Subbies Thread

Nice work - more importantly, is he playing Friday?
Have heard here next week.
BRIGHTON V MALVERN will definitely go ahead. Playing at Malvern. Rushworth arrives next week and might want a run in the 2nds which is a 1 dayer. Probably more like
Nice work - more importantly, is he playing Friday?
No. Arrives next week. Might have to have a trundle in the seconds one dayer. Though imagine he will want to watch his new team.

Great day for cricket at Malvern. Solid performance by Brighton to get 200. White took 6/40 off heaps and will be a handfull this year. Game in the balance and will depend on conditions. Ground very fast but wicket keeping low . Brighton apparently looking forward to its 2 overseas players arriving next week. Looks like Werribee and Ormond setting the pace after day1 with Caulfield having a battle with Elsternwick. also looks like Hoppers off to a strong start in Subbies. Kingston had a disappointing debut in Premier.

Here are my predictions for the season, this time last year I picked Ormond to win the South / East.

These were done prior to play today:

North / East

Noble Park

Plenty Valley

Kew

Balwyn

Ivanhoe

Brunswick

Bayswater

RPB

Box Hill

Mount Waverley

Preston

Croydon

Endeavour Hills

Coburg

South / West

Caulfield

Brighton

Ormond

Oakleigh

Werribee

Altona

Malvern

Melton

Hoppers Crossing

Williamstown

Yarraville

Moorabbin

Elsternwick

Sunshine

Have heard here next week.
BRIGHTON V MALVERN will definitely go ahead. Playing at Malvern. Rushworth arrives next week and might want a run in the 2nds which is a 1 dayer. Probably more likeLy to watch his new team.

The bloke has bowled over 1,000 overs this county season, something tells me he might rather a week off rather than play subbies 2s..

We have got Mosun Hussain arriving next week from England. Only 18, current England U/19 player and Yorkshire Second XI, should be a very handy player at VSDCA level. I see Preston have a West Indian arriving in the next couple of weeks also. Good to see the Comp getting stronger and stronger each season.

Would certainly have Malvern in top 6. White, Alford and Bhatt backed by Gill, Jones , Robinson and Arborn is great depth. Jones and White are guns and have handy depth with proven performance at this level. WOuld think from South that Oakleigh, Malvern and Ormond certainties and the rest all solid and a chance. With KS gone and Oakleigh in and Moorabbin much stronger now no easy games.

Plenty valley looked strong as did Werribee. Johnstone is a handful on any wicket and is a massive boost for them. Batting always strong. Was good to see the action packed off season for moorabin paying off with a win, interesting to see if it says more about Melton or moorabin. Only time will tell. Brighton obviously short a bowler without rushworth, but Malvern with plenty of stocks did very well in the end, jones and wright clearly shouldering a bulk of the load. Great game seeing Balwyn just falling short. Otherwise solid round of cricket, a few surprises and a few familiar faces with plenty, oakleigh, Malvern, Ormond winning. Disregard sunshine they seem weak. Finally an interesting result with mount easily casting aside Bayswater. As has been mentioned, good cricket to be had this season. Only a taste

Rd 1 – South/West

Caulfield had a bit of a scare against Elsternwick, just getting over the line. They have a good talent in young Zach GP, guided them home. Moorabbin’s new look team had a good Rd 1 win – their first Rd 1 win in a long, long time!

Werribee and Ormond both established themselves early with huge wins. Mick Jones started with a great knock, Rushworth will be great to see in action against the Binners. Great to see Hoppers open their Subbies account, Altona slipping up but I’d say they’d be on the winners board more often than not.

We’ve harped on about it, but I’m salivating as some of the match-ups in South West.

North/East

A couple of surprises in Rd 1 – was great to see Mounts and the Hills get wins after interesting off-seasons with player departures. Wins against potential finalists Box Hill and Baysy were good results.

Brunswick just held on against Balwyn, an important win given Balwyn should go deep this season. Kew look to be team to beat in North/East this season, racking up 300+ and defending comfortably against Coburg.

Mt Waverley vs Balwyn
Brunswick
vs RPB
Preston vs Plenty Valley
Noble Park
vs Croydon
Endeavour Hills vs Bayswater
Kew
vs Box Hill
Coburg vs Ivanhoe

Werribee vs Williamstown
Oakleigh vs Elsternwick