Subbies 2011/12

who's quicker in your opinion harwood or lewis full steam???

inness speakman sheedy clemson r.smith murdoch......not a bad line up!!!

Are Damiano and Cross playing this year. Also heard couple of young poms. England U19 to Malvern and Brighton a county seconds player. Caulfield still favourite in the South. Expect Brighton and Ormond to be the improvers. Elsternwick got a couple of handy returns in ex captain and ex opening bowler.

who's quicker in your opinion harwood or lewis full steam???

inness speakman sheedy clemson r.smith murdoch......not a bad line up!!!

Hope Inness is doing his sports science stuff at the cricket club as well as the football club, because that list of "experienced" cricketers is a physiotherapist's superannuation fund!

Only 8 days until round 1; but I think it is very likely again that Rd 1 will be shortened to a one-dayer on the 2nd Saturday. Not sure if enough grounds will be ready across the 4 groups?

Thought I'd put together a bit of a preview of the South Group, from what I have heard/read around the traps.

Malvern: New coach Peter Bedford, and they have signed an English U/19 Cricketer. From what I have heard their numbers to training haven't been fantastic yet, but I think that could be the case across a number of clubs. Lots of decent young players, Dunne, Nethersole, Hale etc. Not sure if Chard, Perera and Ranga are still playing?

Elsternwick: Have put together a couple of decent seasons over the last 2-3 years. Solid bowling line-up with O'Neill et al.and a couple of decent bats. Apparently Rohan O'Neill is back at the helm, but haven't heard much else. Not sure of the state of Elsternwick Park after Football Season, horrible joint.

Caulfield: Lost King to Premier Cricket as well as Thomas (presumably to retirement). Still have some class players however, lead by Damiano who allegedly turned down huge $$ from rival clubs. Bartlett, Warren, Pritchard and Richardson I assume are all playing again. Have relied on bringing experienced players in rather than junior development, so it'll be interesting to see how they go/ whether they blood some younger guys. Batting will be strong, not sure about their attack

Kingston: New captain/coach in Entwistle but have lost 2 Poms and 2 lads from PNG who were all decent cricketers. That's surely a big chunk out of any side, particularly one which has struggled over the past few seasons. Not sure how they'll go. Some massive trips out to the West Group too. Melton is a long way from Parkdale.

Ormond: Have clearly become tired of their recent mediocrity and signed some handy cricketers. Christie as coach, Wight as a batsman from the Roosters and apparently a few others. They still have Hansen who is a class act. A lot will depend on their young players who will need to fill in the gaps around the aforementioned recruits. Not sure if their bowling will be strong enough?

Moorabbin: Have retained Pradeep, but I think they will struggle again in 12/13. Really don't know much about them at all, but their depth across the 4 XIs recently has been pretty poor. Great conditions at Moorabbin though, one of the better surfaces going around.

Brighton: Have recruited well, picking up Manser, Crawley (Camberwell) and Whatham (NSW). Pete Manser coming straight from Premier 1s should be in for a dominant year. Batting might again be an issue, but the attack of Harrod, Manser, Crawley and spinners should be as good as any.

Lets try and get profiles going for the other groups.

Just heard a scurrilous rumor (aren't they all) that Brendan Drew has agreed to play T20 with a top Subbies side in the West, C'mon. PB, you are usually all over these sorts of stories, what have you got?

Just like the old song S&W,I've got plenty of nuthin' on this one but I could have a lucky guess.
I will try and eavesdrop tomorrow at the forum night although as you probably know I'm not a huge fan of the format so I couldnt give the old rats tossbag who was playing!
Now we look like like playing will get the preview up by Friday,stay tuned

Only 8 days until round 1; but I think it is very likely again that Rd 1 will be shortened to a one-dayer on the 2nd Saturday. Not sure if enough grounds will be ready across the 4 groups?

Thought I'd put together a bit of a preview of the South Group, from what I have heard/read around the traps.

Malvern: New coach Peter Bedford, and they have signed an English U/19 Cricketer. From what I have heard their numbers to training haven't been fantastic yet, but I think that could be the case across a number of clubs. Lots of decent young players, Dunne, Nethersole, Hale etc. Not sure if Chard, Perera and Ranga are still playing?

Elsternwick: Have put together a couple of decent seasons over the last 2-3 years. Solid bowling line-up with O'Neill et al.and a couple of decent bats. Apparently Rohan O'Neill is back at the helm, but haven't heard much else. Not sure of the state of Elsternwick Park after Football Season, horrible joint.

