Struggling To Bat After Being Hit, Cannot Overcome The Fear And Hit Shots Again

What should I do?

• Keep at it and the fear will pass?

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Pad right up and just swing and overcome

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
I was batting in the nets and inside edged one into my leg off roughly a 125 km ball, sice then my batting has fallen apart. I struggle to hit the shots I was best at. Im struggling to hit any shots, I have a fear of the ball and can't seem to overcome it ? I've tried batting to see if it would pass but it's getting worse, i think I'm doing to much with me feet to try and get away from the ball, and i can't stop it. The covers
Is really struggling. The more I consentrate the worse I get. How do I overcome this? Has anyone had the same problem? :/ it's really getting to me. P.s I'm 15 and left handed. Thanks :)

It's a problematic issue. The more scared you are of the ball, the less likely you are to get your head in line, the more like you are to miss it with the bat, the more like you are to get hit.

You just have to man up and reverse the cycle, make yourself get your head in line. If necessary wear more protective equipment and face a lower bowling speed. 125kph probably unnecessarily quick to be facing as a 15 year old. Was this off a bowling machine? Coaching guidelines suggest you shouldn't really ever go above 110-115kph, at that point the risks of serious injury double and the usefulness of the exercise decreases.

Hi Mitchell... and welcome!

Firstly, let me say, this is extremely common and totally understandable. It can happen to anybody at any level. Whatever you do, you need to stop beating yourself up about it.

I don't actually believe that either of the options you gave above are the right one for you. The best thing to do is take a step back. This maybe difficult depending on what level you are playing but you cannot continue; hoping that the fear will go away. Of course, it is possible but you would have to be fearless and have total mental toughness. In which case, you would probably not have this problem!

Confidence is a very tricky animal and once lost, can be difficult to regain. The more you understand this, the easier it gets!

You need to go back to underarm tosses to get your form back. The sooner you do this, the easier it will be. When you are happy that you can do this move up to overarm throws and then progress to slower balls before exposing yourself to the pace you are used to.

Take time to appreciate that this is an extremely valid issue and you should be back to your usual self in no time.

Thankyou to both of you, sla : no this wasn't against a bowling machine is was against my 24 year old coach who lets them go at a pretty quick pace. As he is a state player for nsw. And I will try to get my head back over the ball, my friend said to in the nets yesterday your bat face isn't straight when your hitting these. ( missing ) drives. Would this be a problem that would occur from not getting your head over the ball? And any suggestions as to whys footwork has changed and I can't seem to stop it ? :) thankyou for your response,
Liz ward: thankyou for your response. I will try that when I'm in the nets tomorrow. :) I hope it works, it's really getting to me. As the last 2 matches I haven't batted because of this and I usually bat 1st drop.

...my friend said to in the nets yesterday your bat face isn't straight when your hitting these. ( missing ) drives. Would this be a problem that would occur from not getting your head over the ball?

I suspect you are, subconsciously, protecting your legs. I also believe you are 'thinking' too much. You need to relax and trust yourself. After all, you've done this before, many times, without injury. Your action is well grooved; take the mind out of the equation and allow your body to do what it does best.

See how it goes in the nets but don't get impatient with yourself. If it doesn't work straight away, take it back one further step... practise your shot without a ball. Try it in front of the mirror so you can see what you are doing.

Your groove has just gone a little wonky... it will straighten out... just give yourself a little time and your Mojo will be back before you know it.

If your coach bowls at you at these speeds in the nets, I would go into "survival mode". This is about judgement, don't play at anything off the stumps - let it go. If it's straight, block it with the full face of the bat and make sure you are well balanced in the defensive stroke - are you connecting with the middle of the bat with head in line? If you can do this for a while without getting out the confidence and self-belief will return and you can look to be more positive. I would also invest in a decent set of pads.

a have v900 left hand pads and all expensive gear, the problem is a few weeks ago i could play all the shots fine, except the cut against him at the same pace. ever since he hit me i have lost my shots, footwork and struggling to get my headover it, the cover drive was one of my better shots and the pull. and the pull has a big risk of being hit if you miss, i dont think when the bowls coming in this is gonna hit me, but i am frustrated with my batting,i am yet to try the other answers above and im hoping they work.

I used to be an Ice Hockey Goalie, and a Catcher in Baseball... and every now and again I'd get hit with a ball, or a puck that would hurt so much it affected my mindset...

As a hitter I used to use heavy tennis balls and at a moderate speed have them thrown at me until my mindset was back to normal... it hurts yes... but if you are keen to carry on, it is going to take a lot of physical work to get you comfortable enough as a hitter...

So basically work your way back up with a soft ball, then go to a heavier ball and progress until you are back to a cricket ball...

Good Luck... A couple more cracks and it'll be old hat for you lol

I was batting in the nets and inside edged one into my leg off roughly a 125 km ball, sice then my batting has fallen apart. I struggle to hit the shots I was best at. Im struggling to hit any shots, I have a fear of the ball and can't seem to overcome it ? I've tried batting to see if it would pass but it's getting worse, i think I'm doing to much with me feet to try and get away from the ball, and i can't stop it. The covers
Is really struggling. The more I consentrate the worse I get. How do I overcome this? Has anyone had the same problem? :/ it's really getting to me. P.s I'm 15 and left handed. Thanks :)

I know how you feel. When i was 19 i got hit in my face in barbados while playing the Sir Garfield Sobers tournament for my country and i spent the entire day at the hospital. I never used to wear helmet and the pitch was wet so the ball popped up off of a good drivable length so i couldnt get away. The day after next I played again with a swollen face and i was actually backing away from the ball. that just lasted for a while because of the fear of the same thing happening again. It eventually passed with a few games, so my advice to you is not to think about it just bat and it would pass.

A few people have touched on it already, but I recommend you go back to the nets and face a lot of throw-downs with leather balls. Like, A LOT of throw-downs. Practice playing forward to them, playing off the back foot, leaving them, and maybe (later down the track) let one or two balls hit you. Unfortunately, it's impossible to say that you'll never get hit on the body again, but what you can do is get comfortably used to feeling ball on bat again. It'll take longer for some people than others, especially for someone your age, but be patient, diligent and committed and you'll be good.

Technique that we have used with young guys that this has happened to in the past is doing a lot of work with red tennis balls... full, short... whatever you can get thrown at you. The idea is once or twice you get hit by the tennis ball and realise the tennis ball isn't really hurting you at all. the psyche moves across to facing the leather balls. Have seen this work with good results on more than one occasion. Good luck Mitch!

I think you should try throwdowns in the net first. Then keep increasing the speed of the throwdowns. Get your confidence back, and then try facing fast bowlers. Wear all the protectiive equipment to feel safe and be confident. I know i am not a person to give advice, but the greatest thing that helped me is to keep your eye on the ball. when the bowlers starts runnning in, lock the ball as your target, and it'll be easier.

Back