Super Eights - Australia vs Bangladesh

Super Eights - Austrailian - Bangladesh

Greetings to all. The start of the match has been delayed a bit due to heavy overnight rains as the attend to a damp field. Play should be starting up in a bit. I will try and give updates for a good but, and perhaps if I step away someone else can fill in.

Re: Super Eights - Austrailian - Bangladesh

Pitch still wet in a few places.
There will be another inspection in 50 minutes, at noon.

The crowd looks happy for now though, and there's no rain in the sky.

I kind of think they will play today, as the place seems to be drying out.

It's going to be a short match though, probably no more than 30 overs per side, and I suspect that the Bangladeshis won't complain too much about a shortened match. They'll give up a lot of boundaries to the Australian batsmen, but they ought to pick up their own fair share of runs too.

It would be interesting to see how many overs they would play. At least both teams would be starting out on an equal footing, unlike the Bermuda/Bangladesh match.

marlyminks;149801 said:
It would be interesting to see how many overs they would play. At least both teams would be starting out on an equal footing, unlike the Bermuda/Bangladesh match.

Still sore about that minks? :D

DirtyJerzey;149802 said:
Still sore about that minks? :D

No , of course not, just drawing a reference. :)

Another inspection in 30 minutes

Just interviewed the umpires and they guaranteed that they'd eventually play some cricket today. Apparantly the cutoff time for a 20-over match is 2:47, a little over two and a half hours from now, so they should easily be able to start by then.

Good news, because some of the crowd looked like they were starting to get restless.

cleazer;149817 said:
Just interviewed the umpires and they guaranteed that they'd eventually play some cricket today. Apparantly the cutoff time for a 20-over match is 2:47, a little over two and a half hours from now, so they should easily be able to start by then.

Good news, because some of the crowd looked like they were starting to get restless.

I should say so, they want to see a game played, especially if they had to pay $75 for it :)

Here is the last update:
The next inspection at 18.00 BST

The Umpire (Billy Bowden) is sure the will get the game in. Looks like it will be a Twenty/20.

WOW, SkySports just reported if no game is played it will be declared a 'no-result" and both teams share the points:
Michael Thomson has asked about the points situation if the match cannot be completed. The answer is that the game will be declared a 'no result' and the teams will share the points, which would be a huge bonus for Bangladesh
Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Diamond Joe Quimby;149829 said:
WOW, SkySports just reported if no game is played it will be declared a 'no-result" and both teams share the points:
Michael Thomson has asked about the points situation if the match cannot be completed. The answer is that the game will be declared a 'no result' and the teams will share the points, which would be a huge bonus for Bangladesh
Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Seems very odd ...

Seems like play will finally get underway. Both sides will get 22 overs each, with just one powerplay of nine overs. Two bowlers per team can have spells of five overs each, while three others can bowl a maximum of four apiece.

Aussies have won the toss and elected to field.
Australia: Adam Gilchrist (wk), Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Michael Hussey, Shane Watson, Brad Hogg, Nathan Bracken, Shaun Tait, Glenn McGrath

Bangladesh: Tamim Iqbal, Shahriar Nafees, Aftab Ahmed, Saqibal Hasan, Habibul Bashar (capt), Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Abdur Razzak, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafe Mortaza, Syed Rasal

Been waiting so long for this game to start. Have been waiting since 9:15pm my time at a friend's place (it's now 2:55am and yes I have been drinking :D). As DJQ said, Australia decided to bowl first and it has paid off so far.

Bangladesh find themselves in trouble at 2/17 in the 5th over. Both Glenn McGrath and Nathan Bracken have a wicket each.

Aftab Ahmed is not out on 11 and has faced just six balls.

Not a great start from Bangladesh, 17 in the 5th over is not good when you have just 22 overs to set a score.

Back