Caulfield: Lost King to Premier Cricket as well as Thomas (presumably to retirement). Still have some class players however, lead by Damiano who allegedly turned down huge $$ from rival clubs. Bartlett, Warren, Pritchard and Richardson I assume are all playing again. Have relied on bringing experienced players in rather than junior development, so it'll be interesting to see how they go/ whether they blood some younger guys. Batting will be strong, not sure about their attack

Kingston: New captain/coach in Entwistle but have lost 2 Poms and 2 lads from PNG who were all decent cricketers. That's surely a big chunk out of any side, particularly one which has struggled over the past few seasons. Not sure how they'll go. Some massive trips out to the West Group too. Melton is a long way from Parkdale.

Ormond: Have clearly become tired of their recent mediocrity and signed some handy cricketers. Christie as coach, Wight as a batsman from the Roosters and apparently a few others. They still have Hansen who is a class act. A lot will depend on their young players who will need to fill in the gaps around the aforementioned recruits. Not sure if their bowling will be strong enough?

Moorabbin: Have retained Pradeep, but I think they will struggle again in 12/13. Really don't know much about them at all, but their depth across the 4 XIs recently has been pretty poor. Great conditions at Moorabbin though, one of the better surfaces going around.

Brighton: Have recruited well, picking up Manser, Crawley (Camberwell) and Whatham (NSW). Pete Manser coming straight from Premier 1s should be in for a dominant year. Batting might again be an issue, but the attack of Harrod, Manser, Crawley and spinners should be as good as any.

Lets try and get profiles going for the other groups.
In relation to the Saints, Dale has returned this year and our other Pom has been replaced with another, with new one considered a better player. The Vanuatu boys are on a par with PNG boys.

FYI, Melton is a long way from anywhere! Good draw for us, with Broady playing away all year, only have to go over the bridge twice.

Time for some tips for revised Round 1 one dayers;
Wtown v Altona-back to Pt Gellibrand for the first time in a couple of years,Innes a huge in for the Seagulls who might have the edge over the visitors who are without their stalwarts,Collins,McFarlane, etc.
Elsternwick v Brighton-probably the pick of the other games,both look a fair bit stronger however Manser could be the diff,straight out of premier and a quality player,Brighton just.
Ormond v Malvern-Roosters should be too good even without a few of their old stagers,Ormond on the right track though,should go better than recent years although that wouldnt be hard.
Melton v RPB-a baptism of fire for the new combine,interesting to see how their Sri Lankan goes,big wraps on Melton's kiwi,should be easy work for the reigning premiers.
Sunshine v Werribee-both teams look pretty much unchanged from last year,will opt for the visitors with no confidence.
Caulfield v Kingston Sts-Not sure of Caulfields bowling depth without King and Thomas but their batting will get them home comfortably against a new look Saints side[sorry SS]
Yarraville v Moorabbin-absolutely no idea,Harrison big in for Yarra and that could be the diff,hope the 2 Anglo Saxons in Moorabbins side can speak Sinhalese,never seen a side so dominated by internationals!
Cant wait for tomorrow,lets hear everyone elses thoughts boys

Wtown v Altona-back to Pt Gellibrand for the first time in a couple of years,Innes a huge in for the Seagulls who might have the edge over the visitors who are without their stalwarts,Collins,McFarlane, etc.
Elsternwick v Brighton-probably the pick of the other games,both look a fair bit stronger however Manser could be the diff,straight out of premier and a quality player,Brighton just.
Ormond v Malvern-Roosters should be too good even without a few of their old stagers,Ormond on the right track though,should go better than recent years although that wouldnt be hard.
Melton v RPB-a baptism of fire for the new combine,interesting to see how their Sri Lankan goes,big wraps on Melton's kiwi,should be easy work for the reigning premiers.
Sunshine v Werribee-both teams look pretty much unchanged from last year,will opt for the visitors with no confidence.
Caulfield v Kingston Sts-Not sure of Caulfields bowling depth without King and Thomas but their batting will get them home comfortably against a new look Saints side[sorry SS]
Yarraville v Moorabbin-absolutely no idea,Harrison big in for Yarra and that could be the diff,hope the 2 Anglo Saxons in Moorabbins side can speak Sinhalese,never seen a side so dominated by internationals!
I'll give my differences to PB:
Ormond v Malvern: I think Ormond look a lot better, Malvern's already fragile batting looks a lot weaker now, going with the Monders;
Caulfied v Kingston: I think we will be stronger than last year, that said, another batsman would be nice. Confident of an upset!

Just on Werribee PB it pains me to say it but I think they could be a real bolter this season. They have picked up Tim O'Brien from premier cricket who will be more than handy, Jake Purton returns after a season off (played virtually the whole season in Footscray's 2's , 2 years ago) and when he recovers from injury they'll get Matthew Dean also. You mix that together with Shaun Dean and Wolfey on his day and I reckon that they could be a dangerous side to come up against.

Back