Super Eights - West Indies vs Australia

Ljp86

Staff member
Super Eights - West Indies vs Australia

The first game of the Super Eights is underway between the tournament hosts and the defending champions.

Australia are off to a slow start here and they have just lost Adam Gilchrist for 7, caught by Ramdin off the bowling of Powell.

Australia are 1/16 after 5 overs. Matthew Hayden is yet to score despite facing 16 balls.

West Indies XI: CH Gayle, S Chanderpaul, RR Sarwan, MN Samuels, BC Lara*, DJ Bravo, DR Smith, D Ramdin+, JE Taylor, DB Powell, CD Collymore

Australia XI: AC Gilchrist+, ML Hayden, RT Ponting*, MJ Clarke, A Symonds, MEK Hussey, SR Watson, GB Hogg, NW Bracken, SW Tait, GD McGrath

Re: Super Eights - West Indies vs Australia

Australia 56/1 after 10 overs. Looks like their starting to get things going after a slow start and losing Gilchrist early

yep, their skipper is on song and the litmus test begins for the caribbean bowlers
marlyminks;148517 said:
Australia 56/1 after 10 overs. Looks like their starting to get things going after a slow start and losing Gilchrist early

Ponting run out by Sarwan for 35, just when he looked good, a piece of brilliance gets rid of him.

Australia are now 2/76 in the 15th over. Hayden is still there on 25.

Michael Clarke is the new batsmen.

See the match photo on Cricinfo? Rows and rows of empty seats
behind Gill(igan) and Powell. Where are the crowds? This is supposed to be the top matchup of the Super 8s.

i think the picture is taken in the first hour of the day when many of the spectators yet to arrive, it would be filled as the day progress

mathew completes a cautious fifty, approaching for a successive hundred. he is looking rock solid

timmyj51;148530 said:
See the match photo on Cricinfo? Rows and rows of empty seats
behind Gill(igan) and Powell. Where are the crowds? This is supposed to be the top matchup of the Super 8s.

Clarke falls LBW to Dwayne Bravo for 41.

Both Clarke and Hayden were looking good out there but their partnership has been broken just as they were upping the ante.

Australia now 3/174 in the 31st over. Hayden is still there on 78.

Drinks being taken. Light drizzle has been falling for quite some time.

Andrew Symonds is the new bastmen.

bravo breaks the 98 runs partnership but aussies are in a comfortable position
now they will go for biggies @|

Ljp86;148537 said:
Clarke falls LBW to Dwayne Bravo for 41.

Both Clarke and Hayden were looking good out there but their partnership has been broken just as they were upping the ante.

Australia now 3/174 in the 31st over. Hayden is still there on 78.

Drinks being taken. Light drizzle has been falling for quite some time.

Andrew Symonds is the new bastmen.

Symonds snicks one and is well taken by Ramdin. Marlon Samuels gets a breakthrough.

Australia are 4/209 in the 37th over. Michael Hussey is the new batsmen with Hayden on 99.

And Hayden gets his century, drives to mid-off and passes the fielder. Yet another brilliant knock from Haydos, hard to believe that some people didn't want him in the World Cup squad.

Took him 19 balls to score his first run today and it's taken him 110 to get his hundred.

Well batted Matthew!!

4/211 after 38 overs. New batsmen Hussey is on 1.

itsme;148534 said:
i think the picture is taken in the first hour of the day when many of the spectators yet to arrive, it would be filled as the day progress

Latest Cricinfo has picture of Hayden well into his innings. Still rows and
rows of empty seats behind him. Even the Windies fans don't seem
to care about this WC.

timmyj51;148551 said:
Latest Cricinfo has picture of Hayden well into his innings. Still rows and
rows of empty seats behind him. Even the Windies fans don't seem
to care about this WC.

Yep you're right! The World Cup sucks, the ICC sucks, cricket sucks. Really the only good thing is Yank Pro Baseballers. Opening day is just a week away - go annoy them instead.

Australia ends their innings on 322/6. Match has been suspended for the day due to rain, will resume tomorrow morning with the Windies at bat. Going by the reports it has been a steady drizzle all day with intermittent periods of heavier rain.

That's funny, this is the same weather they had in Trinidad during the Bangladesh/Bermuda match, steady drizzle, heavy rain etc, etc.so much that they had to leave the field about 4 times as a result. But they were allowed to continue play albeit by reduced overs, by contrast they suspend the Australia/Windies match until tomorrow for the same weather conditions, this doesn't seem fair.to me. However I do take into account different venues, umpires, match referees etc. Just an observation on my part :)

i dont think its the same weather with that of trinidad match. today australia did bat their innings without any interreption. but on sunday there had been several rain breaks from the very morning. so they had to curtail the overs to complete the match in a single day. everything is done according to the provision available in the rules of the tournament.

marlyminks;148575 said:
Australia ends their innings on 322/6. Match has been suspended for the day due to rain, will resume tomorrow morning with the Windies at bat. Going by the reports it has been a steady drizzle all day with intermittent periods of heavier rain.

That's funny, this is the same weather they had in Trinidad during the Bangladesh/Bermuda match, steady drizzle, heavy rain etc, etc.so much that they had to leave the field about 4 times as a result. But they were allowed to continue play albeit by reduced overs, by contrast they suspend the Australia/Windies match until tomorrow for the same weather conditions, this doesn't seem fair.to me. However I do take into account different venues, umpires, match referees etc. Just an observation on my part :)

marlyminks;148575 said:

Come on marly, even without the rain Bangladesh would have beaten Bermuda handily. Actually, it would have been a lot worse. Shortened match due to rain is what made it competitive for you guys.

Chandu;148809 said:
Come on marly, even without the rain Bangladesh would have beaten Bermuda handily. Actually, it would have been a lot worse. Shortened match due to rain is what made it competitive for you guys.

You're probably right, but that wasn't the point i was making. Anyhow my point was how one game was made to continue during the weather and the other wasn't. Just an observation. I think "itsme" gave a good enough explanation.

Day Two:

weather forecast is suggesting rain, rain and more rain

it's currently raining at this moment in time too :(

That LBW decision against chanderpaul was ridiculous. The ball was heading no where near the stumps .

Back