level or even first class level sometimes)

You can disguise it if your arm speed is quick enough. The faster your wrist action happens the smaller the chance that the two deliveries will be seen in time.

I dunno, maybe in South Africa it is different, but even at the mediocre level I play in the UK, batsmen would notice if you did something obviously different with your wrist. There is a reason why every successful professional spinner has built his repertoire around small subtle changes in spin angle.

Yeah i did a bit of research on my question, found out it was only possible with a camera, if you record your bowling and watch it, because if you spin it like Warne, the typical 30 fps iphone camera will get 1 frame and the other frame when the ball has spun 170 ° ,but the human brain will see the ball spinning in the right direction, maybe you are talking about another effect.

I dunno, maybe in South Africa it is different, but even at the mediocre level I play in the UK, batsmen would notice if you did something obviously different with your wrist. There is a reason why every successful professional spinner has built his repertoire around small subtle changes in spin angle.

Here in South Africa your the next Shane Warne if you can toss a leg spinner up higher than Mount Everest and turn it a bit with an occasional telegraphed googly. Or if you can fire in 80kph flat darts that don't even straighten. That's how spin dyslexic our batsmen are! The whole system here is a total mess, club level is more difficult and challenging than SWD (provincial) level. There isn't any batsman who isn't a spinner himself that can pick my (or any other spinner's) variations that I have bowled to so far.

Back