Subbies Thread

Great post. Presumably Warren has reverted to amateur status to allow his great mate and the new Captain to play as the 2 professionals. Does not really matter as it makes the competition stronger. Good point about Junior development. Some clubs have minimal interest.

Top-liners joining the competition may enhance the STATUS of the competition, but not necessarily benefit the competition as a whole, for it further entrenches the widening gap between the ''haves'' and the ''have not's''. In a competition that does not have the numbers to permit a viable promotion/relegation system that issue needs to be addressed--now. Do the subbies wish to become a boutique comp confined to clubs with coin? Maybe that is the market at which the executive are aiming. In what direction does the executive see the competition (as distinct from individual clubs within), heading?

Does anyone know if the subbies have changed their professional player rules? It looks like some clubs might have found a loophole and are paying coaches (who also play in the 1st XI) but then are also paying two players.

You can rely on B&G OCC being correct on anything to do with the subbies rules/bylaws. The actual scenario is very well put by Massive Hoop in his post 2140 (the final one on p107). The genie is well and truly out of the bottle in respect to player payments.

Have the same conversation every year about this.

It is what it is.
And Rod Bird plays for the fun of it...

And before someone jumps up and says "but all clubs are doing it", yes, most of them are...

Agree on all fronts. I would suggest that a majority of clubs pay/help outside of the rules. However, the bigger or more presitigious clubs like Ormond, PV, Malvern, Brighton are able to attract higher end talent than some of the lesser achieving or smaller clubs. Generally as a result of club history/success and, ofcourse, the clubs vault.

Agree on all fronts. I would suggest that a majority of clubs pay/help outside of the rules. However, the bigger or more presitigious clubs like Ormond, PV, Malvern, Brighton are able to attract higher end talent than some of the lesser achieving or smaller clubs. Generally as a result of club history/success and, ofcourse, the clubs vault.
Interesting. Not that long ago, Ormond were an ordinary club. No doubt the appointment of Dale Christie as coach has improved them considerably, but money improved their playing list.

Interesting. Not that long ago, Ormond were an ordinary club. No doubt the appointment of Dale Christie as coach has improved them considerably, but money improved their playing list.

YWL has correctly pointed out we have the same conversation every year about this. The reason, of course, is the concern the existing player payment provisions do nothing to provide a level playing field. A dismissive approach to such a serious issue is not acceptable. Did the matter come up for discussion at last night's meeting?

YWL has correctly pointed out we have the same conversation every year about this. The reason, of course, is the concern the existing player payment provisions do nothing to provide a level playing field. A dismissive approach to such a serious issue is not acceptable. Did the matter come up for discussion at last night's meeting?

I agree, "it is what it is" is basically accepting that the rule is not policed. So, to be frank, why bother having it? What if there are clubs out there that actually believe in the rule and actually comply? This may partly explain the "EPL" style results of perennial powerhouses and perennial cellar dwellers. Also of concern is those that cannot afford to willingly breach the rules are significantly disadvantaged yet a blind eye is turned? I hate to keep harping on Ormond but when they won in 14/15, they would have had to shed at least 4 of their ex-Premier players to field their team in VTCA Senior Division that year. Since then, they have lost Wight and added Harrison and Schlittler, WTF??? I remain firmly in favour of the points system as what is in place at the moment does not work.

I agree, "it is what it is" is basically accepting that the rule is not policed. So, to be frank, why bother having it? What if there are clubs out there that actually believe in the rule and actually comply? This may partly explain the "EPL" style results of perennial powerhouses and perennial cellar dwellers. Also of concern is those that cannot afford to willingly breach the rules are significantly disadvantaged yet a blind eye is turned? I hate to keep harping on Ormond but when they won in 14/15, they would have had to shed at least 4 of their ex-Premier players to field their team in VTCA Senior Division that year. Since then, they have lost Wight and added Harrison and Schlittler, WTF??? I remain firmly in favour of the points system as what is in place at the moment does not work.

Conversely, one only has to look at Melton's performances after its coin ran out.

Mitch Johnstone appointed captain coach of Coburg CC
Interesting a few people on here were certain he'd end up back at RPB
Think the re-appointments at RPB might have had a bit to do with the prevention of that but I stand to be corrected. The Coburg media release doesn't do Johnstone's reputation as an individual across the league many favours...

Think the re-appointments at RPB might have had a bit to do with the prevention of that but I stand to be corrected. The Coburg media release doesn't do Johnstone's reputation as an individual across the league many favours...
Pretty sure he wouldn't write his own press release so not sure he can control communications from the club.

Interesting that he stayed in Subbies considering his stated aim of going to Premier Cricket.

Pretty sure he wouldn't write his own press release so not sure he can control communications from the club.

Interesting that he stayed in Subbies considering his stated aim of going to Premier Cricket.
When Mitch was asked about his coaching philosophy, he responded …“Coaching rests on the core principal of continuous improvement. As a coach, I aim to be an agent for continuous improvement and be at the forefront of driving a culture which strives to embrace the standards & expectations of any successful organisation.”

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Back