Stepping Up To U/19s

ChrisP

Hi Guys!

It has been a long time since I've been on here, and i have to say that I have made very little progress since last year.

The year that went by wasn't really a good cricket year for me, At the start of the year I got a highest score of 15 opening for the school's 2nd XI (Even though I was 15 years old).
At the end of the year I got back into the game a bit better, scoring 19 of 18 balls, hitting my 1st ever 6!

I was chosen to play for the 1st XI and I batted at 8, I came in with the wickets tumbling but held out for the last 10 overs only scoring 6.

Now the new year has started and I am officially a senior. We don't really have a good team! Playing with 4 x 18 year olds, 1 x 17 year old and 6 x 16 year olds!

We played our 1st match the day after school started, so everyone was rusty. The other team was really good and have played 2-3 matches already!

It was a Pro20, I went In to bat at 4, made 6 runs (Highest in the top 6!), but then the new batsman that came in wanted me to go for 2 runs even though there was never a run on, I said no but he kept running. We made only 56 and they chased our score down in 14 overs.

I really want to improve my batting! I am a very defensive player and I get bogged down and I can't keep the runs ticking! I can also bowl when they need me and I'm a good fielder, especially when it comes to saving ones and twos.

Some problems I have noticed in the last match is:
1) I can't play against swing! One bowler beat me every time with reverse swing! I edged him once, luckily through the 2 slips for 2. Any advice on this?
2) I catch myself playing of my back foot a lot! Even if the ball is not short!
3) When I play front foot, I don't have a big range of where my foot plants! Almost always go straight!
4) I feel "scared" to follow through and drive the ball rather than just blocking it.

Do you have any advice for me?

We are playing a 50 over match this coming weekend, and I would really like to score 20+ for the 1st time! I should bat 4-6 again and will have quite some time!

My friend, who also plays for the 1st XI, and I are going to practice in the nets on our own for 1 hour 2 times a week, working on batting and bowling. Any specific drills we can do?

And lastly! I am a very quick runner between the wickets and I have the guts to push for a 2nd when I'm going to the danger end, but I constantly find myself with slower batsman? What should I do? And I've started playing with spikes, but it has effected my speed, but not really that much, I'll get used to it!

Any other tips will be welcome!

Cheers!
ChrisP

I think that the only advice is to hit lots of balls. Get another mate who is keen and get 5 or 6 cricket balls. Literally just spend hours throwing balls at each other and working on different shots. There is no shortcut and with lots of hard work you will see the improvements on the field. Good luck!

Back