Subbies 2011/12

Maybe time to get rid of the toss. Watched 3 games today where the side batting were visiting and had no chance of winning. How about visiting team gets to decide week 1 and this would ensure optimum pitch and ground preparation week 2.
That's a bit harsh mate. In my neck of the woods the majority of the pitches were covered last Thursday evening but had to remain so for some or all of Friday due to adverse weather.
Have you looked at this season's Premier Cricket fixture? If the greatly increased number of T20's now played in it for pennant points is the trend, uneven conditions due to the outcome of the toss becomes much less of an issue. Be interested to know what members think of this trend; do they want the subbies fixture to more closely mirror the Premier Cricket one or stick with what we have?

Yeah it is hard to see Caulfield and Melton not finishing 1 and 2. Melton V Ormond will be one to keep an eye on, Ormond are second but havent really smashed any sides and havent really played anyone of note except Caulfield and they lost that game, thats not to take anything away from them them though as they have obviously improved, I still expect Melton to belt them though.
For those teams on 2 wins, with 8 rounds to Christmas, D-Day is the next 3 weeks. If you're not 4-4 at Christmas, it will take a Herculean effort to get in.

The Subbies Rep side has been selected to play the annual VCCL side - the team was picked from the '2011/12 Team of the Year' then added to if any unavailabilities. I think this is the strongest side in recent memory and hopefully puts up a better effort than some of the results from the past few years.

Date & Venue:
Date: Sunday 9th December 2012
Time: 10.30 am (Arrive 9.30 am)
Venue: Stoddart Oval, Traralgon (Cnr Grubb Ave & Douglas Pde - Vic Roads Map 696 D4)

The VSDCA Team:
Michael ALLEN (Capt) - Melton
Aaron MAYNARD - Altona
Peter CROSS - Caulfield
Ricky DAMIANO (Wk) - Caulfield
Jarrod TRAVAGLIA - Oakleigh
Francis GILL - Kew
Brendan BARRY - Preston
Issy PERERA - Noble Park
Brendan MCGUINNESS - Oakleigh
Aaron SHELLIE - Coburg
Susantha PRADEEP - Moorabbin
Ben PINWILL - Oakleigh

Coach / Manager: Duncan HARRSION - Melton
Scorer: Gerry CAMERON - Noble Park

Scores from Legends & Heroes T20 Round 3 action:

Ivanhoe 5/188 (Powick 62) def Yarraville 9/157
Melton 2/44 def Altona 43
Werribee 5/84 def Williamstown 9/83
Sunshine v Roxburgh Park Broadmeadows
Coburg 8/156 def Balwyn 137
Brunswick 3/129 (Barker 106 no) def Preston 6/128 (Monteleone 61)
Plenty Valley 2/185 (Bennett 63, Hunter 70 no) def Kew 9/118
Croydon 2/107 def Ormond 5/106
Bayswater v Box Hill
Oakleigh 8/206 (McGuiness 74 no, Schlittler 66, Dowling 46) def Mt Waverley 69 (Warren 3/15)
Noble Park 8/126 def Endeavour Hills 70
Malvern 3/135 def Moorabbin 8/134
Elsternwick 4/141 (Christiansen 41, Adams 40 no) def Caulfield 6/140 (Cross 40, Gianakis 3/21)
Brighton v Kingston Saints

Anyone able to enlighten us with the missing scores? Super Saint?

Bayswater v Box Hill
Oakleigh 8/206 (McGuiness 74 no, Schlittler 66, Dowling 46) def Mt Waverley 69 (Warren 3/15)
Elsternwick 4/141 (Christiansen 41, Adams 40 no) def Caulfield 6/140 (Cross 40, Gianakis 3/21)

Anyone able to enlighten us wiht the missing scores? Super Saint?
No sure of our score, however, needless to say when I left windy and cold Brighton, we were batting first and were around 6/50 and struggling.

I must say, the Brighton bowling attack looked good, 2 younger guys opened and had some pace! Anyone enlighten me as to who they are?

There is a lot of whinging going on by my mates at Footscray Edgewater on the large number of t20 matches in Premier now counting for pennant points. They say it was foisted on them and they don't like it counting for so many points. But, like me, they are yesterday's men. Shaun Graf maintains a lot of kids these days are turned off cricket because of the 6 hrs plus on -field requirement. Without doubt there is now the greatest divergence between the Premier and subbies approach to the emphasis on t20 we have yet seen. A lot of you guys are still playing, so I would value your thoughts on whether there should be a greater emphasis on t20 and, whether it should be incorporated into the fixture to the extent Premier has done, or be a separate comp.

