Super Eights - Ireland vs South Africa

Ljp86

Staff member
Super Eights - Ireland vs South Africa

Play is not far away in this game between Ireland and South Africa. Light drizzle has been falling at the ground but it has cleared up and play is expected to start within 15 minutes.

The pitch looks similar to others we have seen. It is quite flat and is lacking grass.

Ireland go in as massive underdogs but South Africa will go into this game wary of what Ireland can do having played well to reach this stage of the tournament.

Play will be starting at 9:45am local time.

South Africa have won the toss and decided to bowl first.

Ireland XI: WTS Porterfield, JP Bray, EJG Morgan, NJ O'Brien+, AR White, AC Botha, DT Johnston*, WK McCallan, PJK Mooney, D Langford-Smith, WB Rankin

South Africa XI: GC Smith*, AB de Villiers, JH Kallis, HH Gibbs, AG Prince, MV Boucher+, JM Kemp, SM Pollock, AJ Hall, CK Langeveldt, M Ntini

Re: Super Eights - Ireland vs South Africa

RSA needs a nice performance today. If they have to sweat it out like they did against Sri Lanka it may damage their confidence.

To be honest, they could use a thumper to boost their NRR. 2 maidens to start is exactly what they need - too bad for Ireland though, they will struggle to keep this one close.

Bray LBW to Pollock for a duck.

Ireland are 1/0 after 2.3 overs.

South Africa bowling beautifully so far, giving the Irish nothing.

i'm hoping the Irish will put up a good performance

Diamond Joe Quimby;150601 said:
You're just trying to jinx'em like we did to Bangladesh yesterday aren't you?;)

no, seriously, i really want them to do well.
maybe i should say, i hope they do terrible instead :)

17/1 after 8.1 overs.
RSA is going to make them work for their runs

There was a brief interuption in play due to the rain, but they about to resume

no sooner have i said that, play has stop again. Looks like it going to be one of those matches, probably reduced overs if it continues

23/1 after 11 overs
rain has stopped play again!, it's coming down very heavy according to cricinfo report

The last time they showed views from around the ground, you could clearly see some heavy rain still in the distance. This is going to be a long delay.

The covers are coming off as I type this. We may have play again in 10-15 minutes.

Every time they pull them out, they have to bring them back in. Let's hope this time it stops and they resume play.

Okay, the game is underway again.
62/2 after 19 overs. since the match is shortened to 35 overs, the Irish are trying to pick up the pace a bit which they would need to to post a decent score

Hall gets Morgan with a good quick delivery, he's out for 28

63-3 after 19.5

There's still 15.1 overs to go, I wonder what Ireland will be hoping to put up as a target. Looks like they're heading for about 150.

Back