Subbies Thread

Caulfield also done ok. Lost Damiano but have picked up Rummans and a bowler from Geelong Premier Cricket. Peter Cross also going to return.

Lot of blokes potting Mick on Facebook. Hope he can identify them on the field............................

Love how blokes are 80% tougher behind a keyboard.

Bet they wouldn't be as brave standing at the strikers end with Mick at the top of his mark.

It mentions that Mick still has coaching responsibilities, will be interesting how many games they can get out of him.

Definitely a new look Coburg, no Hollins or Kinsella but in Johnstone, Lewis and three quarters of RPB 1st and 2nd XI.

Love how blokes are 80% tougher behind a keyboard.

Bet they wouldn't be as brave standing at the strikers end with Mick at the top of his mark.

It mentions that Mick still has coaching responsibilities, will be interesting how many games they can get out of him.

Definitely a new look Coburg, no Hollins or Kinsella but in Johnstone, Lewis and three quarters of RPB 1st and 2nd XI.
Saw it first hand a few year's ago when he got angry. 5 yards quicker!

Caulfield also done ok. Lost Damiano but have picked up Rummans and a bowler from Geelong Premier Cricket. Peter Cross also going to return.

Have heard whispers of another recruit or two there as well. Would say they've improved their squad overall. If they had King they'd be unbackable...

As for coburg, think we'll find them at the pointy end of that group if they can get enough games out of Lewis and Johnstone returns to 14/15 form

Have heard whispers of another recruit or two there as well. Would say they've improved their squad overall. If they had King they'd be unbackable...

As for coburg, think we'll find them at the pointy end of that group if they can get enough games out of Lewis and Johnstone returns to 14/15 form
I think Coburg will need some more batting to compete with the best

God help us all when Rummans settles in.

Hard to think of another Premier player with such an appetite for runs.

Just a great get!!!!

Sunshine members at last night's meeting decided the club now withdraw from the VSDCA having decided to enter 3 teams in the VTCA. It is proposed the 3rds will play at Lloyd in order Council will not allocate it to another club. The club also needs to find a curator for both grounds as their curator for the past 2 seasons has been been appointed by Seddon (a club for whom he played), as its curator. My informant attended the meeting and said 2 of the senior officebearers stated the subbies will fold up in 4 years time. First I have heard of it--and probably the last!!
Piston Broke's post is interesting. If St Bernards accepts, it logically follows another club will need to be invited to even up the numbers. Anyone prepared to speculate?

Sunshine members at last night's meeting decided the club now withdraw from the VSDCA having decided to enter 3 teams in the VTCA. It is proposed the 3rds will play at Lloyd in order Council will not allocate it to another club. The club also needs to find a curator for both grounds as their curator for the past 2 seasons has been been appointed by Seddon (a club for whom he played), as its curator. My informant attended the meeting and said 2 of the senior officebearers stated the subbies will fold up in 4 years time. First I have heard of it--and probably the last!!
Piston Broke's post is interesting. If St Bernards accepts, it logically follows another club will need to be invited to even up the numbers. Anyone prepared to speculate?

I am sure I am not alone in feeling that Sunshine leaving subbies was somewhat inevitable. I think it is the right call for them and hope they can use this opportunity to re-establish themselves. As for Subbies folding, no, not unless there was a mass exodus and at this point I can only see two other clubs being on the brink. One of them I know for a fact is fighting hard and the other I am not so sure about. Without being disrespectful, I think subbies can handle the loss of up to 4 clubs and be no worse off. And, if those 4 clubs were replaced as we have seen with Hoppers and now possibly St Bernards, the comp will continue to be a destination for great clubs.

I am sure I am not alone in feeling that Sunshine leaving subbies was somewhat inevitable. I think it is the right call for them and hope they can use this opportunity to re-establish themselves. As for Subbies folding, no, not unless there was a mass exodus and at this point I can only see two other clubs being on the brink. One of them I know for a fact is fighting hard and the other I am not so sure about. Without being disrespectful, I think subbies can handle the loss of up to 4 clubs and be no worse off. And, if those 4 clubs were replaced as we have seen with Hoppers and now possibly St Bernards, the comp will continue to be a destination for great clubs.

