Subbies Thread

It will be gratifying to the subbies executive to have the unanimous support of clubs. It should send a clear message to CV that the subbies ''is not for turning''. However, from the moment Super Saint posted that Phil O'Meara had been ''booted'' fr the panel and not replaced by another subbies person, I concluded CV had already decided the subbies was a lost cause insofar as being persuaded to accept the CV model. I noted the other day on the CV website under Latest News, New Metropolitan Turf Structure in Melbourne, the following:''A formal response and general position on the overall model will be submitted from each association by Monday, March, 23''. I suggest that, following receipt of these reports, the ball will then be firmly back in CV's court to reassess strategy.

It will be gratifying to the subbies executive to have the unanimous support of clubs. It should send a clear message to CV that the subbies ''is not for turning''. However, from the moment Super Saint posted that Phil O'Meara had been ''booted'' fr the panel and not replaced by another subbies person, I concluded CV had already decided the subbies was a lost cause insofar as being persuaded to accept the CV model. I noted the other day on the CV website under Latest News, New Metropolitan Turf Structure in Melbourne, the following:''A formal response and general position on the overall model will be submitted from each association by Monday, March, 23''. I suggest that, following receipt of these reports, the ball will then be firmly back in CV's court to reassess strategy.

At the moment the WDCA and the DDCA are in favour
Although the VTCA initially said they were against – they tempered that somewhat to say they were at "the direction of their clubs". The South clubs were almost unanimous in their approval – and from what I heard of the North meeting, there was a similar feeling, if not quite as overwhelming in favour.
No idea about the Eastern – but I reckon weight of numbers will bring them on board
CV will go ahead with this so I don’t think they need to reassess strategy too much – only dilemma being, how do they get the remaining clubs on board. Focus on the struggling VSDCA clubs, withhold grants, whatever it takes – but they will get it done

At the moment the WDCA and the DDCA are in favour
Although the VTCA initially said they were against – they tempered that somewhat to say they were at "the direction of their clubs". The South clubs were almost unanimous in their approval – and from what I heard of the North meeting, there was a similar feeling, if not quite as overwhelming in favour.
No idea about the Eastern – but I reckon weight of numbers will bring them on board
CV will go ahead with this so I don’t think they need to reassess strategy too much – only dilemma being, how do they get the remaining clubs on board. Focus on the struggling VSDCA clubs, withhold grants, whatever it takes – but they will get it done

Overheard a couple of ECA execs chatting as though it was a done deal so think they will in. Sunshine's President has been quoted "not leaving subbies, not going anywhere" so somehow doubt picking off "struggling clubs" is going to work. Sounds like it will go ahead without VSDCA, and so it should if that's what other comps want. But clearly subbies clubs have voted for status quo and I don't expect year 1 of the new model will include any subbies clubs.

If the proposed CV model goes ahead with Subbies, Subbies will provide an alternative to anyone not seeking to play in a regionalised comp and doesn't wish to play premier.

Provided the VSDCA clubs can manage themselves financially, I think both can co-exist.

If the proposed CV model goes ahead with Subbies, Subbies will provide an alternative to anyone not seeking to play in a regionalised comp and doesn't wish to play premier.

Provided the VSDCA clubs can manage themselves financially, I think both can co-exist.

So for those still wanting to drive all over Melbourne, but not wanting to play a standard as high as prem 1s or 2s? For the Dyed in the wool Subbies people I see that. But, what about my son. If I have a talented 15 year old son. Why would I want him to play at Caulfield rather than South Caulfield in the new world.

So for those still wanting to drive all over Melbourne, but not wanting to play a standard as high as prem 1s or 2s? For the Dyed in the wool Subbies people I see that. But, what about my son. If I have a talented 15 year old son. Why would I want him to play at Caulfield rather than South Caulfield in the new world.

Well why agree to a structure that has holes in it?

That's the pertinent question. If the VSDCA agreed the model made sense, it would agree to it.

Well why agree to a structure that has holes in it?

That's the pertinent question. If the VSDCA agreed the model made sense, it would agree to it.

That's one take on it, but the vast majority of people I speak to on the topic, believe it a) makes sense and b) is necessary for the betterment of cricket in Victoria.

My reading of the situation, is that the VSDCA/Clubs don't want to change. They like the comp (it is a good comp after all), and its niche position amongst other competitions across Melbourne and don't give a stuff about wider Victorian cricket in general, after all Premier Clubs are the feeders of the State sides.

The VSDCA tried to propose what was effectively its own model back to CV!! In the eyes of CV, the VSDCA is just another local turf competition that overlaps another 5 or so turf competitions that could otherwise be ironed out into a region based competition that reduces travel and easier alligned pathways.

I still haven't really seen these alleged "holes" in the structure that wouldn't otherwise be addressed through the next stage. It is afterall still very much in the conceptual stage.

That's one take on it, but the vast majority of people I speak to on the topic, believe it a) makes sense and b) is necessary for the betterment of cricket in Victoria.

My reading of the situation, is that the VSDCA/Clubs don't want to change. They like the comp (it is a good comp after all), and its niche position amongst other competitions across Melbourne and don't give a stuff about wider Victorian cricket in general, after all Premier Clubs are the feeders of the State sides.

The VSDCA tried to propose what was effectively its own model back to CV!! In the eyes of CV, the VSDCA is just another local turf competition that overlaps another 5 or so turf competitions that could otherwise be ironed out into a region based competition that reduces travel and easier alligned pathways.

I still haven't really seen these alleged "holes" in the structure that wouldn't otherwise be addressed through the next stage. It is afterall still very much in the conceptual stage.
"Hole" - Most subbies clubs would be shitting themselves that they wont be able to compete with the strong "non subbies" clubs, and thus would end up driffting down the grades to where they belong. Where as at the moment they are carried by the subbies concept.

"Hole" - Most subbies clubs would be shitting themselves that they wont be able to compete with the strong "non subbies" clubs, and thus would end up driffting down the grades to where they belong. Where as at the moment they are carried by the subbies concept.

Then why was EVERY subbies club rated as Tier 1? I didn't personally agree with every Subbies club being rated that high but they were. One or two might wobble down a grade but the rest would more than hold their own.

Then why was EVERY subbies club rated as Tier 1? I didn't personally agree with every Subbies club being rated that high but they were. One or two might wobble down a grade but the rest would more than hold their own.

I suspect that, that was an inducement. I personally think that is fine (no methodology will be perfect) and with a promotion and relegation system, immaterial.

Might be worthwhile acknowledging that the VSDCA did not propose their exact competition as an alternative, what they did propose made a lot of sense and was respectful to both the histories of the District and Sub-District competitions, while also allowing inclusion of all other turf clubs within the wider metropolitan area.
If the MMTCT had been a little more open minded they may have already achieved their end goals and objectives.

You didnt read what i said properly, and actualy you agree with me.

All subbies clubs would start in the top grade, then start their drift down, as they wont be able to match it with the best. Thus these clubs rely on being carried by the subbies comp to go out and say they play "subbies, which is a great standard". Yarraville Club (plus 2-3 others) would beat most, if not all subbies teams. Thus subbies dont play against the best.

Back