Subbies Thread

A life member of the Sunshine C C has today confirmed your understanding of the lack of communication with the curator (who is in his first year with the club and is in full-time employment at a local golf course, hence, has limited time to offer to curating). I have never met him and am unaware of his prior curating experience. He was in attendance at the ground in the normal course of curating for the weekend when the teams arrived, so I assume they were then fully informed by him of the club having failed to tell him of the altered date to that originally fixtured (and that he had not been told the weekend match was on Sunday). I am also advised no-one from the club was in attendance to open up the facilities.
What I am on about is not the dividend, per se, it is that if umpires are being paid to officiate at Country Week, club-appointed curators should also be paid for their work. Sure, their duties are different, but umpires and club-appointed curators are both summer-season only activities and equally vital to the well-being of our game. Cricket authorities have always turned a blind eye to this fact. Club-appointed curators can no more afford to give up their day job than can umpires. Look after them or lose them!!

Better curator then you!

This is a really good post and I think it cuts to the chase about the real issue in turf cricket. When Westland originally raised the issue of curators not being paid I frankly could not believe that could be possible. There is real paranoia about councils wanting to kill off turf grounds etc. I don't know how much is fact and how much is fiction. But, if Country Week expects any ground to be prepared without compensation to the curator then the finger needs to be pointed directly at CV and by extension CA. I believe this is a CA issue. CA want their pathway so CA needs to pay the price, keep turf wickets, and keep them up to scratch. It's all well and good to spout about junior pathways, premier, super leagues and diamonds in the bush but you have to put your money where your mouth is. I would say that it is more important for CV to fund quality turf wickets than it is to rationalise the comps. How far would $500K go to keeping wickets up to scratch? Some turf clubs don't even have covers that protect the entire table, are we still in Bradman days? Maybe the comp rationalisation and standard of care of turf wickets are intertwined and both need to be done conjunctionally by aligning councils with comps but if you do one without the other then the underlying issue still exists.

A very interesting post. I am sure the Yarraville CC would like some of the $500K to be spent in compensating it for the many thousands of dollars it has outlaid in replacing/repairing the antiquated pile of junk the local council handed over when, in 2004, it withdrew from curating for all clubs within its municipality. You will understand even reconditioned rollers and cylinder mowers are a big outlay for a cricket club. Although the club's curator is an employee of the municipality he, (like the curator at Sunshine), must curate outside of his Council hours and fully at the club's expense. As Yarraville has a separate curator for McIvor it incurs 2 lots of curating fees and, as the case at Sunshine, has 2 lots of equipment to maintain and fuel. Just thought you may be interested in what a subbies club must face on fully taking over responsibility for pitch preparation (and in future no dividend to allay the cost). I was told the other day Balwyn forks out $16K to its municipality for pitch preparation of its 2 grounds. It seems that, either way, fielding 4 teams on 2 grounds is not cheap.

Better curator then you!
He has to be a better club-appointed curator than I ever was as there is no way I would tackle what he is doing. That is, curating both Dempster and Lloyd outside of the hours demanded of his full-time job and all for a lousy $7K !! Dempster Park alone is worth that much. I am advised the club claims it cannot afford to pay more, yet has had how many English imports this year? Next, I suppose you will try to convince the curator they are all playing with the club for the love of the game. If he were to swallow that, he will be as gullible as you (and that's being kind to you I think).

He has to be a better club-appointed curator than I ever was as there is no way I would tackle what he is doing. That is, curating both Dempster and Lloyd outside of the hours demanded of his full-time job and all for a lousy $7K !! Dempster Park alone is worth that much. I am advised the club claims it cannot afford to pay more, yet has had how many English imports this year? Next, I suppose you will try to convince the curator they are all playing with the club for the love of the game. If he were to swallow that, he will be as gullible as you (and that's being kind to you I think).
At the Saints, we have been doing our decks for some time. It is a balance between getting good decks done and paying out a commensurate amount to do so.
It is fundamental to each club and the one thing that money needs to go into. No good whingeing about costs if you go out and pay a handfull.

The alternative is to go out and fundraise, something I know a lot of clubs DO NOT do. There are certainly ways to bring in extra funds, my experience, especially with the younger brigade, is they can't be bothered! Probably a reason why cricket struggles.

At the Saints, we have been doing our decks for some time. It is a balance between getting good decks done and paying out a commensurate amount to do so.
It is fundamental to each club and the one thing that money needs to go into. No good whingeing about costs if you go out and pay a handfull.

