Subbies Thread

Latest edition of VTCA's Leading Edge newsletter provides info on recent discussions between the VSDCA and the VTCA on the CV Taskforce Review. Access via the ForClubs tag on the VTCA website.

Thanks Westland an interesting read. I take from the article that the CV model as it stands has no chance of acceptance. Equally some parts of the VTCA wishlist won't be adopted either. I guess some middle ground could be found, drop Premier 3s and 4s and replace them with regional umbrella clubs could work. But Subbies and VTCA merging has such a multitude of differences that would need to be ironed out that it too seems implausible. It all could end in status quo.

It would have to have promotion and relegation as that's one of the flaws in the subbies at the moment.

My point exactly, to merge each comp would have to give up certain things that they actually like about their comp. What I expect will end up happening is that there will be not-negotiables that each comp has that contradict which will end up being show stoppers. To merge, each comp will have to make sacrifices and I just don't see it happening. Been wrong before and will be wrong again so not saying it can't happen, just think it is highly unlikely.

IF the CV model doesn't get up it would make perfect sense to merge and have say 4 divisions of 12, with promotion and relegation. 2's 3's and 4's to play in their own region. Yes it would be a shit fight to work out who starts at the top, maybe the top 4 in both subbies competitions and the top 4 in the VTCA.

IF the CV model doesn't get up it would make perfect sense to merge and have say 4 divisions of 12, with promotion and relegation. 2's 3's and 4's to play in their own region. Yes it would be a shit fight to work out who starts at the top, maybe the top 4 in both subbies competitions and the top 4 in the VTCA.

Gee Scratch that looks suspiciously like the VTCA model expanded to cross town cricket for all First XI's, 4 day GF's I presume? Any part of the VSDCA model worth keeping?

Never said anything about the vtca model or finals. It was just my thoughts

All I am saying is that unless one of the merger parties is going out of existence, which isn't the case, then the two comps won't merge without some changes otherwise it's a takeover. Nothing particularly wrong with your suggestion except that it looks nothing like what Subbies does now so why would it be of interest?

So some clubs just sit down the bottom, collect their dividend and go no where
Is it just about the dividend? All I keep hearing is that it is going, it's going, it's going. So get over that. I'm pretty sure that in the last 10 years (probably less) every team except Sunshine, Moorabbin and Croydon has played finals in the First XI, so 25 of 28 teams. And those teams haven't always been uncompetitive over that time. Doesn't sound like a system where teams sit down the bottom. Promotion and relegation is overrated.

The CV model would be somewhat enticing for the leagues if there was a promotion opportunity into premier cricket.

That would be a win for all parties and ensure clubs at premier level do their best not to languish at the bottom.

But I think all leagues should stay the same and there should be a carnival of cricket in cricket preseason where different leagues play each other, like what the suburban footy leagues do at Princes Park prior to season start.

The CV model would be somewhat enticing for the leagues if there was a promotion opportunity into premier cricket.

That would be a win for all parties and ensure clubs at premier level do their best not to languish at the bottom.

But I think all leagues should stay the same and there should be a carnival of cricket in cricket preseason where different leagues play each other, like what the suburban footy leagues do at Princes Park prior to season start.

The trouble with a pre-season carnival is that Melbourne's climate may seldom permit pitch preparation, and particularly if the venues have been used for football. Also, at that time of year much attention is focussed on the AFL Finals. I hope a future edition of Leading Edge will inform rank and file VTCA members of the outcome of ongoing discussions between the two comps as this will also allow us to also find out what is going on !!!

Just back to the Hatch Competition quickly, I agree with a few of the blokes on here that mentioned it is still relevant. Hatch is a huge things for clubs and for players. It gives kids who might play park cricket at best to play on the best decks and grounds outside of premier cricket. To watch the looks on the kids faces as they run out onto Burbank Oval or Chirnside Park is fantastic. It always gives them a chance to play rep cricket and proper rep cricket if they aren't good enough to make the CV Pathways Comp. The VMCU at U/14 level is still played on synthetic and is still a mickey mouse comp. The Hatch is part of the pathway and should always be part of the pathway. Plus it is a relevant tool of recruitment for kids wishing to play a better standard of cricket. I am sure all VSDCA Club's have a player in their 1st XI who played Hatch with their club and if they don't then they should have a good hard look at themselves.

In terms of the CV model for cricket going forward I agree that the two comps (VTCA and VSDCA) are polls apart on how they like their competitions run and to suggest a merger is on the cards would be staggering from my point of view. Not sure why the system needs to be changed, only thing I would like to see changed is for Premier Cricket to go to 3 XI's rather than 4 as it dilutes the talent pool. If the 4th XI in premier cricket (mostly kids) went back into VSDCA and VTCA clubs and played 1st and 2nd XI cricket then they would develop quicker and it would make the two competitions far stronger and subsequently make Premier Cricket more relevant and more prestigious too. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can go and play Premier 4's at the moment and the standard of that comp would be a lower standard of cricket than the VSDCA 3rd's.

Brighton had 15 players from Hatch playing 1's and 2's last weekend. 5 ex Hatch players left this year to play Premier. Brighton takes Hatch pretty seriously and in finals for 4th time in 5 years. Local Breakers made U18CV GF with4 ex BCC Hatch players.

Brighton had 15 players from Hatch playing 1's and 2's last weekend. 5 ex Hatch players left this year to play Premier. Brighton takes Hatch pretty seriously and in finals for 4th time in 5 years. Local Breakers made U18CV GF with4 ex BCC Hatch players.

The only people on here knocking Hatch are VTCA people, Scratch, Southern Sledge, and Rat'n'bat. Don't be concerned, Hatch will stay as long as there isn't a merger which I doubt will happen. Even once the dividend goes, even though CV have removed it officially from the CV Pathway, it will stay for the exact reasons you outlined.

BTW well said Westland, VTCA made their thoughts on the CV proposal and their chat with VSDCA public but Subbies chose to keep it quiet. Think Subbies could be a bit more forthcoming.

Tips for Round 9:

Didn't do any tips for last round given the uncertainty of whether games would be played.

North / West:

Plenty Valley
v Sunshine
Williamstown v Brunswick
Melton
v Preston
Balwyn v Werribee
Ivanhoe
v Kew
Altona v Coburg
Yarraville v RPB

South / East:

Oakleigh v Caulfield
Elsternwick v Noble Park
Ormond
v Croydon
Bayswater v Kingston Saints
Box Hill v Mt Waverley
Brighton v Endeavour Hills
Moorabbin
v Malvern

Clearly the game of the round is Oakleigh v Caulfield, which should be a cracker. In the North / West, Yarraville - RPB should be a very close one.

Back