I agree. The subbies is well-served by its admin and, below Premier, is now the only one providing an across-town competition. Sunshine C C was created by far-sighted people shortly after WW11 (the late Tom O'Brien MBE whose name appears on the Dempster Pavilion being one of them), for the purpose of providing local cricketers the opportunity to play in an across-town comp. It was done with the blessing and full co-operation of what was then the Sunshine & District Cricket Association. In those early days, the subbies consisted of only 2 grades and if a player from the local comp trying his luck in the subbies missed out on selection at Sunshine, he was free to return to his local club. Yes, over time all the above has changed, but what appears not to have changed is the desire by many cricketers to play in a well-run across-town comp.

Which 2 Clubs do you think are on the brink?

CV agreeing to 4 regions is a major development, has CV gone public on this?

And where does that leave the ECA and DDCA?

CV have now gone public on the 4 divisions, North and West have been combined. No timeframe provided. 4 regions rather than 5 on paper seemed like a shift that could lead to compromise but combining North and West isn't what I would have envisaged.

CV have now gone public on the 4 divisions, North and West have been combined. No timeframe provided. 4 regions rather than 5 on paper seemed like a shift that could lead to compromise but combining North and West isn't what I would have envisaged.

I am not surprised at the combination of North and West for the reason given in my post 2242 on p113. I suppose no time-frame is possible whilst the subbies clubs remain loyal to the VSDCA. There is a significant presence of subbies clubs in areas where they may find it difficult to get sufficient junior numbers to maintain 4 open-age teams due to competition for juniors with non subbies clubs in their region (ie not enough kids to go around). Eg how many junior teams did Williamstown field last season?

I am not surprised at the combination of North and West for the reason given in my post 2242 on p113. I suppose no time-frame is possible whilst the subbies clubs remain loyal to the VSDCA. There is a significant presence of subbies clubs in areas where they may find it difficult to get sufficient junior numbers to maintain 4 open-age teams due to competition for juniors with non subbies clubs in their region (ie not enough kids to go around). Eg how many junior teams did Williamstown field last season?

Yes, I remember you suggesting that but I have to say I don't like it. I would prefer to see clubs given the option to reduce their teams number to 3 rather than combine North and West. Surely with the VTCA & VSDCA combined there are enough clubs for separate divisions. Then you consider the travel implications for this, Melton or Werribee to Ivanhoe or PV...

Who is being pandered to here? Is it the VTCA being rewarded for giving up their South division? Or is it the DDCA who were the first come out and say "we don't like the CV review and we won't be changing"?

To me, the DDCA are the issue. Their comp will be essentially unchanged, and they add Noble and Endeavour to their pool of clubs. Play on.

That leaves Croydon, Bayswater, Box Hill, Balwyn, and Kew headed to the ECA. Most of the South Group go to the CV comp. Question marks exist over Ivanhoe (probably to the CV NW but they may prefer ECA), Malvern (Stonnington) and the Monash clubs, Oakleigh and Mt Waverley, which are Inner SE CV aligned. None would want to be in the DDCA. The VSDCA South and East Groups clearly have the most to lose under this Version 2.

Yes, I remember you suggesting that but I have to say I don't like it. I would prefer to see clubs given the option to reduce their teams number to 3 rather than combine North and West. Surely with the VTCA & VSDCA combined there are enough clubs for separate divisions. Then you consider the travel implications for this, Melton or Werribee to Ivanhoe or PV...

Who is being pandered to here? Is it the VTCA being rewarded for giving up their South division? Or is it the DDCA who were the first come out and say "we don't like the CV review and we won't be changing"?

To me, the DDCA are the issue. Their comp will be essentially unchanged, and they add Noble and Endeavour to their pool of clubs. Play on.

That leaves Croydon, Bayswater, Box Hill, Balwyn, and Kew headed to the ECA. Most of the South Group go to the CV comp. Question marks exist over Ivanhoe (probably to the CV NW but they may prefer ECA), Malvern (Stonnington) and the Monash clubs, Oakleigh and Mt Waverley, which are Inner SE CV aligned. None would want to be in the DDCA. The VSDCA South and East Groups clearly have the most to lose under this Version 2.

Over here, my particular concern is the ongoing ability of subbies clubs in non-growth corridors to field 4 open-age teams given there are seems to be insufficient kids coming through to meet the needs of all the clubs in these areas. For that reason, I particularly liked your 'chrystal ball' suggestion (2279, p114), that the subbies lower grades be in the CV regional comp.

Back