Staying Alert And Awake.

chippyben

I find Im tired on saturday afternoons. When I go into bat especially after bowling I find my concentration waning. Does anyone use a pick me up like caffeine tablets or the like to stay alert. Im sure the pros must use something especially in long innings on hot days.
I know aussie rules footballers use caffeine tablets and panadol but I guess that is a different type of sport that needs you up at full intensity for short periods.
Any ideas?

Geez the old batting forum is a bit slow. I think the wrist spin section is the only thing that keeps this site going. Anyway Im going to answer my own question. I took a No Doze caffeine tablet before the start of play today and I felt alert and full of energy, especially when batting. I'd highly recommend it. I did a bit of research and found that having one tablet was like drinking about 3 cans of coke so I dont think that is too excessive.

Yeah, I was gonna reply (and thought I did actually), internet must have died on me! I recommend either a low-GI breakfast, so that the carbs burn slowly. Also, I have a banana before the match, and works for me, I would recommend something along those lines. I've found also that anything with guarana in it works. But caffeine is a very good choice. It's difficult really, as you're going to have a comedown at some point, you just don't want it to be too early one! Lucozade glucose tablets will work to an extent too, and you can keep them in your pocket on the field as well, which is a win-win!

I don't think I have ever had this problem. If anything I'm too nervous about the need to hit a 50, and I just need to try and chill out and relax a little and let things happen.

Forget about the short-term future, gonna have to start doing the hours on the pavement, running track, treadmill, freerunner, bike, stepper, etc. and be patient for the results. At least, that's what I know I have to do!

maybe a change in diet would help? Even if you can pull through the trianing session with a dose of caffeine it wont work when you are in a game situation where you will be batting for a 2hrs+

I do find this sport SO time consuming... a game lasts a whole day for 50 overs and in addition a player still has to squeeze time out for fitness amongst other things...

Back