Sweep Shot

Re: Sweep Shot

Monty57 speaks some wise words as if you're going to do any practice it's important to replicate a game scenario as closely as possible.

Don't take the short measures, you're only cheating yourself.

i scored a 6 in the indoor area today off a sweep shot.

i saw it coming from one of our fastest bowlers, i droped to one knee and slashed it away. beautiful shot.

I think the idea of this thread was to discuss the tips in order to succeed with the sweep shot, not the merits of it or how many runs you've scored off it.

Please keep on topic, thanks.

When i first started, and even now early on in my innings im "afriad," to get down to one knee, and its more mental than anything else.

All you need to do is in the nets, dont go down on one knee, get the strength to just "get low," that way if your scared of not being able to manouver quickly when down on one knee, atleast if your low to the ground, so you toes are taking the wieght of your bent leg, then you can assess the situation.

Later on in an innings, get down to that knee, and start to open your arms a bit and give it a good spank, thing is, i love the reverse sweep later on in an innings because i know the ball is a little softer and the chances of a spinner making me top edge to a keep not up to the stumps is slim, its all about confidence is Cricket :p be confident, you'll play like Ponting. (Without the elegant On-Drive i must admit)

Yeah, excellent tutorial. In the beginning even I couldn't get the hang of the sweep shot until a guy mentored me.
The mistake I was making was my balance.
After, that I found this shot extremely easy and I also got the hang of the reverse-sweep.

Simbazz said:
When i first started, and even now early on in my innings im "afriad," to get down to one knee, and its more mental than anything else.

All you need to do is in the nets, dont go down on one knee, get the strength to just "get low," that way if your scared of not being able to manouver quickly when down on one knee, atleast if your low to the ground, so you toes are taking the wieght of your bent leg, then you can assess the situation.

Later on in an innings, get down to that knee, and start to open your arms a bit and give it a good spank, thing is, i love the reverse sweep later on in an innings because i know the ball is a little softer and the chances of a spinner making me top edge to a keep not up to the stumps is slim, its all about confidence is Cricket :p be confident, you'll play like Ponting. (Without the elegant On-Drive i must admit)

Good post! I will try that tomorrow, get down low :D

Thanks for that Ramzz, I guess how much you play it will depend on what sort of wickets you play on but it's great for having up your sleeve if you ever need a scoring shot.

I used to play this a lot but got put off after top edging a ball into my forehead, cause a nasty cut.

I only sweep now if I'm wearing a helmet and happy that the pitch is playing true.

i play this a lot against spinners. but we hardly get any spinners bowling at us and most of them are part time ones.

swghayward79 said:
I used to play this a lot but got put off after top edging a ball into my forehead, cause a nasty cut.

I only sweep now if I'm wearing a helmet and happy that the pitch is playing true.

Unlucky! :laugh:

nonet101 said:
An ungainly stroke, why lower yourself to this when you can play a far more elegant drive or push.
I think its very good shot to play when you dont know how the ball is going to spin. It can also be used to get easy fours if the fielder is in the wrong place.

what matters is that it can fetch runs. i dont care how they come as long as they do. i cant think of a great player who never played the sweep shot, it can bring some easy runs.

i dont know how good is the sweep shot....one coach told me never to play it....i struggle with my balance but i can play spinners well without sweeping..

Rajan,

Best thing is, dont go onto one knee if you cant balance. Bend your knee so its almost on the turf, but just dont quite do it, i tend to find if im on a wobbler, it helps.

A good exercise you could do for balance is to go into the position of a sweep with you're knee almost on the floor, get two decentish sized wieghts and hold your arms out at full stretch trying to keep balanced. Its difficult at first but it helps your leg muscles get used to the position, also makes your arms stronger.

Its like a 2-for-1 meal :p

One thing i would recommend that you try it in the nets with a cricket ball and have your fall gear on because play in shorts in different to playing in Pads and also gettting down too a cricket ball is alot harder than getting down to a soft ball.

Back