Super Foods

khan nasir

Super Foods

I read in a different thread the mention of 'Super foods'. A quick search tells me that they are foods which are deemed to have great properties.

What I am wondering is, is what do experts consider to be the most important of super foods from a health point of view as well as a sports man view. Is there food that can give healing?

Re: Super Foods

A difficult one to answer.

There are hundreds of superfoods with different properties; all can give 'healing' just different kinds. It is a case of consuming the one that will heal your particular ailment.

For me, there is no difference between health and sport points of view. What is good for one is good for both.

Ah, wheat! If I teach you anything, I hope I teach you that nothing is simple :laugh:

Wheat can help prevent heart disease, protects intestinal and bowel health, may reduce risk of certain cancers and is an important source of selenium.

Wheat must not be fed to infants under 6 months, is deadly to those with coeliac disease and wheat bran raw in cereals reduce mineral absorption and can irritate the bowel.

Baked beans on wholemeal toast is a complete food... yum!

I don't think I have said enough about bananas... they can also help sleep and improve moods.

Hi Liz,
I wanted to know which of the following is good for breakfast:
1) Corn flakes
2) Wheat flakes
3) Oats
What else can added to it besides milk.

Secondly;what is preferable for Evening Snacks between (5:00- 8:00pm)

Hi Virender,

All cereals are great for breakfast, I prefer oats because of their slow release properties. Oats are also gluten free if you have a problem in that area. Muesli is great, you can combine oats with wheat flakes, cornflakes and your choice of dried or chopped fruits.

A great superfood muesli:

Oat flakes, barley flakes, prune pieces, soy flakes, cranberries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, brazil nut pieces, chopped hazelnuts, blueberries, linseeds.

Mixed with live yogurt... yum ;) .

I like goats milk with porridge or cereal biscuits.

Have you read http://www.simplycricket.net/what-to-have-for-breaky-t1354.0.html ?

As for evening snacks, it really depends what you plan to do. I often work until 10 - 10.30 pm training or coaching so I may have a peanut butter sandwich (seeded, wholemeal bread) and always a banana. If I am at home, I may have baked beans, poached egg or pilchards on toast. That would also depend on what I have eaten during the day and what I have planned for supper.

Anything can be a superfood when eaten at the right time. Except perhaps trans-fats.

Anything unprocessed and natural is exceptional. Here are some options:

oranges
peppers
eggs
flaxseeds (or linseeds)
milk
yogurt
cucumber
spinach
avocado
salmon
quinoa
mixed nuts
extra virgin olive oil
green tea
broccoli
tomatoes
strawberries
blueberries

How many of these are you eating a week?

I have eggs 3 times a week, Milk everyday & cucumber & broccoli twice a week
what about bananas is it a super food

I think I must have written about bananas more than any other subject... and it is not true, I do not receive any commission on sales :laugh:

The following is from the "What to have for breaky????" thread:

Liz Ward said:
I am afraid it depends on the person and the 'state' and size of the banana.

All fruit is great but just taking the banana for a moment, one large banana, about 9 inches in length, will offer:
140 calories;
602 mg of potassium (see below);
2 g of protein;
36 g of carbohydrates;
4 g of fiber;
only 2 mg of sodium;
123 I.U. of vitamin A;
all the B vitamins;
.07 mg of Thiamine;
.15 mg of Riboflavin;
.82 mg Niacin;
.88 mg vitamin B6;
29 mcg of Folic Acid;
13.8 mg of vitamin C;
9.2 mg Calcium;
44.1 mg Magnesium;
trace amounts of iron and zinc.

Potassium is helpful for your body to maintain the fluid balance in blood and tissue cells.

Potassium is also an essential mineral for protein synthesis and the building of muscle because it stimulates nerve impulses for muscle contraction.

For all you students: 200 students at an English school were helped through their exams recently by eating bananas at breakfast, break and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

I think that will do for now, oh except, the banana plant is the World's largest herb!

Also... Less ripe bananas counter constipation... Ripe bananas help relieve diarrhoea.

This thread is really useful!! Thanks for all the info.

I have to say, bananas rock when it comes to quick snacks on the go as well as being amazing for you.

Leafy Green vegatable - lettuce and Spinnach, I read years ago that there's something in leafy green vegatables (Raw) that aids the healing of skin (White blood cells). Years ago I damaged my ear drum and the next time I went swimming I had water enter my middle ear and eventually after a matter of days it went gammy. It didn't heal, my hearing was reduced by 2/3rds, it hurt and I had yellow slime oozing out of it continuosly - time to see a doctor. I'd collected two or three other complaints as well making it worthwhile to go and see him. The outcome anti-biotics and it got better within a week.

