Supplements

Re: Supplements

That book looks worth it just for the super shakes and 5 minute meals sections. It can be a right pain having to come in and spend an hour cooking.

Almost_Austwick said:
Try in the Organic & Wellbeing Food aisles, you should find something in there.

Ahh thanks will check it out when i'm in next.

Getting onto the point about green tea is it ok to have a little splenda in it?I tried it for the first time the other day and found the taste horrible but added a little splenda and it tasted much better.Is it ok to do this?

Hmm, I shall have to leave this one with David. I know little about Splenda; tend to steer clear of substitutes altogether, however, my youngest son likes a little manuka honey with his.

Splenda is preferable to sugar for sure. I use it a lot in shakes and sweet tasting bars.

Some people avoid it as the long term effects are unknown and it is a man made processed substance. The choice is yours but I have no issues with it. Especially as the natural alternative Stevia is not for sale in the EU.

Almost_Austwick said:
I will just add this:

Avoid the mistake made by a work colleague - do not add milk to green tea!

I dread to think what that would taste like!

I found the taste a little bitter and over powering so i used splenda and it tastes much better.

Alternatively, do not infuse for so long.

Alternatively still, there are some great, flavoured green tea on the market. Twinings do a lovely Pineapple and Grapefruit one. It only has 1% pineapple pieces and 1% grapefruit pieces but it is enough to make a really refreshing drink.

Liz Ward said:
Alternatively, do not infuse for so long.

Alternatively still, there are some great, flavoured green tea on the market. Twinings do a lovely Pineapple and Grapefruit one. It only has 1% pineapple pieces and 1% grapefruit pieces but it is enough to make a really refreshing drink.
Liz; What are the ingredients in green tea.
What is the difference between green tea and the normal tea.
Secondly;which brands do u recommend

Black tea, oolong tea, and green tea come from the same Camellia sinensis plant. But unlike the other two varieties, green tea leaves are not fermented before steaming and drying.

Most teas contain large amounts of polyphenols, which are plant-based substances that have been shown to have antioxidant, anticancer, and antiviral properties.

However, green tea is particularly rich in a type of polyphenols called catechins. These substances have also been shown to have anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties, but recent research in animals show that catechins may also affect body fat accumulation and cholesterol levels.

As for brands Virender, I think, whatever you can get hold of and whichever sell the flavours you are particularly fond of.

David, would you recommend a particular brand?

A lot of it is down to personal choice but you do pay for quality a bit like wine. Leaves are better quality than bags for example. However I just go for whatever is in the supermarket out of laziness.

Liz Ward said:
So, Tom and Dikon, what did you think about David's Peanut Butter Fudge Bar?

Haha tried it once but rather buy an off the shelf one ;) Not too keen on the flax seed taste to be honest!

Looking for something different to do with your whey protein? Try this low carb, protein smoothie. [Restrict it to post exercise as your body absorbs this type of protein at a much faster rate than any other.]

This smoothie is rich in healthy essential fats from linseed oil, (omega-3 fatty acids), especially alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), that appears to be beneficial for heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and a variety of other health conditions including skin, allergies and sports injuries. In addition to ALA, Linseed contains a group of chemicals called lignans that may play a role in the prevention of cancer.

For the millions of non-diabetics who have a blood sugar problem but are unaware of it, just half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day significantly reduces blood sugar levels ;)

VANILLA PROTEIN SMOOTHIE

INGREDIENTS:
• 120ml water
• 1 tablespoon linseed oil
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 1 scoop French vanilla whey protein powder
• cinnamon to taste

METHOD:
1. Place water in the blender.
2. Add the linseed oil and vanilla extract to the blender.
3. Add the protein powder.
4. Blend until smooth. Add cinnamon if desired. Pour into a glass and serve.

Liz Ward said:
Scientists from the University of Pretoria and the University of Limpopo have been reviewing reseach in to Aspartame.

If anybody is interested in how this "poison" can damage your brain and may cause cancer, Dr Mecola has some interesting comments:

Hmm I'm a little skpetical. What is "high consumption"?

That said, I always go for the more natural, less processed option where possible as it's almost always healthier.

Back