Super 8 - Ireland/ Sri Lanka

Re: Super 8 - Ireland/ Sri Lanka

Ireland's last match will end in tatters. All out a for a paltry 77 off 27.4 overs.

They started well but lost Jeremy Bray for 20 and it all went downhill from there. Botha followed two balls later and Morgan the ball after leaving Farveez Maharoof on a hat-trick. He didn't get it but the wickets kept tumbling after a mini-revival.

Will Porterfield was out for 17 leaving Ireland 4/46. The Irish then lost 4/1, losing Niall O'Brien, Carroll, Johnston and Kevin O'Brien in the space of 11 balls. McCallan didn't last long before Dave Langford-Smith and Rankin put on 23 before Vaas trapped Langford-Smith in front for 18.

Muralitharan and Maharoof picked up four wickets with Maharoof also getting a run-out. Vaas got the other wicket.

In reply to Ireland's 77, Sri Lanka haven't done much better with Tharanga just being dismissed as I type this for a duck.

Sri Lanka are 1/1 after one over.

despite thsi result, they should still hold their heads high as this WC, their first, should be considered a huge success.

Sangakkara falls to Langford-Smith for 10.

Sri Lanka 2/35 in the 5th over. Jayasuriya is trying to finish this as fast as he can. He's on 13 and has barely had the strike.

And that's it, game over.

Mahela Jayawardene hits the winning runs and Sri Lanka win comfortably by 8 wickets off just 10 overs. Jayawardene finishes on 39 not out with Jayasuriya on 24.

A crushing win in the end. For Ireland to not finish last, Bangladesh would have to lose similarly to how Ireland was beaten today.

This is got to be a record isn't it?

Hats off to Ireland anyway, I think they did very well being this is their first time in the World Cup. They went further in this competitition than all the other associate teams, that's an accomplishment in itself. I'm sure they are very proud of what they did.

Muralitharan improved his average quite well didn't he?

Sri Lanka just too good.

Ireland would have been happy with their performances generally throughout this world cup. They've done well @|

aussieman;154498 said:
Muralitharan improved his average quite well didn't he?

Sri Lanka just too good.

Ireland would have been happy with their performances generally throughout this world cup. They've done well @|

His average has been helped by playing the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe quite often but that doesn't negate his effectiveness as a wicket taker against all comers.

heck no, i'm not having a go at him, or his wicket-taking abilities. I admire the guy, i really do.

But to play against Ireland and take 4, but not against Australia? he still takes wickets against Australia, but goes for a lot more runs.

like you said though: Sri Lanka does play Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Canada, a lot more than Australia do. Still...you got to do the work and win the game don't you?

Back