There is a lot of whinging going on by my mates at Footscray Edgewater on the large number of t20 matches in Premier now counting for pennant points. They say it was foisted on them and they don't like it counting for so many points. But, like me, they are yesterday's men. Shaun Graf maintains a lot of kids these days are turned off cricket because of the 6 hrs plus on -field requirement. Without doubt there is now the greatest divergence between the Premier and subbies approach to the emphasis on t20 we have yet seen. A lot of you guys are still playing, so I would value your thoughts on whether there should be a greater emphasis on t20 and, whether it should be incorporated into the fixture to the extent Premier has done, or be a separate comp.
Westy, I'm still playing, but I'm just about yesterday's man. Personally, I don't like T20 and I would think a lot of the 1st XI cricteres in subbies aren't too keen on it. But Graffy is right, kids and lower grade cricketers are not happy to give up 6 hours a day. We had 3 guys, who could play 1st XI cricket, play in our 3's in the T20 round as a 'once off'. The issue we have is that Premier have a far larger fixture compared with Subbies. T20 cricket would come at a one and two day cost. Not enthused!

Big week of cricket ahead. Our boys are looking to bounce back after a poor showing against SS's side. Caulfield are going to be a huge test but with Hodges and Speakman back from injury we go in with the strongest side possible.

The Subbies Rep side has been selected to play the annual VCCL side - the team was picked from the '2011/12 Team of the Year' then added to if any unavailabilities. I think this is the strongest side in recent memory and hopefully puts up a better effort than some of the results from the past few years.

Date & Venue:
Date: Sunday 9th December 2012
Time: 10.30 am (Arrive 9.30 am)
Venue: Stoddart Oval, Traralgon (Cnr Grubb Ave & Douglas Pde - Vic Roads Map 696 D4)

The VSDCA Team:
Michael ALLEN (Capt) - Melton
Aaron MAYNARD - Altona
Peter CROSS - Caulfield
Ricky DAMIANO (Wk) - Caulfield
Jarrod TRAVAGLIA - Oakleigh
Francis GILL - Kew
Brendan BARRY - Preston
Issy PERERA - Noble Park
Brendan MCGUINNESS - Oakleigh
Aaron SHELLIE - Coburg
Susantha PRADEEP - Moorabbin
Ben PINWILL - Oakleigh

Coach / Manager: Duncan HARRSION - Melton
Scorer: Gerry CAMERON - Noble Park

That is a serious side with some serious batting depth, however we say that most years and get smacked, hopefully the side can get a win this year.

My tips for what they're worth:

Williamstown v Caulfield: Never tip against Caulfield
Elsternwick v Sunshine: Crows have been competitive without getting over the line, however, think Wicks have a bit too much depth
Ormond v Melton: Big test for the Monders, will see how strong their batting is, Melton for me
Yarraville v Kingston Saints: Good win by us last week, however, will miss the Vanuatuan. Wis due for a big one
Altona v Werribee: Tigers going well, A's struggling, Werribee
Brighton v RPB: RPB going OK, but will miss their Vanuatuans as well. Brighton for me
Moorabbib v Malvern: Roosters have come good, but I'll tip the Binners at home in a bit of an upset.

All the best boys, stay cool!

Elsternwick v Sunshine: Crows have been competitive without getting over the line, however, think Wicks have a bit too much depth
Ormond v Melton: Big test for the Monders, will see how strong their batting is, Melton for me
Yarraville v Kingston Saints: Good win by us last week, however, will miss the Vanuatuan. Wis due for a big one
Brighton v RPB: RPB going OK, but will miss their Vanuatuans as well. Brighton for me
Moorabbib v Malvern: Roosters have come good, but I'll tip the Binners at home in a bit of an upset.

Yeah that sounds about right. Whats happened to he Vanuatuans?

Yeah that sounds about right. Whats happened to he Vanuatuans?
Cricket Vanuatu stuffed up the Visas, so they were out on a tourist one. Were going to go back before Christmas and come back in the new year. They are playing in the country championships and CV realised they needed to get their visas fixed, so recalled them back. When we asked when they would be back, "Some time in February". A real pity, they had some talent and were just getting comfortable at the club!

