Stud configurations

Re: Stud configurations

The levels of grip v's foot rotation is important to the likes of you and me as we're wrist spinners. If you train in trainers and play in spikes you'll probably notice the difference. But if you ever wear trainers and bowl on wet grass or anywhere slippery you'll soon see how essential it is to have grip. In fact I'm writing now just an hour or so before I go to nets where I've been wearing an old pair of Adidas Sambas, the rubber compound that they're made of is designed for grass or astro turf I think and they're not that good on smooth concrete as they're quite slippery (The grip on mine has worn out too) so I thought last night I'd try my 'Vans' http://www.bayareakicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/vans-vault-eco-authentic-black-fuschia.jpg which are a 1970's skateboarder design plimsoll based on tennis shoes, but they've got a rubber compound which virtually sticks to smooth concrete (You might be aware of them because they're suddenly fashionable and evey t**t is wearing them - whereas if you'd have suggested that they did so 3 years ago they'd have laughed in your face at the prospect) and therefore are going to be potentially better for my bowing? I'll see tonight.

But there is an optimium level of give V's grip as you rotate around your pivoting foot and this becomes vary apparent when you can't grip and you lose the ability to spin the ball and it becomes dangerous. Last year on my practice wicket Wrist Spin Bowling: Last sunny warm day of Autumn? the surface was very broken up and loose and wearing the Adidas trainers (No spikes) I put so much effort into bowling that instead of the foot staying in place it just came away in the loose earth and I piled into the ground fingers first and dislocated my little finger on my bowling hand.

So grip and spikes is something to think about.

Re: Stud configurations

Clarrie Grimmett used wood screws with the heads hacksawed off as cricket boot studs! He cooked them first in a jam tin on a fire than dipped them in oil or water to temper them. Then he says he formed slots in the ends, I dont know how, and adjusted the length to suit conditions.

Back