2nd swimming session - same process repeated.
3rd swimming session..... This time he said "Look mate you can't keep going swimming you've screwed your eardrum, the more you keep doing antibiotics the less effect they'll have and this 3rd batch here are pretty powerful, if you were to have a serious accident now you'd be screwed as your body is building up an immunity to the antibiotic".

This is not what I needed to hear as I was just about to go surfing for 6 months. I knew that diet was important for your body to maintain and fix itself and thought - there's no way I'm not going surfing not after planning it for the last 2-3 years _ i've got to look at the healthy eating option. In my research I came across a book written by an ex SAS soldier and in the book was a chapter that looked at the minimum required to get the maximum out of the human body and amongst the info was some information about injuries. This bloke reckoned that the best approach was to ensure your body was up to the job of repair and fighting against infection and an essential part of this was the leafy green vegatables info.

Since that day I've surfed and had episodes of inner ear trauma - the pain and the pus, but never again have I had to resort to anti-biotics. Now when I surf I try and avoid the water in the ear but in 8-10 foot waves it's inevitable, but the answer is to simply eat lettuce. I eat a whole lettuce over a period of 2 - 3 days and the ear fixes itself. Whether this is a placebo affect I don't know - but for me it works. But I'm an advocate of healthy eating I'm rarely ill and would rather eat myself well than go and see a doctor. Leafy green lettuce and spinnach eaten raw get my vote as a super food.

But others I love and recommend -

Oliy Fish - mackerel, pilchards, sardines
Garlic - raw
Tomatoes and all bright coloured fruits and veg
Bananas
Porridge (oats)
Just watch the tele - everyone is on about it at the moment.

Fantastic Dave! All really good foods; the best [listed] for antibiotic properties is the garlic, which can subdue a wide range of bacterial, viral and fungal infections, such as flu, colds, gastroenteritis, thrush and cold sores ;)

Garlic also:

Reduces raised blood cholesterol levels;
Helps blood flow freely;
Lowers high blood pressure;
Reduces blood sugar levels; and
Has anticancer action.

And don't forget... it holds the vampires at bay too :eek:hmy:

I could have gone on a Garlic rant as well and for all I know the garlic is doing some of the work on my ear as well? Thinking about it - I think around about the same time (Pre surf trip) I was burning the candle at boths ends (and in the middle) with all the things I had going on in my life at the time and I got really "Run down" and started taking vitamin tablets. I remember finishing off some tablets and going back to the chemist and asking the bloke "What's best for......."? and the chemist turned round and said "To be honest mate - just eat good food - fruit, veg, meat and ensure you're getting a good balanced diet - you don't need to buy these pills they're a waste of money". I kind of put the SAS info together with this advice and went on my surf trip. I then had the good fortune to meet an Aussie surfer who I then surfed with for the next two summers and he had an unbelievably good diet and he introduced me to all sorts of new approaches to food and eating and it's him that turned me onto garlic via simple Italian/mediteranean food. Prior to that I'd been brought up on English working class meat and 2 veg, it was a revelation. But again he was having to adopt a maximum benefit from minimum food approach in the same way as me as he was on a limited budget living on hillside in a tent alongside me.

If you look into Garlics history and benefits it probably is The Superfood of all food.

I can't say that I eat raw garlic but I do use it a hell of a lot in cooking, probably most days I'd reckon (well at least 4 out of the 7).

Raw garlic with some food is amazing just sitting here now I'm salivating, but I can't do anything about it cos my wife doesn't appreciate it!!! Raw garlic with any onions with mature cheddar cheese in real white bread is a real favourite of mine and I know the cheese is bad and so too is the white bread, but it's one of my only vices (Along with chocolate every now and then).

Italian bread ciabatta for instance with grilled bacon and mushrooms drizzled with virgin olive oil eaten with slithers of raw garlic, uncooked Italian tomatoes and spinnach is just the best in the summer eaten al fresco. I just can't wait for the summer!

someblokecalleddave said:
Italian bread ciabatta for instance with grilled bacon and mushrooms drizzled with virgin olive oil eaten with slithers of raw garlic, uncooked Italian tomatoes and spinnach is just the best in the summer eaten al fresco. I just can't wait for the summer!

That sounds top notch, will have to give it a go. I think we have most of that in the house save for the bacon (other half is a vegetarian so don't buy a lot of meat).

I think it helps in that I don't eat sweet stuff (apart from chocolate) and I avoid sugar and salt so my sense of what tastes good is probably such that I appreciate strong flavoured foods?

Back