Bayswater v Box Hill

Anyone able to enlighten us with the missing scores? Super Saint?
I was advised we were bowled out for 77 and Brighton passed us 5 down.

Cricket Vanuatu stuffed up the Visas, so they were out on a tourist one. Were going to go back before Christmas and come back in the new year. They are playing in the country championships and CV realised they needed to get their visas fixed, so recalled them back. When we asked when they would be back, "Some time in February". A real pity, they had some talent and were just getting comfortable at the club!
Yeah thats disappointing for your club and more so for the boys.

Just going through your tips Super Saint and I agree with most of them over the season so far. Can i just ask, in regards to Caulfield, is there a reason why your now saying 'never tip against Caulfield' when you have tipped against them at least two times already this season, going off your previous posts?
Just wondering mate.

Just going through your tips Super Saint and I agree with most of them over the season so far. Can i just ask, in regards to Caulfield, is there a reason why your now saying 'never tip against Caulfield' when you have tipped against them at least two times already this season, going off your previous posts?
Just wondering mate.

I went down to the Subbies vs Vic Country game today in Traralgon and I watched the Subbies get beaten once more. As an avid Subbies cricket watcher, it is dissapointing to continually get beaten by the Vic Country side, who from my opinion weren't even that crash hot.
I was dissapointed by some of the players in the Subbies team. For starters Mick Allen, the captain of the team and from Melton, batted quite well, however his captaincy was below par. When having the Vic Country 9 down needing 30 runs a solid captain would have got the job done.
Damiano batted at 3 and didn't look to have the class required of a number 3. His technique has proven to be lacking against quality bowling in the past and today was no exception. Also his glovework was very shabby and I'm sure someone better could have filled the spot.
Cross made four opening the batting, which wasn't good enough in the circumstances and looked to be a little loose against some decent bowling.

So all in all it was a pretty poor effort from the Sub-District rep side. Making 130 with a supposed 'top quality batting line up'. I think some of those blokes think they are a little better than they are.

Cheers

Just wondering mate.
Backed us against them (never tip against your own team) and Melton. They just have too much batting depth.

I went down to the Subbies vs Vic Country game today in Traralgon and I watched the Subbies get beaten once more. As an avid Subbies cricket watcher, it is dissapointing to continually get beaten by the Vic Country side, who from my opinion weren't even that crash hot.
I was dissapointed by some of the players in the Subbies team. For starters Mick Allen, the captain of the team and from Melton, batted quite well, however his captaincy was below par. When having the Vic Country 9 down needing 30 runs a solid captain would have got the job done.
Damiano batted at 3 and didn't look to have the class required of a number 3. His technique has proven to be lacking against quality bowling in the past and today was no exception. Also his glovework was very shabby and I'm sure someone better could have filled the spot.
Cross made four opening the batting, which wasn't good enough in the circumstances and looked to be a little loose against some decent bowling.

So all in all it was a pretty poor effort from the Sub-District rep side. Making 130 with a supposed 'top quality batting line up'. I think some of those blokes think they are a little better than they are.

Cheers

Thanks Will for the report from Traralgon, while I share your frustration at the Subbies side again falling short, I stop short of individualising players for criticism.
Damiano has been a breath of fresh air in the comp, despite the fact a number of clubs have been on the receiving end of a match winning innings, his recent Premier stint where he top scored in a pressure cooker environment against Siddle and Pattinson would belie the opinion he struggles against quality.
However in saying that the fact an extemely strong VSDCA line up on paper failed to have more than one batsman score over 20 is a massive concern.
There was a suggestion the pitch was poor and the over all score would tend to support that account, if that is the case, this must be investigated and those responsible sanctioned. On the other hand in a one day match the conditions will be the same for each side, so play on.
A theory I have which may be seen as an excuse is the match being played at an extremely busy time of the year, and this year directly after a 38 degree day.
Perhaps the VSDCA executive and VCCL could look at scheduling the match in early/mid November when clubs are subject to losing a lot of players through school and Uni exam commitments and a mid-season break could be observed. This way all players could be at their best, and we would hopefully see a better standard than what has been delivered in recent seasons.
It would also reduce the workload on our top players and really incentivise seelction in a prestigious event.

Back