Swann not player of the year...

thewrongun

Swann not player of the year...

Well, the ICC have decided not to make Swanny the player of the year (full story here). To be honest, it's hard to see how it could have been anyone but Tendulkar given the season he's had though.

Re: Swann not player of the year...

Probably have to agree with their decision. Swann was good but Tendulkar had the consistency nailed down.

When would the decision have been made? Might it have been swayed by some of the things he was reported as having said recently by one of the tabloids regarding the fans at the England/Pakistan games? If there was any truth in what was reported, I can see that as an ambassador for cricket he's a lesser bloke than Sachin Tendulkar who as far as I'm aware comes across as a good example of an international cricketer in all aspects.

BBC Sport - Cricket - Graeme Swann 'did not want to play' Pakistan at Lord's

This version in comparison with what I read in the Sun comes across far more restrained.

Wasn't the award voted for by the public? If so, that would easily explain why Tendulkar won.

Edit: Different award but Tendulkar won the people's choice one as well.

mas cambios;410069 said:
Wasn't the award voted for by the public? If so, that would easily explain why Tendulkar won.

Edit: Different award but Tendulkar won the people's choice one as well.

Sachin was always going to win it. He was nominated for the Test cricketer, the ODI cricketer and the Player of the Year.

How weird would it have been if Swann had won it, seeing that he wasn't even in either of the other shortlists?

And it would have been just wrong if Sachin had gone through his career without ever winning it. The little fella still looks like serenity itself when he's at the crease.

Beeswax;410169 said:
Sachin was always going to win it. He was nominated for the Test cricketer, the ODI cricketer and the Player of the Year.

How weird would it have been if Swann had won it, seeing that he wasn't even in either of the other shortlists?

And it would have been just wrong if Sachin had gone through his career without ever winning it. The little fella still looks like serenity itself when he's at the crease.

My point was more aimed at the people's vote award than the main ICC award. Given that Tendulkar is worshipped as a near god in a country of over 1.1 billion people he's going to be a shoe in for any vote of that kind.

The truth of the matter is the guy had a great 12 months, hence the nomination. I'm not arguing against him winning it - in actual fact it was probably harder to not to give it to him.

Finn winning the newcomer's award is potentially more contentious although I guess Aamer was rightfully ignored and the other contenders were very much of a muchness (Umar Akmal, Angelo Matthews, Tim Paine).

Back