Stretches for Flexibility (obliques)

Liz Ward

Stretches for Flexibility (obliques)

Here's a good one for both batting and bowling:

Lying Leg Cross-Over Stretch

Lie on your back, legs together, arms outstretched (crucifix style).
Brace your core.
Keep your shoulders pressed against the floor at all times.
Cross your left leg over your right so that it is parallel to your right arm, rotating the back and hips.
Hold.

Repeat with the right leg.

Re: Stretches for Flexibility (obliques)

Realising that static stretches are poor for explosive strength, am I right in thinking that this to be done after matches or before (or way away from) a match day rather than on match day.

Good point. To repeat the posting in the leg stretches thread:

These exercises, and the others I shall post, should be performed after every activity.

These exercises are multi skills and should be performed by everybody just to keep your body in tip top form for life in general, as you can imagine, this is even more important for sports people.

Tight muscles are the main cause for biomechanical dysfunction which in turn cause injury.

For your cricket, you need to perform more functional dynamic flexibility before every match/training. These will be a lot easier if you have greater ROM.

While you are here, I just wanted to let you know that I have posted a video of my bowling - 3 balls at side on, with the feet visible, as you requested.

What are yout thoughts on lumbar spine position for this stretch Liz?

I have avoided it recently beacuse I'm worried about the positions kids are taking up, especially in group settings where it's hard to correct technique.

manee said:
While you are here, I just wanted to let you know that I have posted a video of my bowling - 3 balls at side on, with the feet visible, as you requested.

I saw the posting Manee but unfortunately I cannot access it. Perhaps I do not have the right software.

Harrowdrive said:
What are yout thoughts on lumbar spine position for this stretch Liz?

I have avoided it recently beacuse I'm worried about the positions kids are taking up, especially in group settings where it's hard to correct technique.

As long as the core is braced, thereby supporting the spine, and the only movement with the leg is the rotation of the back and hips ie, no shuffling and the shoulders do not leave the ground, it should be fine.

Of course, if there is any weakness in the lumbar area, this stretch should be approached with caution.

Liz Ward said:
I saw the posting Manee but unfortunately I cannot access it. Perhaps I do not have the right software.

It plays with VLC Media Player.

Not just obliques ;)

Reaching Upper Back Stretch

Stand with your arms out in front of you, crossed over at the wrists.

Push your arms forward as far as possible and drop your head forward.

When i do this stretch i get a 3/4/5 clicks in my back- wot does it mean?

i def feel looser after doing it though

the lying on the back stretch that is

The clicking is caused by relatively lax joint capsules that allow more than a usual amount of movement. As long as there is no pain, swelling, redness or a reduction in the joints' movements, then no worries.

One for the Latissimus dorsi.

Stand with feet parallel, hip width apart.
Raise your left arm vertically above your head.
Lean to the right, bending at the waist as far as possible, in one plane.
Then lead forward, rotating at the waist and reaching your left hand towards the right hand corner of the room in front of you.

Hold for 10 seconds.

Repeat with the other side.

To understand how to stretch effectively, one must understand the target muscle; what its function is, its origins and its insertions.

In this case, it is the latissimus dorsi:

Originates on the
..spinous processes of the lower six thoracic vertebrae
..all five lumbar vertebrae
..the posterior aspect of the ilium
..the lower three ribs
..inferior angle of the scapular.

It passes beneath the axilla (armpit).

Inserts on the edge of the intertubercular groove on the anterior aspect of the humerus.

Contraction produces
..internal rotation
..extension
..adduction of the shoulder joint.

Without the rotation, you are not stretching the latissimus dorsi but the obligues ;)

The latissimus dorsi is called the 'swimming muscle'. If you consider the front crawl, you need extreme strength in this muscle to move the arm through the water as it internally rotates, extends and adducts the shoulder joint.

I think you can see the crossover to pace bowling here so I think you can see how extremely important it is to look after this muscle properly.

Back