Surfing

Re: Surfing

very impressive. Have seen images of people doing this in the Amazon on a river but never a lake, quite extrodinary.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I've always admired surfers in the UK - that requires commitment.

I'm a firm believer that everyone in Australia should surf - it's not until you go overseas that you realise how lucky we are with our beaches.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. I've always admired surfers in the UK - that requires commitment.

I'm a firm believer that everyone in Australia should surf - it's not until you go overseas that you realise how lucky we are with our beaches.

It's always been one of my ambissions to surf in Oz, at 50 it's looking increasingly unlikely to be realised. Sept and Oct here are the best times of year - the waters 16 degrees and the air temp is about the same and with a 3mm suit it's nice. Big swells in the Atlantic and off-shores on the west coast mean some decent swells get through. 98% sandbars - very few reefs.

It's always been one of my ambissions to surf in Oz, at 50 it's looking increasingly unlikely to be realised. Sept and Oct here are the best times of year - the waters 16 degrees and the air temp is about the same and with a 3mm suit it's nice. Big swells in the Atlantic and off-shores on the west coast mean some decent swells get through. 98% sandbars - very few reefs.
Well the last week here it's been topping out at around 14-18 degrees air temperature in the middle of the day, and the water temp has been 19-21 degrees, and I've been too much of a wimp to go for a surf.

Here on the east coast with the currents, the water tends to stay quite warm even into winter. The tradeoff is, of course, that sometimes you can get to almost Christmas and you're still wearing a spring suit because the water is still 17 or 18 degrees.

Well the last week here it's been topping out at around 14-18 degrees air temperature in the middle of the day, and the water temp has been 19-21 degrees, and I've been too much of a wimp to go for a surf.

Here on the east coast with the currents, the water tends to stay quite warm even into winter. The tradeoff is, of course, that sometimes you can get to almost Christmas and you're still wearing a spring suit because the water is still 17 or 18 degrees.

Sounds good, I surfed here on New Years Eve in 1989 with a 5mm suit and it wasn't too bad, the water hadn't cooled and the start of the winter had been mild. Feb and early march here is hardcore, done it once, never again - bloody cold!

Back