Stepping towards the ball

Sean

Stepping towards the ball

I never put my front foot to the ball, I always put it away(Probably the same reason as Manee in the other thread).

Can anyone help me with this? As I really want to do better in my batting than I have in previous seasons.

My highest score is only 13 and I've played since late 2002.

Re: Stepping towards the ball

It is hard to say what to do. I think maybe the best thing is, get someone to give you some slow throw-downs to help get footwork moving and get them to be faster as you get better and getting your foot to the pitch of the ball. Make sure you keep your eye on the ball at all times as well.

Whats your batting stance?
Start with your front foot out if the crease and when the ball leave the bowlers hand i always go forward then back if i need a back foot shot.

Get throwdowns rather then full pace bowling. Practise getting that front foot forward then try it in the nets with your mates bowling full pace.

Sean said:
I never put my front foot to the ball, I always put it away(Probably the same reason as Manee in the other thread).

Can anyone help me with this? As I really want to do better in my batting than I have in previous seasons.

My highest score is only 13 and I've played since late 2002.

Apologies as I missed this for some reason.

When I was younger I was told to stick a peg in the ground and then attach a length of elastic to a ball then attach it to the peg.

This then gives you a target to aim your foot at whilst also making sure that the person giving the throw downs is able to hit the roughly the same spot time after time.

Then it's just a case of practice, get into your stance and get your foot to the pitch of the ball.

That is a good tip for the positive. I have one for the anti-negative:

-Put a few cones outside your leg stump from in line with your legs to just in front.
-You cannot step away because you will step on the cones and fall over.

Simple but effective :cool

manee said:
That is a good tip for the positive. I have one for the anti-negative:

-Put a few cones outside your leg stump from in line with your legs to just in front.
-You cannot step away because you will step on the cones and fall over.

Simple but effective :cool

I think we used to do some similar but with benches, they were placed either side of the stumps, jutting out about a good step forward from the crease.

As you said, you have to get into line with the ball otherwise you get pegged in by the obstacle.

StanTheMan said:
What about the opposite problem, going back and keeping line?

I always go forward then if its short i just rock back. Same thing, get some throw downs.

It's hard to judge without seeing you but I would look at your setup, backswing and step to see where the issue started to go wrong.

Then I would work on that aspect with you. For example if you are unbalanced in your setup you could be losing balance or you may not be keeping your front shoulder pointing to the ball as you step into the shot.

Can you post a video?

Back