The alternative is to go out and fundraise, something I know a lot of clubs DO NOT do. There are certainly ways to bring in extra funds, my experience, especially with the younger brigade, is they can't be bothered! Probably a reason why cricket struggles.

Your club hosted 2 Country Week matches despite being reliant on a part-time curator. If the club adequately compensated the curator for the additional work, why, given none of your teams were involved in these matches? More likely, his experience was the same as mine over the years in that I was simply taken for granted, never being paid a cent yet, all the time being aware the umpires were being well paid by the organising authorities to officiate on Country Week pitches I had prepared for free. Never did I ask the clubs to compensate me, because never did I consider it was their responsibility incur the cost.

Your club hosted 2 Country Week matches despite being reliant on a part-time curator. If the club adequately compensated the curator for the additional work, why, given none of your teams were involved in these matches? More likely, his experience was the same as mine over the years in that I was simply taken for granted, never being paid a cent yet, all the time being aware the umpires were being well paid by the organising authorities to officiate on Country Week pitches I had prepared for free. Never did I ask the clubs to compensate me, because never did I consider it was their responsibility incur the cost.
Part of Subbies is hosting Country Week. We certainly ensure that we reimburse our curator for the work he does. We certainly never take it for granted.

Whilst I can't comment on council prepared pitches, at the Saints we certainly assist our curator: whether that be rolling pitches, watering or assisting in other ways. Unfortunately, I think that most cricketers think a prepared pitch is a right.

Part of Subbies is hosting Country Week. We certainly ensure that we reimburse our curator for the work he does. We certainly never take it for granted.

Whilst I can't comment on council prepared pitches, at the Saints we certainly assist our curator: whether that be rolling pitches, watering or assisting in other ways. Unfortunately, I think that most cricketers think a prepared pitch is a right.

I have today been told there is a serious rift involving the subbies and VCCL delegates to CV to the extent the delegates have walked out on discussions with CV. It is related to disagreement on the allocation of money. Given Phil O'Meara's connection with the Saints and he being a subbies delegate, I figured if anyone can throw more light on this it would be you. Have you heard about this matter?

I have today been told there is a serious rift involving the subbies and VCCL delegates to CV to the extent the delegates have walked out on discussions with CV. It is related to disagreement on the allocation of money. Given Phil O'Meara's connection with the Saints and he being a subbies delegate, I figured if anyone can throw more light on this it would be you. Have you heard about this matter?
Subbies & VCCL walked out?

I know CV weren't happy with Subbies questioning the set up and that's why Phil got the boot. Not sure of the above matter.

Have any of you saying CV will win the battle actually read the document? Fair to say there will need to be a lot of water go under the bridge before this proposal gets close to being ticked off. Looks like a Grade 6 assignment that is factually incorrect.

Subbies & VCCL walked out?

I know CV weren't happy with Subbies questioning the set up and that's why Phil got the boot. Not sure of the above matter.

Have any of you saying CV will win the battle actually read the document? Fair to say there will need to be a lot of water go under the bridge before this proposal gets close to being ticked off. Looks like a Grade 6 assignment that is factually incorrect.

Thanks SS. Couple of questions-- As Phil got the boot, who from the subbies has replaced him? Can I access the document online without becoming a HeraldSun subscriber and, if so, please advise the procedure? Pls don't bag me asking for help-- I am the only one of my fellow septuagenarian friends who has a pc/smartphone ( we are battlers and not the sharpest tools in the shed out here in the west!). BTW, I agree with your observation the younger generation do not have the level of committment to volunteerism and club loyalty of their predecessors. Local footy clubs have the same experience.

Thanks SS. Couple of questions-- As Phil got the boot, who from the subbies has replaced him? Can I access the document online without becoming a HeraldSun subscriber and, if so, please advise the procedure? Pls don't bag me asking for help-- I am the only one of my fellow septuagenarian friends who has a pc/smartphone ( we are battlers and not the sharpest tools in the shed out here in the west!). BTW, I agree with your observation the younger generation do not have the level of committment to volunteerism and club loyalty of their predecessors. Local footy clubs have the same experience.
No problems mate, sorry if it looked like I was having a go, certainly wasn't.

No one replaced Phil, it was more a case of CV not being happy with Subbies and getting rid of that element.

Not sure about the document, as I am on the committee, it was forwraded to us to give Subbies our thoughts. I am not sure if it is to be made fully public, I will find out.

Agree. Sounds like what subbies put to CV was subbies, so not sure there is an appetite for change at VSDCA level or club level. Therefore, you have to ask why change?

Because turf cricket is going backwards that's why and something has to happen, maybe 2 divisions would be better and keep it heathier

Back